PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll: How do you feel about this past homeschool year overall?

Topsy
05-12-2010, 06:40 PM
May, for me, has always been a "take stock" kind of month. I look to see what has worked for us, what hasn't, and then begin to make plans on how to improve things for next year (we generally take a traditional summer break between school years).

How about you? Take a minute to look back and evaluate how you feel about things. Would you change any of your homeschooling curriculum? Would you take a different route toward your goals?

Weigh in!!

Melyssa
05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
None of those answers was adequate for me but I chose "Our homeschooling year was disappointing. I feel discouraged." mainly because I am disappointed in the gaps in time we had due or our move and settling in to a new state, and that we didn't do nearly as much during the year as we usually do. It stresses me out and I feel like we're "behind" even though logically I know she isn't truly behind academically. I am definitely NOT discouraged though. I know these feelings are only because of the upheaval we had in our lives this past year. I know it'll get better from here on out.

lesajm
05-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I love our RU lifestyle... living and learning.

JinxieFox
05-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I chose "Our homeschooling year went pretty much as planned. I feel satisfied." However, I wish I had planned *better* and more activities to reinforce the lessons. That is the goal for 2010-2011: more fun and interesting activities, especially for history and science!

amphibology29
05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Our year went way better than expected. I started off so organized and lost it all about 2 months in, figured I was a failure, and then realized school was still happening every day anyway. My son learned so much this year and jumped ahead 2 grade levels in reading and we even never sat down at the table after October. Of course, he was only in Kindergarten this past year, so it's all pretty much life experience at that point anyway... but I'm pleased nonetheless. :)

Skylarks_Nest
05-12-2010, 09:40 PM
I can't answer because my kids went to a charter school for the past few years, but we're considering going back to homeschooling because we miss the freedom and learning on our terms (despite the awesomeness of our school). We'll "practice" homeschooling as middle-schoolers this Summer, and decide if we want to go back to school or not and for how long as soon as we can.

So I'm gathering resources once again and getting excited about our Summer adventures. =)

Snoopy
05-12-2010, 09:57 PM
I chose "pretty much as planned" because it did. I planned and we pretty much followed the plan's broad terms although I did change our resources several times and even our methodology. However, we didn't do most of the projects I had identified for us to do in History or in Science so no, I am not totally satisfied with how this year went. However, I am planning (again!) on using these last 4 weeks of official school time to work on those same projects that we skipped since we are coming to the end of our formal curriculum and hoping that Noah and I will enjoy these so much that we will continue working on them well into our traditional summer break. The thought of letting him watch cartoons all day is just too depressing, as much as he's looking forward to that :) I am very satisfied with his progress this past year!

Firefly_Mom
05-12-2010, 10:27 PM
What I really needed was the option: It's May already? What in the hell happened to the year?? Alas, that wasn't one of the choices... ;)

leav97
05-13-2010, 09:11 AM
What I really needed was the option: It's May already? What in the hell happened to the year?? Alas, that wasn't one of the choices... ;)

No kidding. Our year went pretty much as planned or a little better. I hadn't planned on doing much for school work with DD being either pre-K or K this year I wasn't worried. Then we started added more things this spring. I've been amazed at how fast she learns.

Museling
05-13-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm not going to vote since I haven't officially started yet....however, I am feeling very good, inspired and ready to go with our first year. I'm getting many words of encouragement from my own son who is sooooo ready to start. He is ready to see what it'll be like to do work at home, I've even caught him looking through some of the books and worksheets ready to get started. Everyday, I'm feeling more and more confident that this is the right decision and as much as I hate waiting, I'm glad that I have because it's helped me get over the initial excitement and I feel that much more prepared. Woo!

Teri
05-13-2010, 09:48 AM
I chose better than expected.

This past year, I had my 7 AND 9 year old doing the 9-11 level of MBTP. The curriculum is already factoring in "giftedness" in its levels and I still bumped her up two levels. I did that because she successfully did her level and Joseph's level last year and her reading level is very high.
She did fabulously! In the beginning, I didn't have her write as much since she is younger and doesn't have as much experience in it. By then end, she was doing work comparable to Joseph. She easily read all of the novels with greater speed and equal comprehension to her brother.
After the first semester, I was a little worried about how long it would take us, but things picked up very quickly after the new year and have gone fabulously.

schwartzkari
05-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I chose better than expected because my daughter was (and still is) very eager to learn. We will start 1st grade work in August this year. For the last two years, we slowly built on reading and math skills and took lots of field trips to museums, gardens, etc. We are currently on lesson 26 in Teach Your Child to Read and her progress is amazing to me. I figure once she can read, we can study any and everything her little heart desires :) I already have our curriculum together for this coming Fall and I'm currently working on lesson plans. She'll be taking dance again this year and a homeschool art class at this cute local studio. We are both very excited to start another year soon!

Snoopy
05-13-2010, 09:05 PM
None of those answers was adequate for me but I chose "Our homeschooling year was disappointing. I feel discouraged." mainly because I am disappointed in the gaps in time we had due or our move and settling in to a new state, and that we didn't do nearly as much during the year as we usually do. It stresses me out and I feel like we're "behind" even though logically I know she isn't truly behind academically. I am definitely NOT discouraged though. I know these feelings are only because of the upheaval we had in our lives this past year. I know it'll get better from here on out.

