View Full Version : Weekly Poll: How many days a week are you home?

11-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Well this one always makes me laugh, because when you think of HOMEschooling you think you are ACTUALLY at home doing it!

ALL the things that we are signed up for we are gone ALMOST 6 out of 7 days! Yes I included the weekend, especially when I think of homeschooling. We do Art on the weekend with dad, volunteer, now sport camps (LONG STORY), Spanish (doing a little every day), nature hikes (with a educational twist) and SO much more! I can only think of Monday and Thursday that are open for doing anything at home OR to add in another outing:wasntme:

So how many days are you home normally each week?

11-02-2011, 09:36 AM
We live a bit far from town and so try to keep outings to two days. But in those two days-we pack it all in there. Time with friends, classes, field trips, grocery shopping, lunch and even a bit of actual school work. We do live next to the national forest and are able to go on a hike in the forest/mountains on the 5 days that we stay home-so that gets us out of the house if even for an hour or two. Starting in January-we will bump up the outing days to 3 days per week. We will add an extracurricular and some volunteer work.

11-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Well, on the calendar we have co-op on Wednesdays, field trips on Fridays, the weekends are totally packed with sports and various activities, and at least one day a week we have something set like art and science programs at the library. Adding to that shortly as we get settled will be guitar lessons and DS is taking on a volunteer gig at the library, plus we're breaking our one sport per season rule by adding in basketball (and later in the season, cross country ski team). In between all that we're house hunting, so DS is getting quite a lesson in finances and real estate. :)

11-02-2011, 10:15 AM
We're away from home on Monday and Friday afternoons, and Tuesday mornings on a regular basis, but we're away at other times for various field trips on a less regular basis.

11-02-2011, 10:56 AM
I chose 2 because that's our average, though it can fluctuate between 1 and 3.

There are 2 days of Tae Kwon Do at the Youth Center, 3 days of errands each week, 1 day out bowling, and I aim for at least 2 playground days - more when it's warmer weather. Of course, those days overlap. The errands, bowling and playground days usually happen on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, while Tae Kwon Do is on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

So, yeah... Not home constantly, though sometimes I wouldn't mind if we were. ;)

11-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Seven. I leave home as seldom as possible. And when we do do things I prefer to do it as early as possible in the morning, and be home by 11am. So we're still home most of the day. Maybe twice a month, we'll spend the day out and about as a family...usually just hanging out downtown or the zoo. My kids aren't in any activities, though.

11-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Does this mean home all day, or home most of the day? I said one, because we go out for something almost every day, but sometimes that's just for a couple of hours.

11-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Does this mean home all day, or home most of the day? I said one, because we go out for something almost every day, but sometimes that's just for a couple of hours.

Ditto. We're out all day a couple days of the week (though we usually manage to get in an hour or so of school before we go). We're out most of the day or a big chunk a couple, and then we're out for just one short class a couple days of the week. On average, we have 1-2 days where we're basically home all day.

11-02-2011, 12:26 PM
We're never out all day. That would be exhausting! The kids extracurricular activities are in the mid to late afternoon (Tuesday and Thursday) and our homeschooling group's park day is two hours on Wednesday morning, weather permitting.

11-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I laugh every time I see a description of homeschoolers on the go all the time - because that is totally not us. :D We are home 5-6 days a week.

11-02-2011, 12:51 PM
I voted other, as it can vary wildly between 1 day to 7 days a week depending on what is going on.

11-02-2011, 02:26 PM
I put three, but that is only because we are down a car and STUCK at home on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Any other homeschool year the answer would have been zero.

11-02-2011, 02:46 PM
It depends on the year, the season, and if you mean all day or part of the day. Even on days that we go out to do something, we're not gone all day, unless it's a trip to another city (which we only do a few times a year at most). Right now, the kids aren't in any structured activities outside the home. They play with friends in the afternoons & on weekends, but still do their schoolwork on weekdays. We occasionally sign up for one-time classes, but not often since we only have 1 running vehicle & it's gone much of the day. We tend to get out more in Spring & Autumn because the weather is better.

11-02-2011, 02:51 PM
DS is out doing something every day, but we also school at home most days. So I split the difference and voted 4! ;)

11-02-2011, 06:35 PM
For us it would just depend on the week. Some weeks we are out of the house everyday, some weeks only a few times. It just depends on what is happening in any given week.

11-02-2011, 07:55 PM
We are home around 3 days a week .The other two days are our field trip days or the volunteer days. I think the children can never be to young to volunteer in our community( could be helping the elderly or the food bank or even picking up garbage.)

They helped pick the 3 days of intense studing and the other two are relaxed study days or review. It works for us.

