PDA

View Full Version : Question about finishing the school year in public school

LauraQofU
05-20-2010, 04:12 AM
I am having a hard time convincing my daughter to finish out the school year at her elementary school. We only have three weeks left, but between trying to deal with her recent type 1 diabetes diagnosis and being completely and utterly bored at school, she's having a rough time. She stayed home on Tuesday due to issues with her diabetes, and then again today because her blood sugar was high, and she was depressed and crying and I would have forced her to go, but I knew I'd be getting a phone call at about 9 to come and pick her up.

Normally, I would tell her to suck it up because it's just a few more weeks, but I can't see the point in forcing her to go, just so she can call me and beg to come home. And the more stressed out she is, the harder it is to maintain her blood sugars.

So, I'm going to talk to her drs and get their advice, but I'd like to hear your thoughts as homeschooling parents. How would you handle this if it was your kid?

Shoe
05-20-2010, 09:09 AM
First, I'd look into your state's truancy laws. Here, I'd have to deal with the truancy officer if I pulled my daughter out of school at this point, unless she had a medical excuse signed by her medical provider. If I informed them that I was going to homeschool for the rest of the year, I'd be responsible for all the reporting and evaluation requirements due by July 1, even though it's only a few weeks (I know because I've looked into it-my daughter doesn't want to finish up the year either). That's a lot of work to try and get done in a few weeks.

But I don't know what your state requires. Of course, if your doctors think she should stay home and you can get a medical excuse, then let her stay home and try a little introduction to homeschooling before you jump right in.

Teri
05-20-2010, 10:37 AM
In Texas, we can just withdraw them with no explanation, no truancy officer UNLESS we didn't withdraw and the child was just absent for three weeks.
You need to check California's laws. I think they are much stricter.

reversemigration
05-20-2010, 11:13 AM
I feel for you, Laura!

I'm going through this with Max right now, although not to the same degree. It's not just end of the year slacking off - he wants to be done with school NOW. Given the problems he's had with other students there, I don't blame him. However, we're going to perservere and just get it done. One thing that's helped is using our eraseable planning calendar to count down the days until freedom, with a bit of ritual and fun. We also try to keep the focus on the fun end of the year stuff going on - homework being finished for the year, play day coming up, etc.

It's evident that Cassidy is having a rougher time, though, so I'm not sure that any of that is applicable. Shoe and Teri have good words about checking to see what's necessary prior to withdrawing, if you decide that route is best. I wish I could offer better advice...I think you just will have to go with your instincts about Cassidy's feelings and reactions.

ginnyjf
05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Laura, I'm so sorry you and your daughter are having to deal with so many things at an already busy and stressful time of year! You've received good advice to check out the laws in CA, so all I can offer is sympathy. Zack has five days of school left (hurray!) and ever since we made the decision to homeschool, it's been a monumental struggle to get him out the door every morning. I've been tempted so many times to just pull him out and be done with it, but there's a part of me that wants that closure of a completed school year, too. Since your daughter is having so many health issues, you might be able to talk to her doctors and get a valid medical excuse for ending the year early. Poor girl. Zack has had his own struggles and sometimes it's harder on the moms than it is on the kids. Hang in there.

schwartzkari
05-20-2010, 02:06 PM
I think Shoe and Teri gave the perfect advice.

The HSLDA can give you a breakdown of the laws in your state: http://www.hslda.org

Snoopy
05-20-2010, 08:53 PM
What do they do in school anyway for the last 3 weeks? Not much. All the state-mandated testing is done, and the season of award ceremonies and graduation ceremonies and field trips and field days and what not has begun. How do I know? I have 5 kids in p.s with 3 more weeks of school to go. My 14 y.o told me he has to turn in his textbooks tomorrow (to be fair, they are moving to a new school location this summer and apparently they need to pack up the library but I would think they would pack up the library books BEFORE they pack up the textbooks!). So I'm thinking that if you plead with your doctor and explain what emotional and physical mess your daughter is right now, he/she might be willing to help out. I would recommend you check out your state laws or district rules and call your doc. Good luck!

Snoopy
05-20-2010, 09:01 PM
In Texas, we can just withdraw them with no explanation, no truancy officer UNLESS we didn't withdraw and the child was just absent for three weeks.
You need to check California's laws. I think they are much stricter. Teri, I thought I had read from a couple of TX members here that they had been dragged in front of some criminal court because their kids had missed 3 days of school, not 3 weeks? Denise had posted one of the stories here (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/230-Lurking-in-Texas-now-what?highlight=truancy)

LauraQofU
05-21-2010, 02:07 AM
I had a long talk with the principal today, and he was more than happy to put her on independent study until the end of the year. Since she qualifies for a 504 plan and they refused to meet with me immediately following her type 1 diagnosis, they don't really have a legal leg to stand on in terms of taking me in front of a judge, and he pretty much said so. However, when I informed that she would not be returning to his school next year, and that the decision to homeschool her in sixth grade had been made prior to diagnosis, he was very upset with me and I got the "kids need to be in a conventional classroom" lecture, as well as the socialization lecture.

Snoopy
05-21-2010, 06:35 PM
However, when I informed that she would not be returning to his school next year, and that the decision to homeschool her in sixth grade had been made prior to diagnosis, he was very upset with me and I got the "kids need to be in a conventional classroom" lecture, as well as the socialization lecture. And hopefully you told him to f*** off. Good grief! They totally fail your kid to the point that she is making herself even sicker and yet he STILL insists on lecturing you on your choice?!

But yay for the Independent Study deal! Was your daughter excited?

Shoe
05-21-2010, 07:16 PM
And hopefully you told him to f*** off. Good grief! They totally fail your kid to the point that she is making herself even sicker and yet he STILL insists on lecturing you on your choice?!

But yay for the Independent Study deal! LOL! That was pretty much what I thought when I read Laura's post. The nerve of him.

I'm glad it worked out for you, Laura, regarding the independent study.

LauraQofU
05-21-2010, 11:35 PM
My daughter was thrilled with the independent study. As am I. She was even happier when she realized that one of the perks of homeschooling is that she can be at the movies watching Shrek with her cousins while her friends are stuck in class...