PDA

View Full Version : t-shirts

dbmamaz
05-17-2010, 01:06 PM
This is something I've been thinking about recently, and actually posted 2 different places in a sort of what-if . . . but maybe we can actually DO something. I am thinking about secular home schooling t-shirts, not necessarily specifically about this website (tho thats fine, too). There are a few things here and there - but i think most secular-ish home school t-shirts are either leaning towards the pagan or leaning towards gamers or anarchy . .. not just general secular home schooling. We could look for what's available, or we could maybe do a call for designs and start a cafe-press shop (no, i'm not volunteering, really).

what do you guys think?

(and for the record, seeing as how I hate bugs, I'd still be unlikely to buy that square w the ladybug on a t-shirt, tho i'm sure others would like it)

dbmamaz
05-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Oh, actually I think these are cool lol http://www.cafepress.com/sk/homeschool4all but not as impressed with these http://shop.cafepress.com/secular-homeschool

Snoopy
05-17-2010, 05:02 PM
It's interesting. I have chuckled in the past at many items of homeschooling-wear but I have to say that I wouldn't wear any of it because I usually don't wear any logos or sayings on my shirts. I like my Tshirts plain and preferably black :)

However, I'd put a window decal on my car, or carry a tote bag with the secularhomeschool.com logo on it.

Topsy
05-17-2010, 08:46 PM
I keep meaning to set aside time to come up with some really clever logo/design, but I truly haven't had the time to "set.." Maybe in the very near future!! Here's hoping...

In the meantime, if anyone comes up with a clever idea, let me know!!

Melyssa
05-17-2010, 09:12 PM
I have a couple general t-shirts I've worn in the past to large homeschool events but where the general public was mixed in. One says "I teach my kid at home" and another has famous homeschoolers on it. I'd probably buy a tasteful secular homeschool shirt as long as it doesn't take any particular stance or attitude since we're not really anti-religious or rebels or whatever.

Museling
05-17-2010, 10:13 PM
"Secular Schooling @ Home"
"Darwin Approved Home Schooling"
What would be cool too is a cartoon drawing of the evolutionary tree but with homeschooling charactitures (sp?)
"Our Homeschool makes Big Bangs" With a graphic of the universe or a galaxy on it.
"Putting Education back in the Home"
"Home School Rocks" Cleverly 'borrowing" from the School House Rocks designs
"The world is our classroom"
"Learning not Schooling"
"Unschooling = Real Learning"
"Warning: Homeschooling Mom/Dad Zone! Learning in Progress!"

LOL! I think I've come up with enough for now! Feel free to use/modify/borrow/steal! :)

Snoopy
05-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Denise! Look at you!! I love the "Home School Rocks" idea :)

dbmamaz
05-18-2010, 12:21 AM
I think there are several 'world is our classroom' shirts on cafepress. Someone on my fb group suggested "I am the product of evolution and I homeschool" - but a pro-evolution homeschooling t isnt quite the same as a secular homeschooling t . . .but they do both rock. Oh, actualy, I think I've seen home school rocks shirts, too. but that does nothing to distinguish us from the christain homeschoolers - most of them are ok with christain rock, I think?

amphibology29
05-18-2010, 12:50 AM

I love this one! I hate when people assume homeschooler = creationist, especially since, for my family, religion has no place in our lives at all. The other non-creationist slogans I've seen are pretty crass or put down religion, and that's not what I'm about. I just want something that makes it clear we are not creationists without being rude to others. :)

Shoe
05-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Usually, my t-shirts are from the various running races and triathlons that I do (free with the race), or horror movies (I love my "Army of Darkness" and "Bride of Frankenstein" shirts), but I'd be up for a secular homeschool one too. After a short Google search, I quite like these ones: "I Go to School At The Same Place Abraham Lincoln Studied" (http://www.cafepress.com/+ash_grey_tshirt,1205092) and "I am a homeschool kid. The world is my classroom" (http://www.cafepress.com/+homeschool_kid_dark_tshirt,90210463).

I quite like this mug too: "My child is always an honored student. We homeschool' (http://www.cafepress.com/+honored_student_large_mug,344699541).

schwartzkari
05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
So, I will admit that after looking at this thread and the links, I totally bought the white t-shirt that says "Hardcore Homeschool Mom." LOL! It fits my personality. :)

dottieanna29
05-18-2010, 04:52 PM
"Secular Schooling @ Home"
What would be cool too is a cartoon drawing of the evolutionary tree but with homeschooling charactitures (sp?)
"Our Homeschool makes Big Bangs" With a graphic of the universe or a galaxy on it.
"Putting Education back in the Home"
"Home School Rocks" Cleverly 'borrowing" from the School House Rocks designs
"The world is our classroom"
"Learning not Schooling"
"Unschooling = Real Learning"
"Warning: Homeschooling Mom/Dad Zone! Learning in Progress!"

LOL! I think I've come up with enough for now! Feel free to use/modify/borrow/steal! :)

I love these ideas! I'd love any of these on a big baggy hoody or a mug. :D My favorite is the Big Bang one - too funny.

I like the shirts in the first link Cara provided as well.

I do live in t-shirts (when its hot) or hoody's (if its under 70 degrees) with various logos, sayings, etc. on them so I definitely would wear a homeschooling one. The only hard part would be convincing DH these count as required homeschooling materials. ;)

belacqua
05-19-2010, 04:36 PM
I love this one! I hate when people assume homeschooler = creationist, especially since, for my family, religion has no place in our lives at all. The other non-creationist slogans I've seen are pretty crass or put down religion, and that's not what I'm about. I just want something that makes it clear we are not creationists without being rude to others. :)

I agree entirely.