11-02-2011, 10:40 PM
There are some weeks when we are out and about everyday it seems and other weeks when we almost get cabin fever. On average though, I'd say we are generally in the house about 3 days a week. Once January starts, that will change. Then we'll probably be home long enough to get our table work finished. At least, I hope we are.

11-02-2011, 11:33 PM
We are never out all day. At most, it's for a few hours. We have scheduled things 4 times a week, but we don't sit at home the other three days. We try to get out a bit every day even if it is just to run a short errand.

11-03-2011, 09:15 AM
I put 4 but really we are homebodies. We have homeschool bowling Wednesday afternoons. Weekends we may have a special event at the museum or head down to MIL's house or go camping in the Spring/Summer/Fall - but most of the weekend stuff isn't directly homeschool related.

Depending on the time of the year, we may have a park day, a special homeschool event, a nature hike or a trip to the museum. But mostly we are home.

11-03-2011, 09:32 AM
We are home 5-7 days a week most of the time during Spring/Fall/Winter. We do not leave our neighborhood/property at all most days.
During the week dd and I are limited to places we can get to with our feet. There isn't anywhere to really walk to that we would want to go to that often or feel like braving yucky weather to get to.

11-03-2011, 09:47 AM
I voted 5 because we are currently down to one car. We tend to stay home much more in the winter anyway, then spring/summer/fall we are almost always out. Right now we go out for story hour and to go grocery shopping. We don't have any extracurricular things going on now either.

11-03-2011, 11:34 AM
I voted 4. We go out for library trips, errand runs and swim lessons. I try to save $ on gas and combine my outings. On Saturdays we go out for fun field trips with Dad. I prefer to stay home and sometimes wish I could do it more.

11-03-2011, 04:32 PM
It's a hard question to answer because we go out for part of almost every day. Our routine for years has been to study in the morning and schedule activities in the afternoons. Monday afternoons are park day, Tuesdays swimming, Wednesdays music lessons, Fridays gymnastics. Not all of those activities go on all year long, so usually we have two or three unscheduled afternoons, but they always get filled up with playdates, errands, library trips, field trips, and other special events organized by our homeschool group.

11-03-2011, 05:15 PM
I work part-time outside the home three days a week, so there are two weekdays I can count on to at least plan to be at home, but sometimes that doesn't even work out.

11-03-2011, 05:36 PM
i hate staying at home too much. I get stir crazy. But I also hate crowds so we are picky about activities. We have four days a week of structured activiites (Dance, gymnastics, taekwondo, scouts), we go out for field trips as well either before those structured activities or on the weekends, plus we go out on most weekend days just to get out and have fun (hike, grandparents' house, some community activity). We may not go out every day of the week as I like some down time but too many days in a row at home and I'm ready to pull my hair out. I answered "one"

11-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I picked 4 because I try to be home 4 solid days, otherwise it doesn't feel like we're getting enough done. We do take a day off here and there. We just finished a co-op that used up Friday mornings. We go to the library once/week and piano lessons once/week but those don't take much time. I find that I decline some activities that I know my boys would enjoy just because I don't want to get behind on the school work.

11-03-2011, 09:05 PM
We have Coop on Wednesday. Friday we usually have some sort of "field trip" and now DD is starting voice lessons. Riding lessons take half a day with travel and lesson. The weekends can be full swing crazy or home relaxing depending upon DH's work schedule. Bball starts soon, soccer is over and gosh I know I'm missing something! I have no idea really! We're either home or we're not!

11-06-2011, 11:44 AM
It really depends what season it is. If it's soccer season, we take a lot more time off of lessons because we are at games and stuff several times a week. If nothing is going on or most of our activities are at night, then we are always home. We are busy every Monday though, we don't generally do lessons that day.

11-06-2011, 12:59 PM
rumbledolly, is your daughter on an AAU basketball league/is she serious about it? (Is it sad that I'm excited to see that SOMEone else has a kid in traditional team sports??) :P

I said 3, but I guess I should say we tend to stay home all day 3 days, and parts of other days. Like others, we try to schedule things for afternoons whenever possible, though around here, that doesn't necessarily mean we get ANY freaking schooliness done in the mornings. Wednesdays are co-op, and even though we're only signed up for classes for 2 hrs and the co-op takes place less than 15 min away from our house, they're in the middle of the day & we don't really get anything else done all day. (But I've noticed DS1 doesn't beg to "go to a friend's house" every day now that he gets to go nuts with his buddies at co-op every week...so maybe it's worth it.)

11-06-2011, 05:46 PM
We go out maybe one day a week. There are.. ah.. issues right now that have led to that. My goal is to have the kids in a few different activities, but until I have the means, we are where we are.

