View Full Version : The Unsung Homeschool Mascots - What kind of pets do you have at your house?

12-07-2011, 05:24 PM
For us, one of the biggest perks of homeschooling has been having the constant nuzzles of encouragement and excuses to take "petting breaks" from our work - - our two lovable mutts. One time when my youngest son was pondering the idea of going back to school one year, he finally settled against the idea based on the fact that he didn't think he could go all day without his furry companions.

Right now, we only have dogs, but homeschooling has also allowed us the opportunity to host several other creatures from the animal phyla over time. I'd love to know what kind of homeschool mascots you have hanging around your house. If your animal friends aren't listed, be sure to share them with us in the comments!!

12-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Heh. My birdie, of course, and I have 3 cats.

Technically I only have 1 cat (kitten) living with me right now. My other 2 are in the U.S. with my sister, because she and I both agreed that since they've already been to Korea and back, they don't need to endure the trauma of another trans-oceanic flight. So they're with her until we move back to the states in January 2014. My son tells me his misses them. (Aww.) :)

12-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Currently: 3 cats, 1 puppy.

For years, it was 2 cats. Then, I think it was last year, went down to 1. Then, around January this year, up to 3. Puppy came a few months ago.

However, we have plans for frogs (as soon as I figure out where to put them) and a worm farm. Hermit crabs have also been requested.

12-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Dogs, cats, chickens, and 'other,' which currently constitutes a gerbil. DS is gunning for a lizard and DH wants ferrets. I want them all to learn how to CARE for these animals before they get them, because I'm up to my eyeballs with what already lives here!

12-07-2011, 06:24 PM
One elderly dog for emotional support and footwarming, two incredibly mischeivious cats (who lay exactly where you are trying to write at exactly the wrong time).

The puppy is no longer here, but she taught dd a ton about dogs, how to be alpha, and how to train (including mastering the 'firm but gentle' voice).

ds also has a hamster, who is sometimes a visitor to the dining room. It's hard to get much done though.. she's far too cute and curious.

12-07-2011, 06:31 PM

DS has been asking for a dog for a long time and we'll probably get one in the spring, after we're settled in our new home and after the cold and snow of winter make puppy training more difficult.

A dog will be great for him--companionship, playmate, responsibility he's aching for. But, it will change our lifestyle too in that we won't be able to take spontaneous trips to a city or camp in certain areas or be out of the house all day. And of course, cleaning up after the fur...and worrying about ticks...but we're excited too. He has no interest in other creatures, other than dogs he's not an animal or pet kid *at all*. It cracks me up that puppies just melt his heart. :)

eta: we had chrysalids/butterflies and ants in the summer--do those count?

12-07-2011, 07:06 PM
We have two cats and a rabbit. One of the unexpected perks to homeschooling has been watching a closer bond develop between our kids and the cats. My kids are much closer to them now than they were when they went to ps.

12-07-2011, 07:20 PM
At first, we had only fish but the tank wasn't successful. We'll be trying our hand with aquariums again come Christmas day. Currently, we have 1 puppy (6 mos. old), 2 pythons (3ft. and 5 ft.) and a host of caged rats (breeders and feeders). Before I forget, we also have one outside, scraggly cat who won't go away.

ETA: One of the rats is actually a pet. He's a bald rat. Julia named him Harry.

12-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Just two cats. Jack and Daisy. We call them slinky and foopah. Jack is black, sleek, and shiny. He will move off of an ottoman like a ferret. Hence Slinky. Daisy is a fatso who eats butter if I don't put it UP, hence Foopah, or Foopadoop! They were born in a sewer in front of my friend's and she rescued them. I couldn't resist. They aren't really cats. Jack likes to be worn in a sling and will climb up my leg to get in. He sleeps there all day long. They are toilet trained, also. I love them!!! :)

12-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Everyone knows about my cat and his horrible litter habits now. Sigh. I'll go hide now.

12-07-2011, 08:41 PM
4 dogs, 4 cats, and too many fleas.