That also applies to the rather snotty pro-homeschool t-shirts I've seen. I don't think mean-spirited slogans do any favors for homeschooling's reputation. I've been told more than once that homeschoolers are perceived by some as smug and elitist, and t-shirts putting down public schools won't help with that.

Love the ideas you all are coming up with!

Melyssa
05-19-2010, 09:50 PM
So, I will admit that after looking at this thread and the links, I totally bought the white t-shirt that says "Hardcore Homeschool Mom." LOL! It fits my personality. :)

I wish the Hardcore Homeschool Mom came in a t-shirt since I don't wear tank tops. pout
I REALLY like that one too.

Melyssa
05-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Doh. Never mind. I clicked the menu links on the left and found one!

schwartzkari
05-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Doh. Never mind. I clicked the menu links on the left and found one!

I didn't buy the tanktop, I bought the v-neck :)

BPier12
05-20-2010, 08:54 AM
I quite like this mug too: "My child is always an honored student. We homeschool' (http://www.cafepress.com/+honored_student_large_mug,344699541).

Ok, does it make me a total sap to admit that this made me a little teary? I really like the sentiment of this phrase because it defines perfectly, for me anyway, why we decided to make this step and start homeschooling. It isn't that our child always needs honors and accolades from some outside source, it is because we honor him for who he is and who he will become and we want to give him the best situation possible in which to grow and learn.

schwartzkari
05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Ok, does it make me a total sap to admit that this made me a little teary? I really like the sentiment of this phrase because it defines perfectly, for me anyway, why we decided to make this step and start homeschooling. It isn't that our child always needs honors and accolades from some outside source, it is because we honor him for who he is and who he will become and we want to give him the best situation possible in which to grow and learn.

Very well put Beth! and no, I don't think you are a sap, just a loving mother who wants the best for her son :)

Shoe
05-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Very well put Beth! and no, I don't think you are a sap, just a loving mother who wants the best for her son :)

Hear, hear!

Snoopy
05-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Ok, does it make me a total sap to admit that this made me a little teary? And does this make me an idiot that every time I see the word "sap" my mind automatically translates it to SAP, the now ubiquitous payroll/HR system used in many large companies? I was traumatized by that system when we brought it on at my last job. **shudder**

But back on point, I echo schwartzkari's sentiment, it was very well put. And I'm a proud member of the "will cry at the silliest commercials" tribe, so I understand the teary eyes very well!

Melyssa
05-20-2010, 11:46 PM
I was trying to explain to my daughter what an 'honor student' is after she saw the mug picture, she's also seen the bumper stickers. So she says, "But mom, wouldn't every kid in school be an honor student if they got all the attention from the teacher like I do from you?". Yup, probably. She's only 10 and totally got it. LOL

BPier12
05-21-2010, 12:08 AM
:
"But mom, wouldn't every kid in school be an honor student if they got all the attention from the teacher like I do from you?". Yup, probably. She's only 10 and totally got it. LOL

Exactly!! :) :) :)

dottieanna29
05-21-2010, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=Snoopy;3793
But back on point, I echo schwartzkari's sentiment, it was very well put. And I'm a proud member of the "will cry at the silliest commercials" tribe, so I understand the teary eyes very well![/QUOTE]

The credit card commercial with the song "100 years" came out while I was pregnant with my last and it always makes me cry.

I'm with you on the traumatic experience with SAP as well.

Snoopy
05-21-2010, 09:45 PM
I was trying to explain to my daughter what an 'honor student' is after she saw the mug picture, she's also seen the bumper stickers. So she says, "But mom, wouldn't every kid in school be an honor student if they got all the attention from the teacher like I do from you?". Yup, probably. She's only 10 and totally got it. LOL

She's a smart cookie, that Brenna!

dbmamaz
05-23-2010, 12:03 AM
idk, SAP was so complex, that I had to become a bit of a 'power user' which got me some attention from the higher-ups. What pissed me off the most was the 'reporting team' who I was tangentially working with (i took their reports and 2 i made in outlook and put them together for upper management in a spreadsheet) - anyways, I showed some interest in the program where you actually create SAP reports, and got the 'dont worry your pretty head about that' type of response. That left a bad taste in my mouth. And "Stop All Profits" probably wasnt the MAIN reason the dot bomb went under . . .

Snoopy
05-23-2010, 12:30 AM
idk, SAP was so complex, that I had to become a bit of a 'power user' which got me some attention from the higher-ups. What pissed me off the most was the 'reporting team' who I was tangentially working with (i took their reports and 2 i made in outlook and put them together for upper management in a spreadsheet) - anyways, I showed some interest in the program where you actually create SAP reports, and got the 'dont worry your pretty head about that' type of response. That left a bad taste in my mouth. And "Stop All Profits" probably wasnt the MAIN reason the dot bomb went under . . . Reading your post I'm getting all worked up all over again about the deployment for that stupid system and it was over 7 years ago, lol! Those reports were the pits. They sent us someone to stay with us for several weeks (at our company's expense, I'm quite sure) to design the reports that we needed and even she would get the biggest headaches. I'm usually very good with computers and programs of all sorts but that one... arrggghhh.

pandahoneybee
05-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Ok I like these
"Warning: Homeschooling Mom/Dad Zone! Learning in Progress!"maybe with a cartoon of a mom or dad pointing a ruler at you! ok maybe not but I like the saying.
or
or
"My child is always an honored student. We homeschool'.

These are all great! I was trying to think of one myself but I nothing.....

Riceball_Mommy
05-23-2010, 11:12 PM
"My child is always an honored student. We homeschool" I really like this one, I'm tempted to get the magnet.