I know we aren't necessarily typical, though. My mother was talking about teaching a class and she was going to pull from a group of kids who 'didn't have the same opportunities' as other kids... and she hit on homeschoolers. I had the HARDEST time not laughing at her. She is sweet, and means well, but jeez homeschoolers are the kids who DO get to talk to all sorts of people. The ps kids are the ones much less likely to be exposed to what she wants to teach! Ah well.

11-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Raegan - no she isn't interested in playing AAU. She plays on a local league at the community center that is run by a group called Academy of Basketball. Her coach and some of the players do AAU. The head of the program/coach is the guy who teaches those who want to get to the next level or are very serious about bball.

Soccer is more her sport. She is thinking about trying out for travel league this year instead of rec league.

11-07-2011, 10:39 AM
I picked two - up from one just last week! I changed our schedule a bit to combine some activities because I really wanted two days when we didn't HAVE to go out. If we feel inspired to do something that's great, but I didn't want to be expected somewhere at a certain time. It already feels more relaxed around here!

11-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Lately we have been gone way too much - five afternoons a week every other week, four on the other weeks, plus one morning per week for vision therapy. The limited amount of time we are home, the constant interruptions of the 6 yo, and the scattered attention and delay tactics of the 8 yo have all combined with the result that we are not getting enough school done. He has learning challenges and really does need intense focus and lots of practice in order to learn, so this has been a big problem. I have become a deep-fried ball of stress over it, with growing panic about him falling further behind. So I am making some changes. I dropped his tutor because he was no longer getting enough benefit from his time with her to be worth the afternoon at home we were giving up. That is one less afternoon we have to go somewhere. I dropped DS2 out of his piano lessons because he got through the first book and he really is not interested in continuing right now. That is another afternoon we get to stay home. DS1 will finish his third round of VT soon and this time I believe he is really done, and since that was the same day as piano, when it is over it will give us another whole day we will be able to stay home.

11-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Glad I wasn't the only one wondering! I assume it means 'home all day' because all of us are home for at least some period, every day, necessarily, if only because we sleep there. I put one, because currently, Friday is our only truly free day where we don't have anywhere we have to be except home, and watching an after-school kid (who is extremely nice, polite, smart, and creative...and was so miserable in the after-school program that her parents pay me to have her over here instead, and it's a blessing!) means we HAVE to be home by 2 to be here when she gets off the bus, so we can't go on daytrips anymore or visit friends who live any distance away. Anyway, with ballet twice a week, and preschool (2 hours for 2 mornings of a lovely nonacademic playschool, and yes, we're still homeschoolers) for the middle child, and a baby, I had to figure out when I was going to grocery shop, and spend most mornings frantically rushing through chores alongside my eldest, cooking for the whole day if we'll be on errands in the afternoon, etc.

I just decided to host an afternoon open craft time on the only day of the week when we don't have to go or do anything. Since we get to stay home all day and be as lazy as we want that morning, and since we can't go anywhere in the afternoon because we have to be home anyway for the after-school kid, it made sense to invite any and all friends to come join in at the kitchen table and make stuff together that day, so that despite not leaving the house on Fridays, the kids still have something fun and social to look forward to.

11-11-2011, 01:25 AM
I put seven because we don't have any WEEKLY PLANNED activities...(oh wait we do go out to lunch once a week with my FIL...maybe I should change that to six?) We go to the park, play with friends, library, etc...but each day is mostly UNPLANNED...we get up, do school and play most of the day by ear...depends if the kids are needing to get out, hang in, we are out of milk & need to go to the market, etc...totally flexible clan...I really dislike to commit myself to something too far in advance...I like to feel out how the day is going before I have to drag grumpy over sugared kids to a birthday party or someone's house for a playdate...

This is all part of my simplicity parenting...I used to run like mad here and there and everywhere for soccor, basketball, ballet, kindermusiK, piano, kung fu, swim, school, gymnastics, playgroups, playdates, this event or that event, birthday parties, etc...when we came home to homeschool, we came home...we are home in the sanity of our peaceful calm...we get out there now and then for something and ugh, I can't wait to get back to our little world now...it's so much nicer then all the crazy running around I used to feel was so important for the kids...I see MUCH happier kids now then I ever saw when they were socialized up the kazoo...

We also encourage playdates to come to our house as much as possible...we have a great playground here at our house and hanging out at home over the park is more comfy at times. (snacks at the ready, if cold or hot, we can be in or out, etc...yet if it's a friend who's child just wants to play with my kid's toys and not my kids, or a uber messy kid then I meet up at the park because that is less stressful.