View Full Version : Weekly Poll: How much "schooling" do you get done in Nov and Dec?

11-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Well I am the first to say, that November and December are the HARDEST times of the year for us to get in a whole day of schooling. I do think that we are building life skills, with money management, shopping for both gifts and food, hand and eye coordination with wrapping and the full body workout that comes with lifting all those decorations up and down from their year long storage! Not to mention the near death experiences with spiders who made their homes all around my decorations (they are stored in the garage up high perfect for them!) and being the guinea pig for your mother-in-law's or best friend newest food creations:)

As far as English, math, history and science go we really fall a little behind in those. But that is one of the reasons I LOVE HOMESCHOOLING! There is nothing to make up just start right back where you left off, right? So I would say we get about 50% of what I think we should be doing during these months, how about you?

11-17-2011, 02:18 PM
I took two weeks off completely in Dec. last year. We've been so laid back this year so far that I don't feel at all like we 'need' the vacation but most likely we will still do at least a week off. Otherwise I just keep on doing what we've been doing. We don't really have a lot of holiday obligations so while I'm still busier it's not horribly crazy.

11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
We stick to our usual schedule, pretty much. Our holiday activities are on weekends, so school days are the same as the other times of the year. We take four days off at Thanksgiving and a week between Christmas and New Years. We took a longer break last Christmas but it was really hard to get back into the routine in January. I also want to be able to take a week off every six weeks so we don't get burnt out but can still finish up by the end of June.

11-17-2011, 02:33 PM
He he he... Schedule?

I go year round, just to play catch up with the days/weeks we take off all year. We live an hour from grocery, so that's a once a week all day affair. THen there's dh's family two hours that-a-way. And the moving... twice in a year. I take the holiday itself off, but htat's about it.

I wish we could do something in the car, since we're in it so much. But I get car sick, and ds passes out when the engine turns over :)

11-17-2011, 03:05 PM
My kids actually get bored if we take too many days off. We typically take the day before Thanksgiving/Christmas, the holiday, and the day after off, but that's about it. Either way, we don't worry too much about it, as they school a bit in the summer too.

11-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Right now we are working on a more relaxed schedule, so I'm pushing less to make sure everything gets done. We have a lot going on right now anyway so we are doing school when we can.

11-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Last year we took all of December off due to vacations, but I definitely won't repeat that. This year we'll be moving just days before Christmas so we'll probably have to take a week or two off around that time as we get settled in. But in general I feel like we aren't where we "should" be at this point in the year, so I really want to minimize taking too many days off "just because". Like Hampchick, we don't have many specific holiday obligations so the holidays themselves don't really affect our daily routines. Anxiety levels do go up for DS, though, even though we are low key about it; I'm seriously dreading how the added stress of moving right in the middle of the holiday season will affect him.

11-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Last year we mostly stayed on track during that time. I made the decision this year to school right up to Christmas Eve Eve then take off all of the actual Christmas season instead of trying to be off ahead of time. Pre-Christmas is just stressful no matter one. It can be good, happy stress, but still. Post-Christmas, 12 Days of time is chill. I'm trying to put all my chill time in one spot.

11-17-2011, 05:25 PM
For the past few years, our schooling has kind of naturally picked up around this time. The weather starts getting worse, so the kids are more up for indoor activities. The holidays mean they're more interested in creating stuff (for the past two days, DS has been utterly absorbed in creating Thanksgiving cards for everyone). Also, I start thinking "Gee, we're really getting on into the year. Perhaps we should be doing a bit more" :p

11-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Most likely a normal schedule until about the second week of December and then we're going to work on this wishlist of activities:

Take apart box - old phone, camera, calculator, door knobs, etc. (I buy some of the stuff at Goodwill. Boys love taking apart things and learn how they work.)
Write/produce a podcast - like an old-time radio play.
Learn about John Williams.
Learn about Hernando de Soto and his time here in the southern Appalachians
Continue to write in nature journals
Watch some movies in Spanish

And whatever else they want to do. :)

11-17-2011, 07:50 PM
we take the week of thanksgiving off, and the week between christmas and new year's day off, and keep on trucking. we're on three weeks and off one week, so the holidays don't cause much of a blip for us.

christina in lawrenceville, ga

11-17-2011, 10:00 PM
We are taking the week off next week for Thanksgiving and then we'll be back at it for 4 weeks before we take a couple weeks off at Christmas. We've been in a somewhat relaxed groove lately but we're mostly staying on schedule so hopefully things will keep chugging that way!

