PDA

View Full Version : Global Village Curricula?

adlib77
05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I'm a n00b and didn't slog through the archives!

These curricula sparked my interest, but I'm having some difficulty finding reviews. I've found a couple that just pretty much reiterate what's on the website, but no actual "we've used it, we love it/hate it" reviews. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or in the right places?

Here's the link: http://www.globalvillageschool.org/

It's a distance learning program, but they offer their curriculum plans for $168. You still have to get your hands on the recommended "living books" outside of that. The whole shabang (as in the teacher-supported bit) is way out of my league at $800 - $1100, but I do like the hippie undertones of the curriculum and the idea of using "living books", I'm just wondering if it's worth $168 to have it laid out for me. With a toddler and being new to homeschooling my 4th and 6th grader, it's an appealing idea!

Has anyone used it? Any initial thoughts on it? The $336 I would spend on the outlines would essentially be for the peace of mind of having a PLAN and being able to tell the army of naysayers that we are using an "accredited curriculum". Is it worth that?

taichimom
09-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Hi,
Just wondering if you ever found information about this curriculum? I was looking for more genuine reviews about this too. Though I can't help think if no one here's been using it, or talking about it, that that's not a good sign.

mommykicksbutt
09-13-2010, 09:07 AM
apparently they are on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/globalvillageschool?v=info#!/globalvillageschool?v=info

maybe you can find some curriculum user comments there.

taichimom
09-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Thank you! You do kick butt!

InstinctiveMom
09-14-2010, 01:09 AM
My kids are younger, so take this with a grain of salt... but if I have to still do a bunch of work on top of paying them, that's not worth it to me. I;d rather just get the book list and do our own curriculum with them. You can find lesson plans online for almost anything...
~h

SunshineKris
09-14-2010, 05:57 AM
I searched and searched the internets because it seemed intriguing but came up with nothing. I am guessing it's too new for anyone to have really given it a shot. In a world of homeschool curricula, most being religious, a new secular one is going to take some time to find users. And as Heather said, if you are paying them for a curriculum it would be nice to have it all given to you. Unless maybe the syllabus is relatively inexpensive.

mamaraby
09-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I had searched for the last few months to try and find reviews for them, but didn't end up finding anything either. In the end I contacted Global Village School directly and asked them if they had anyone I could contact for a review. They were very helpful and speedy in getting back to me with several folks I could email. I ended speaking with a couple of people. They had purchased more than just the curriculum, but also the support from GVS. The families that I spoke with really liked GVS. The one Mom I spoke with was a little bit surprised when she received the curriculum. She said it was more like a very long book list - ok, probably an annotated book list. They list the titles and such plus a brief description for each subject and then sections describing the activities or lessons you could do to expand the topics (mostly story and picture books), but nothing step by step or even outlines of activities of what to do. For math they give suggestions of other curriculums to buy, but they don't cover that topic specifically.

While from what I heard and from the books that they give in their sample document it seemed like we might really like it, in the end I had a hard time justifying the expense for what was mostly just a book list. I don't know if their second edition might include more planning resources or suggestions that might help justify the cost. In the end, though, it's more like a list of ideas and helps for creating your own lesson plans. I was bummed because I *really* wanted to get it - money was too tight this year...I wouldn't have had much left to buy anything else.

taichimom
09-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Thank you, that gave a clear picture of what is was like. Why I might want it, why not. I found out a friend in our homeschooling group has a Calvert curriculum for my youngest I can buy. And Calvert is easy enough to find on ebay, I'll just start from there, and adjust as needed. For now anyway.

Thank you all so much!