PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll: What is your favorite seasonal movie of all time?

Topsy
12-21-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm sick. Quite sick, in fact. If there were audio for this post it would be me whining about how doggone sick I am. All I really want to do is lay on the couch and watch holiday movies. Not that I have let myself get to that point yet, but it's what I WANT to do. I have definitely already worked my way through my top three, though. Which for me are...

1) Love Actually
Prime Minister: I'm very jealous of your plane, by the way.
The President: Oh, thank you. We love that thing, I'll tell ya.

2) A Christmas Story (oh, and this is a huge point of contention between myself and pandahoneybee who happens to hate this movie with all her being, so feel free to send her leg lamp holiday cards, won't you??) :_(D):
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. My personal preference was for Lux, but I found Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heady, but with just a touch of mellow smoothness. Life Buoy, on the other hand...

3) Elf
Buddy: Actually, I'm a human, but I was raised by elves.
Carolyn: I'm a human... raised by humans.
Buddy: Cool.

So, it's time to poll all of us SHS'ers. I just know there is probably a "write-in" flick that will surprise the heck out of me so I'm really looking forward to reading your answers on this one. In the meantime, I hope it doesn't take bronchitis and a sinus infection for YOU to find time to screen all your faves this year!!

Amanadoo
12-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Love, Actually with Home Alone as second.

inmom
12-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Other: The Year Without a Santa Claus , with the Heat Miser and the Snow Miser included. I remember it as a kid, and one year when they were toddlers, my kids insisted on watching it almost every DAY from July to Christmas.

Second place is Charlie Brown Christmas with A Christmas Story third.

farrarwilliams
12-21-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm a sucker for all things Frank Capra.

Love, Actually is so assembled, but I'll admit that I like it a lot as well.

Stella M
12-21-2011, 04:41 PM
A Muppet Christmas Carol is the only Christmas movie this Grinch allows....

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Charlie Brown Christmas, all the way. Snoopy in the Christmas pageant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YubVPL1X_AQ&feature=fvwrel) always cracks me up.

ejsmom
12-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Scrooged, with Bill Murray. It's funny, over the top, and still has that 'feel good' bit at the end without Santa bringing gifts, and isn't "Jesus is the reason for the season".

outskirtsofbs
12-22-2011, 12:12 AM
The Family Stone is my favorite Christmas movie.....followed by Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, and Jingle All the Way.

JinxieFox
12-22-2011, 04:59 AM
Other! On the "kid" side of things, I love Santa Claus: the Movie and on the adult rom-com side, I think Serendipity it just overlooked too often.

Busygoddess
12-22-2011, 05:15 AM
For an adult only Christmas movie, probably Love Actually.

For family-friendly is a tie: How the Grinch Stole Christmas - the old, animated one with Boris Karloff
A Christmas Carol - multiple versions of it, but the Patrick Stewart one may be my fave of all the versions I've seen
Miracle on 34th Street - the old, black & white one

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is dh's favorite Christmas movie.

pnctink
12-22-2011, 08:58 AM
I picked other because I can't choose just one!! As a kid, Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas was it. Then came Home Alone. Now I love them all. The Holiday is one that makes me cry every time. The Snowman is also a great animated film.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-22-2011, 09:03 AM
As a kid, Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas was it

I watched that every year when I was a kid! Thanks for reminding me to try to find it for my kids to watch!

clancariens
12-22-2011, 09:10 AM
I voted for Christmas Story. BUT, the Patrick Stewart audio book of A Christmas Carol is truly awesome. We listen to it every year -- usually on a road trip.

Riceball_Mommy
12-22-2011, 09:11 AM
I watched that every year when I was a kid! Thanks for reminding me to try to find it for my kids to watch!

If you have Netflix streaming it just popped up on there.

My favorites are Christmas Carols. The TNT version with Patrick Stewart, and the Muppets version are both must watches for me.

LAR
12-22-2011, 09:18 AM
For us it's not a film but the theater - The Nutcracker ballet is our favorite. In particular, George Balanchine's version because he uses more children. The girls love it. It recently aired live from NYC and it is playing nearly 24/7. If it isn't on the tv, then they have the cd going in the background.

Riceball_Mommy
12-22-2011, 09:20 AM
For us it's not a film but the theater - The Nutcracker ballet is our favorite. In particular, George Balanchine's version because he uses more children. The girls love it. It recently aired live from NYC and it is playing nearly 24/7. If it isn't on the tv, then they have the cd going in the background.

I love this too. I keep searching for a good live version that I can get too every year, but either nothing is close or the money isn't there. We did watch the movie/ballet version on Netflix.

pnctink
12-22-2011, 10:10 AM
If you have Netflix streaming it just popped up on there.
Yes, I came back to say that. I love how Netflix has grouped all of the Holiday movies and shows together this year. We're planning to watch the SNL sketches soon.