12-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Two parakeets, Batbird and Clover. Batman unfortunately broke Batbird's leg the first day we got him, which necessitated a half body cast for three weeks while the bone knit. That was one very pissed off little birdie for awhile. He mellowed out after the cast came off and the experience made him very tame.

Oooh. And I really, really want a hand-fed green cheeked conure, but just don't have room or time right now. Maybe when the kids are a little older and we've moved into a bigger place.

Stella M
12-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Guinea pigs,
Guinevere and Pippin :)

Ds wants a dog very badly. Circumstances mean he cannot have one :(

12-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Everyone knows about my cat and his horrible litter habits now. Sigh. I'll go hide now.

Foopah peed in the tub this morning....there is that better?? :) At least your cat can think it through and conclude that she can go in the tub and still be tolerated by her owners. Goood kitty! Could be your carpets, clothes, furniture....but she chooses tub. Gooood kitty!!

(it would be shorter just to hug you, I know...I'm working up to hugging)

12-07-2011, 10:31 PM
We have one dog. Our lazy little pug. He tried to push DD off my lap today so he could sit. Oooops. She would like a puppy for her birthday in April (and we've been wanting a second pug) so we'll probably have two dogs come spring. I'd have 6 (pugs) if I were allowed. ;)

12-07-2011, 10:50 PM
My friends say I have a zoo but I don't think it's that bad. We have a 5 yr old lab, a 7 wk shih tzu/ terrier puppy, 2 HUGE male cats, a guinea pig, a hamster, 4 chickens and a beta fish. We had a corn snake but I think one of the cats ate him. We LOVE pets!!

12-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Guess we will be the first to chime in with Chinchillas, we have 2 girls. Marshmallow and Smokey. Too bad I can't attach a photo, they are super social and friendly, yet if we have a few busy days they don't complain either!

12-08-2011, 12:17 AM
1 cat, 19 chickens, and we also have ghost shrimp and aquatic frogs, and earthworms, and a feral blue jay and one colony of honey bees.

On occasion we have rescued turtles, and snakes. But like the blue jay, we only keep them to heal them up and then turn them loose. The Jay comes and talks to us from the trees and steals chicken food, but we did it right. She won't get near anyone which is good. We wanted her to be wild and she is mostly. She just allows us to get within 10 feet of her, sometimes.

12-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Dogs. Four of them. Collectively weighing over 300 pounds, and one of them is only about 20 of that total.

12-08-2011, 01:50 AM
2 cats and 1 rat.

we also have various critters "visiting" - caterpillars/butterflies, tadpoles/frogs, lizards, etc :)

12-08-2011, 08:07 AM
In honour of this thread, I changed my avatar pic. We have one extremely large, cheeky dog who thinks he's a human, and until last week we had two lovely guinea pigs. We lost them both on the same day which was devastating. If DD's allergies settle down, we'll aim for a cat sometime next year.

12-08-2011, 01:38 PM
2 Dogs
3 Cats
Dd had a hamster but it died recently.
We had a spider living in our kitchen window that we named and would greet daily. It died yesterday.

12-08-2011, 09:50 PM
We have 1 Greyhound, 3 cats, 2 fish, 1 mouse, 1 guinea pig, and 1 rat (and every spring we have butterflies ;) )

12-08-2011, 10:01 PM
One extremely huge, lazy, whiny cat, 4 fancy mice, 18 white leghorn hens, and one extremely happy Dark Brahma rooster.

12-08-2011, 10:06 PM
One extremely huge, lazy, whiny cat, 4 fancy mice, 18 white leghorn hens, and one extremely happy Dark Brahma rooster.

This made me LOL. :D :D :D

12-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Well we live in the country so we have horses, cats, dogs, chickens, ducks and a goose named Boo Boo. We joke and say our school sport is equestrian, lol.

12-08-2011, 10:34 PM
My husband and LG are allergic to pretty much everything under the sun, so all we have is a single fish. Dork the Whale-fish or Jack the Dolphin depending on when you ask.

