View Full Version : Weekly Poll: What fall activities are you doing this year?

09-28-2011, 06:49 AM
It's that time of year again!! One of my favorite time of the year,actually, FALL, AUTUMN whatever you call it:) For us, fall seems to be a time where we can relax, just a little and do some fun field trips, nature hikes, community events and anything else that pops up.

BUT my all time favorite thing about fall is that candy lovers holiday Halloween, we are all about making new decorations to decorate the house up spookier than the last year. This year the new decor for Halloween is making some new gravestones, found a great site here (http://www.squidoo.com/halloweengraveyards). So what are doing for fall this year, anything fun? Come on share it with the rest of us...

09-28-2011, 09:06 AM
We always enjoy apple picking. We also plan on going to a pumpkin patch. We make lots of apple pies and applesauce. We have beautiful foliage so we enjoy that by taking scenic drives, hiking or family bike rides. Last year we found an awesome corn maze so we will probably do that again this year. Halloween isn't a huge deal for us so we don't decorate other than carving jack-o-lanterns. Dd likes crafts so I usually find a few for her. The neighboring town hosts a scarecrow making event and then displays the scarecrows along the roads for several weeks, hundreds of them! So we sometimes do that.

09-28-2011, 09:12 AM
We'll go apple picking and probably to a pumpkin patch. We'll do Halloween activities like Trunk or Treat and our local museum is having a Halloween themed special event.

09-28-2011, 09:59 AM
We are going to go visit a farm with the local homeschool group. I really want to go there anyway, because I love their apple pie, and Mini Riceball loves the barnyard activities, but I need to do something with the group to count for our attendance this semester. I'm counting the vacation we just went on as a big field trip too, there were educational parts :)
I'm hoping to find some more activities within the group to participate in. There are a few playground days coming up we might do one of those.

09-28-2011, 06:53 PM
We will probably hit a pumpkin patch, already did some canning, will do Halloween at the community center and make some awesome costumes...

09-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Hiking, hiking and more hiking! In fact the nature class that we attend via our hs network will be hiking this week with a trained naturalist. Should be fun and educational!

09-28-2011, 08:05 PM
All of the above and more. We are catching up on our Bug Hunts. There wasn't much to photograph during the summer when it was 112 on some days and 108 on most others. But with a little rain [not nearly enough] and cooler temps we have been able to get some good photography.

We are also working on Halloween Costumes.

And planning our camping trip to the big BioBlitz, and who knows what else we might find to do.

We found a swarm of feral honey bees today on our bug hunt! That was exciting :p

09-28-2011, 08:17 PM
We've already been to the apple orchard and canned many pints of applesauce, but I'd like to can many more. I'm sure we'll hit up a pumpkin patch, I'm hoping to go to a county fair, we'll continue doing lots of hiking and biking and enjoying the empty beaches, we'll take a leaf peeping trip to the Camden hills (have to show off this beautiful place to my deprived California relatives! :) ), and I'll continue to bore everyone to death with all my photographs of our continually changing landscape.

We do the bare minimum for Halloween, so no plans there. I'd love to get out camping but we have too much going on, and it's getting dark really early which isn't much fun. At least we can take lots of day trips.

We are soaking in as much warmth as we can before the season turns once again. My kitchen is humming with this favorite of seasons but we've resisted the wood stove so far. It won't be long! :)

09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
We need to get our butts in gear and go pick some apples, but we haven't yet. We'll definitely do the big, cheesy hayride, giant slide and baby animals "pumpkin" festival that's out in outer Virginia and we're doing a corn maze with co-op. We already did the Renaissance Festival, which, strictly speaking is not fall themed, but only comes in the fall.

09-28-2011, 09:56 PM
We're going apple picking this weekend (cider donuts!) and my kids are chomping at the bit to start decorating for Halloween.

And we'll do the usual leaf jumpin', pumpkin carvin' and cider drinkin'. :) Fall is my favorite season, but it seems to only last a month before the really cold weather sets in.

09-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Autumn is my favorite season. So, it's a big thing around here.

We've already done the Autumnal Equinox celebration & our seasonal goals. We make & hang decorations throughout a good portion of the season. We'll spend the next month prepping for Halloween (my favorite holiday). October is horror movie month around here. We'll spend the month watching horror movies & Halloween themed movies & shows. We've also got several books with a Halloween theme planned as read alouds & quiet reading. Our park district has some free/cheap events going on every weekend in October, and we hope to do as many of those as possible. We'll go to the apple orchard, which will be a full day thing. We don't do the pumpkin patch anymore, because the apple orchard has pretty much the same stuff (and then some) and doesn't charge for entrance. It saves us money we to just go to the orchard, which means more money to spend at the orchard. After Halloween, we'll take down Halloween decorations & start putting up Thanksgiving ones.

Of course, we also go on hikes, spend more time outside, and do charcoal gravestone rubbings. The Autumn weather is the best weather for my asthma & sinus problems, so it's the time of year I am at my best (usually). Plus, this year, we get to take the puppy with for much of our fun stuff.

09-28-2011, 10:13 PM
We're going HERE (http://www.gavertreefarm.com/FallFestival.htm) this weekend. I think I might be even more excited than the kids.

My husband has already decorated the front yard for Halloween with the boys. (Yeah, we're a little coo-coo about it.)

09-29-2011, 06:55 AM
We're going apple picking this weekend (cider donuts!) and my kids are chomping at the bit to start decorating for Halloween.

And we'll do the usual leaf jumpin', pumpkin carvin' and cider drinkin'. :) Fall is my favorite season, but it seems to only last a month before the really cold weather sets in.

Cider doughnuts...yum! I'd never heard of them before moving here but oh are they yummy!

09-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Apple picking, apple pies, homemade apple butter, apple cider... :D Hiking. A trip to the same pumpkin patch we've visited for the last 7 years, complete with corn maze and hayride. Raking leaves. Making scarecrows. I love fall!

Stacey B
09-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Spent today taking a scenic steam train ride through the changing aspen trees. We've been doing lots of putting up of fruits and veggies. Next week on Tuesday we're heading out for a week of camping. I'd love to get down to thencorn maze but it's only open on the weekends.

10-01-2011, 01:52 AM
My DH and ds6 went on a camping/outdoors skills outing last weekend (min age was 5yo, so ds3 and I stayed home and read a couple dozen books). I've had my fill of cold-weather camping this year in May/June in the Sierra Nevada and Arizona, so I can't say that I'm going to miss it this fall. Normally we take a 3-4 day camping trip that first weekend of autumn, though. We'll be doing a big hayride/bonfire with a local parenting group near the end of the month, fall and halloween parties with our hs friends, and at least carve some pumpkins. I want to go to a pumpkin patch, but they all seem to be charging admission PLUS you have to pay for any pumpkins, so I'll just buy it at the farmer's market or Trader Joe's, thanks. There are some other fall and Halloween crafts I think the boys would like to make and send to grandparents, too. We hike a lot & need to make up for lost time from this scorcher of a summer. I LURVE hiking in fall!