Aandwsmom
12-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I could list almost ALL of the ones in the poll!
Ok, VERY adult only movie: Bad Santa, DH and I watch it every Xmas Eve. I have a very warped sense of humor and to me this movie is a great way to end the chaos of the previous few weeks.
Family movies: Muppet Christmas Carol, How the Grinch Stole Xmas(cartoon Dr. Seuss version only!), Santa Clause, and Charlie Brown Christmas.
For myself(because DH doesnt like these): Elf and original Miracle on 34th Street with Maureen O'Hara
As a family we are fans of the short films on ABC, Prep and Landing This is the 3rd year I think for them.

Greenmother
12-22-2011, 05:58 PM
I have two: Christmas story and Scrooged.

Greenmother
12-22-2011, 05:59 PM
I could list almost ALL of the ones in the poll!
Ok, VERY adult only movie: Bad Santa, DH and I watch it every Xmas Eve. I have a very warped sense of humor and to me this movie is a great way to end the chaos of the previous few weeks.
Family movies: Muppet Christmas Carol, How the Grinch Stole Xmas(cartoon Dr. Seuss version only!), Santa Clause, and Charlie Brown Christmas.
For myself(because DH doesnt like these): Elf and original Miracle on 34th Street with Maureen O'Hara
As a family we are fans of the short films on ABC, Prep and Landing This is the 3rd year I think for them.

Bad Santa?! Man you are hard core! That movie is some twisted stuff! Billy Bob Thornton is awesome. Loved him in Slingblade!

MarkInMD
12-22-2011, 09:14 PM
George C. Scott as Scrooge. No one else ever sounded so appropriate saying, "Humbug!"

Emmet Otter a close second. We have it on DVD and love watching the bloopers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8dzWJtME3Q), especially how many takes they needed on the scene where the drum rolls out of the music shop in front of Emmet and his mother. Nothing like Muppet outtakes.

mommykicksbutt
12-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Nightmare Before Christmas, I love Tim Burton!

Second would be It Happened One Christmas (a remake of It's a Wonderful Life), I'm longing to see again the version where Marlo Thomas plays the protagonist, but that one hasn't made it to VHS or DVD.

ponygirl
12-24-2011, 12:12 AM
I never really thought about it but I do enjoy "Christmas with the Cranks" and the "Santa Clause" movie series.
What about a grown up movie like "Bad Santa"

bcnlvr
12-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Grinch and Polar Express.

pandahoneybee
12-26-2011, 06:44 AM
2) A Christmas Story (oh, and this is a huge point of contention between myself and pandahoneybee who happens to hate this movie with all her being, so feel free to send her leg lamp holiday cards, won't you??) :_(D):
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. My personal preference was for Lux, but I found Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heady, but with just a touch of mellow smoothness. Life Buoy, on the other hand...

UMMM NO so glad no one found my address to send me any of those AWFUL cards!! I am sorry to say that I do disagree with Ms Topsy on this one!! YES YES I can't stand that movie.... from you'll shoot your eye out, to the tough dare, to Topsy fav that leg LAMP, oh yea and the soap washing out your mouth! OF course my mother told me that I used to like the movie until my older sister told on me for saying some words that well were in the movie and having my mouth washed out!! I swear I went blind for about a minute, LOL!! All in all I love all the movies but the mere mention of this movie sends me running around with my fingers in my ears!
Hope you all had a great day!

AND I hope my Topsy is feeling better! I told her to cough it on someone she doesn't like... but of course she is too nice for that!
tehe!

JinxieFox
12-26-2011, 08:26 AM
UMMM NO so glad no one found my address to send me any of those AWFUL cards!! I am sorry to say that I do disagree with Ms Topsy on this one!! YES YES I can't stand that movie.... from you'll shoot your eye out, to the tough dare, to Topsy fav that leg LAMP, oh yea and the soap washing out your mouth! OF course my mother told me that I used to like the movie until my older sister told on me for saying some words that well were in the movie and having my mouth washed out!! I swear I went blind for about a minute, LOL!! All in all I love all the movies but the mere mention of this movie sends me running around with my fingers in my ears!
Hope you all had a great day!

AND I hope my Topsy is feeling better! I told her to cough it on someone she doesn't like... but of course she is too nice for that!
tehe!

I hate, hate, hate "A Christmas Story" too. I'd rather hang out with my ex-mother-in-law than watch that movie; would rather hear 8-bit music on an endless loop; would rather eat lava (like I did on Saturday) than watch that movie. :grin:

Hope you are feeling better, Topsy!

Sam
12-26-2011, 10:42 PM
National Lampoon is what I voted, but the original Grinch is huge here too. And Home Alone (the 1st one only)

hreneeh
12-27-2011, 07:34 AM
A Christmas Story then a Muppet Christmas Carol (it really is the best version ever).