12-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Right now, we have three dogs. Two boston terrier mix rescues, and one left over from the one litter they had together (all 5 of the other puppies were adopted out to friends and relatives).
In the past, we've had dogs, cats, spiders, rabbits, fish, parakeets, a turtle, a tortoise, a crayfish, and a duck in various combinations (the dog/cat/rabbit being the worst and the spider/turtle/crayfish/dog being the best*for me*).
In the future we are hoping to find a piece of land so we can have a few goats and maybe some chickens. And I always keep a cabinet full of various critter diets, because stray/hurt critters find their way into our lives on a pretty routine basis.

Shelli Pabis
12-08-2011, 10:52 PM
We have two dogs, one cat, and seven tiny fish.

12-08-2011, 11:37 PM
We have a Bouvier, a Jack Russell terror, two cats, two Russian tortoises, two lizards, and a cockatiel named Gibson.

12-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Two indolent, spoiled, elderly cats. One is at least friendly and charmingly overweight. The other is sleek and terribly neurotic.

And I really, really want a hedgehog. I know nothing about hedgehogs or how to care for them (or whether, for that matter, a hedgie would even want to live in a house with two cats, lazy and unmotivated though they may be), but I truly want one.

12-10-2011, 02:46 AM
We currently have two parakeets (Snow Angel and Blueboy-brothers raised together from eggs), one siberian husky (Lady-rescued and the "neighbors" stay away because they think shes a wolf), and a small rescued turtle. I want some bunnies, chinchillas, hedgies, or a monkey. We love the pets we have currently, but we would like more. At this time we are choosing to wait until we have the chance to move again. Less animals to cart across the country will make life so much easier, at least thats what I am hoping.

12-10-2011, 10:13 AM
And I really, really want a hedgehog. I know nothing about hedgehogs or how to care for them (or whether, for that matter, a hedgie would even want to live in a house with two cats, lazy and unmotivated though they may be), but I truly want one.

I really want a goat, but I don't think I can have one in my suburban backyard...

12-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Around the farm we always have plenty of animals. The main house pets are a couple of dogs, one a little Maltese dog (Bella) and the other a larger Blue Heeler cross (Cully). Cully is a very friendly dog who always wants to play. Bella is an anti-social b**** who only likes her immediate human family. Outside we have a bunch of cats, 51 laying hens and 75 beef cows, two bulls and their calves, of varying levels of temperament. Some of the cows we can pet and some are panic-stricken when we look at them. We used to have a little miniature goat, too, but we sold her because although a pleasant sort, she had a habit of pounding down doors to get at cat food or chicken food.

12-10-2011, 01:04 PM
2 dogs - loosely based on normal dogs. 1 very large cat, sea monkeys (seriously) and we may get a couple of chickens this spring. I'd like ducks but I'm afraid dog B (small jack russell, beagle, chihuahua mix) will try to eat them since she thinks eating anything that moves is her job.

My DD is hoping beyond hope for a horse but we don't have the funds and don't have the room and no we won't lease a half share in a horse at her riding stable! That's been her latest ploy but it's not realistic for us at this time.

I'd like another bird or another Guinea pig - I loved that little guy - he was very entertaining until he went paws up after 5 years.

12-11-2011, 01:14 AM
We have wild husky-mix that roams the countryside but comes home for food and naps. She's really is pretty much wild. She only allows me, my girls, and other smaller children to get close enough to actually pet her. She was born in my home, but through various circumstances she just never became tame. My husband has been feeding her for 3 years, and she still won't let him pet her. My neighbor gives her tons of food and snacks, and she won't let her get very close either. I can't take her anywhere or get her veterinary attention (because while she might let me pet her, she won't let me handle her beyond that...) but we still consider her a pet. We're not exactly dog people, but we love her and want her to be as happy and healthy as her fairly unique circumstances will allow.