11-17-2011, 10:18 PM
I think last year December was a total write-off. I'm hoping this year isn't quite as crazy. Last year had the added bonus of a new baby though...so really July through December was a write-off. This year we've gotten SO much done already compared to last, that we should be okay to take a few weeks off. We really accomplished alot from Jan-July last year, so I'm hoping for the same "2nd half push", kwim? That said, i'm still stressing already about how much we're NOT doing. I need to up the ante in teaching french, which seriously stresses me out. And getting DD8 to start writing. Those are my 2012 goals...

(we're Canadian so TGiving is done and gone, so at least we don't have that at the end of Nov!)

11-17-2011, 10:20 PM
I just keep going. Since we follow DD's school schedule, I plan around events in advance and have a bunch of easy days planned. Tomorrow is the last day before our week off for Thanksgiving, so we're doing maybe 1/3 of the usual workload. Meh. It works :)

11-18-2011, 12:53 AM
We take up to the whole week of Thanksgiving off and two weeks off for Christmas. Since we plan to take that time off and I know how busy our school days get during these months, I plan accordingly. So, there isn't usually an issue doing everything I plan. If we do 'fall behind' that's fine too. I plan for a certain number of weeks for the year, but that plan is flexible & we're fine spending extra time.

11-18-2011, 10:12 AM
I put ~we do what we can and I stress about it~ although it's not really a pile-up. I dont plan out week-by-week or even month-by-month. We just continue on to the next thing on the list when we finish the previous on the list. We've been doing prehistory (with a couple little side trips) since April. I don't worry too much about that since we're just doing first grade and pre-k, but I do like to keep going with our math and language arts stuff. I (theoretically) got more structured and serious about school this year so I will make an effort to continue at least the basics through the holidays. The past couple years we did very little except crafts from Thanksgiving through Christmas and it usually took about 2 weeks into January to get back into the groove. I'm hoping this year will be a little different but next week is definitely a wash-out. DH will be home doing construction and repair projects around the house so I doubt we will be able to do anything but get out of the house as much as possible. And after Christmas will be spent trying to organize all the new crap.

11-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Last year we had about 6 weeks in Nov/Dec that had almost no school. I vowed we weren't doing that again this year. I had planned to take off this week, next week, and the week between Christmas and New Year. I never told DD we were taking this week off. She's been doing all of her work without complaint.

11-18-2011, 08:48 PM
I said do what we can and stress about the pile up, but I think that reflects the fact that it's ME. I'm always stressed about some pileup, somewhere, and not necessarily homeschooling.

My kids tend to get pretty antsy before Christmas. My goal is to take off two weeks around that time, but it's really going to depend on what they can mentally sit through (for instance, I don't consider Halloween exactly a 'holiday' in the normal sense, but for the two weeks leading up to it even my schooling-calm dd couldn't concentrate). We are only going to take Thanksgiving and the day after off, but next week will be a 'hit all subjects in a fun and painfree manner' week, so not going to stress about actually learning anything new at all.

11-20-2011, 11:19 AM
We are off starting tomorrow for Thanksgiving and then we go back on Monday 11/28. We do two weeks and then we are done until the first Monday in January 2012. I make up our school calendar in the summer, planning out our mandatory 148 days. I've already scoped out our studies for the next two weeks. DD has started to read books willingly, lounging on the couch, so she will still be learning something on her Christmas vacation. (So, I don't think we do a whole lot in Nov. & Dec!LOL.....oh well..........)

11-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Holidays are not unusually busy for us. This year we are taking the typical, long weekend for Thanksgiving. For Christmas, we are off the week before and the week after. We'll pick back up on January 2nd. I initially only wanted to take the week between Christmas and New Years but DD7's birthday is Dec. 20th and if nothing else, I'll have more time to work on January's goals and plans.

11-22-2011, 10:33 AM
We're traveling for both big holidays this year (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and in between we're tearing out and putting in a whole new kitchen... so if anything gets done I'll be happy. I'm not going to stress. We're right on target for where I wanted to be at this point in the year, so if we take a little time off it won't take much to catch up. A few doubled up subjects some days and some weekend work. Nothing too big. I also planned the year to end May 31st, so we have plenty of cushion.

11-22-2011, 05:32 PM
My children thrive on routine. We will keep as close to our normal schedule as possible.
So -
Thanksgiving week - 3 days schedule, extra daddy time on Friday
Nov. 28-Dec. 23 - regular schedule (minus gym classes), 1-2 holiday-themed activities per week.
Dec. 26-January 6 - vacation
January 9th - resume regular schedule