Our *real* household pet is our kitty. My husband and I are really, really fond of cats. I absolutely can't live without one. We have a sweet boy who adopted us about 1 years ago. He was likely abandoned by some neighbors that moved, and he just showed up at our doorstep one night. How he made it past our wild dog that eats anything small and running, I'll never know. But he came right in our house and never left. He's just great. I know that some people have therapy dogs that help to sooth them and keep them centered. That's what our kitty-boy is for me. If I'm having a bad/frustrating day, I can just walk over to him and bury my face in his furry belly. It always makes me feel better. (Him? Notsomuch.) LOL.

He isn't exactly helpful when it comes time for homeschool lessons though. He mostly leaves my daughter and her work alone, but if I sit for more than 3 seconds with any sort of paper in front of me, then he MUST come plant his arse directly on it. Then he'll look at me and be like "Oh? You didn't want cat butthole on your very important papers? Welp, that's a shame." before settling down for a nice nap on top of everything. He's kinda spoiled... But we love him anyway.

12-13-2011, 01:19 AM
We have a dog (F - Kirby Puckett), a cat (M - Riley Tuttle), and we are taking care of my sister's cat indefinitely (F - Garbage). We also have three chickens, one of whom is named Hank... Not really sure why, especially since they are female.

Our homeschool mascot is a bear though, just in case anyone was interested.

12-14-2011, 01:22 AM
two dogs and a cat here. we had two cats and our 20 year old kitty died this summer. which introduced the topic of death (and cremation) to our dd5. now she likes to pretend her stuffed animals are dead and she takes them to "heaven" but the bodies get burned or stay with us. its a little morbid. at least she has stopped telling random people about our cat who died and we burned her body. I got some strange looks from that.

we also just recently told her that our 6 year old dog is a pitbull. to distinguish between our new dog, a boxer. we never used specific breed names before because we lived in an apartment where pitbulls were not allowed and didn't want her casually mentioning the word pitbull around management.

12-14-2011, 08:10 PM
We have two dogs (a boston terrier/beagle mix and a tiny yorkie/dachshund mix that never grew), a fish tank with lots of fish and a betta fish that lives alone. Two rats, two aquatic frogs, and gerbils. In fact, we just had a litter of baby gerbils born yesterday. So currently there are 12 gerbils, but I've been told that ALL of the new gerbils will be rehomed when its time. Of course I was told that about the last litter and we still have four of the six as pets. :-)

12-22-2011, 12:39 AM
My son has animal dander allergies so he can't have fur bearing pets in the house. However, he is the kid in the neighborhood who has playdates with the neighbor's dogs, though. He loves them.

This year we spent vacation at the beach and came home with hermit crabs, which turned into a whole science project. I'm now financially invested in these crabs enough that I could have gotten a dog. Who knew what all these critters need to survive more than 2 weeks? They molt and change shells, and need a certain temp and humidity, and minerals. They have become the subject of many a sculpture and painting, poem, and writing subject. We also have a dwarf water frog. That, at least, is simple and not expensive.

12-22-2011, 12:51 AM
We have 3 dogs. Maggie, a big black lab, Molly a little black cocker spaniel and Clancy a 6 month old Great Pyrenees. We have 3 cats. Scout a tuxedo, Singa a tortie and Thomas, a black fluffy cat. Then there are 2 fish, they are nameless and neglected but we've had them for over a year so I guess we don't neglect them too much, lol! Outside we have 11 chickens for egg laying. Most of them have names but a few of them are really hard to tell apart. And we have two miniature spotted asses, Jubilee and Trinket. They are super cute.

We will probably add some more chickens for eggs in the spring but other than that I think we are maxed out on pets. :)

12-24-2011, 01:10 AM
We have two cats, a dog, chickens and a horse.

We will soon be adding to our increasing brood with another dog and we are looking for a nice quiet pony that I can do some harness work with and that will teach the youngest to ride. Teaching is not our horses vocab, shes mine, all mine wa ha ha! Psycho horsey comes to mind, although she is cheaper than a shrink.