Hey Melyssa, I think you had a perfectly good reason for not accomplishing everything you had set to accomplish this year. Moving to another state must be a huge deal and quite an upheaval, I would imagine.

I see that 3 other people selected the same answer as you did, but no one else commented on why they feel this way. I encourage those folks to share their feelings here. Sometimes, just stating what you think went wrong, or that you feel discouraged for one reason or another, is the 1st step to getting the help you or your child might be needing. And sometimes you just need to hear some encouragement from other parents who have been through what you've been through and this group is perfect for this :) ((Hugs)) to all of you who had a disappointing year. I hope that you can get past this and get to a point where you feel more encouraged.

Busygoddess
05-14-2010, 12:00 AM
I had to really think about it before answering, but finally decided on "Better than Expected."
Our year was kind of rocky, but we expected that. We're finally figuring out dosages for Dea, so her attitude & schoolwork are improving somewhat. She fought about Math, which we expected (she hates Math), but less than I expected. Writing isn't her favorite, or strongest, area. So, I was rather surprised when she told me she wanted to write a book for each topic she covered in Science & History. The writing started off kind of choppy & disconnected, but improved so much over the year. The last book she handed in was Water (the last topic for Earth & Space Science). Her writing style has improved so much. Plus, she correctly used the word ubiquitous in the first sentence. She still needs a little work on punctuation (can't seem to get the hang of colons & semi-colons), but the improvement so far has been fantastic. She's still a little sloppy with some of her work, but she's made more progress than I would expect for one year.
Jay also had a great year. I wasn't expecting any problems with him & we didn't have any. He loves learning. When he asks to watch a DVD, he almost always chooses an educational one - a documentary, Mythbusters, or Magic School Bus. Plus, his Reading, Math, and penmanship have improved so much.
So, all-in-all, I'd say our year was better than expected.

SunshineKris
05-14-2010, 01:53 AM
I am not voting as we haven't begun yet, but I just wanted to say I am encouraged by the responses. I am glad to see that most people are happy and it's for the most part going well. It really gives me more confidence that while it will likely not be perfect the work will get done, my kids will be educated (and hopefully it will be fun for them) and my family will be happy.

Snoopy
05-14-2010, 07:33 AM
That's awesome to hear that about your daughter's writing!

inmom
05-14-2010, 07:41 AM
This year went pretty much as planned. I just wish time didn't fly so quickly. There's soooo much more we'd like to do and just don't have enough time for!

hjdong
05-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Hmm, none of the above? The year definitely didn't go as planned, I wouldn't say it went better than expected, but I'm not disappointed either. Progress was made, goals were met, maybe not quite the way I planned, and with way more upheaval than I planned (does anyone plan upheaval?), but overall, I'm satisfied. Mostly, I guess, it took us way longer to find our groove this year than any other year (all 2 others), mostly because of the change to traditional schedule, but also because S tried some classes that didn't work out and it threw a wrench in our schedule, mid-year.

That's not to say I don't have changes in mind for next year. :D On to bigger and better things.

dottieanna29
05-14-2010, 10:19 AM
I need a "none of the above" option. Our year didn't go quite as planned - there were quite a few things we didn't get to, weeks where we didn't do much of anything and it's getting even worse now with the nice weather coming. But, I'm not really disappointed or discouraged. I went into this planning for last year (09-10) and this year (10-11) to be practice years. Neither of the kids I'm going to be homeschooling are school age yet. My son will be five this summer and our school's wouldn't want him for kindergarten until he's six. He can count past 100, to about 400-something by 2's, 5's and 10's; he's learning addition; he can read and spell basic CVC words; knows all kinds of stuff about the human body, plants and art (a few of the units we actually managed to do). So, I'm not at all concerned. I plan to get more structured in January 2011. Until then, we're probably going to get even worse since it looks like we'll be building a new house this summer - on the same property as our old house while we still live here (and only about 10 feet behind the existing house). Not going to be very conducive to school work. The only thing I'm really disappointed in and want to work on more is having the kids watch less television.

Riceball_Mommy
05-16-2010, 01:02 PM
This was our first year homeschooling, and I started out really worried about everything. I think it went better than expected. This was supposed to be our test year, find out if it worked, and if it didn't there would always be Kindergarten. Well I loved it, my daughter loved it, in fact she was sad when I told her Pre-K was over. She was very happy to hear that we could keep doing school over the summer too (it will just be without the lesson manual). I'm really excited for summer, and for next year.

BPier12
05-16-2010, 01:19 PM
I chose better than expected.

This past year, I had my 7 AND 9 year old doing the 9-11 level of MBTP. .

I'm still trying to learn what all of the curriculum acronymns mean-- can you tell me what MBTP is?

Thanks!

Shoe
05-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Beth, I believe it stands for Moving Beyond The Page, a Homeschool Curriculum for Creative, Hands-On, Gifted Learners (http://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/).

I voted for: "Our homeschooling year went pretty much as planned. I feel satisfied." But that is only half right. I feel satisfied, but it didn't go anything like I had planned. I learned a lot though, and have become a lot more flexible in how I will do things next year. My son had to spend a lot more time on math than I had expected or hoped, but I think it was worth it-he was quite far behind where he should have been and struggles with math, so if he was able to get some of the basics covered better, it was worth it.

BPier12
05-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Beth, I believe it stands for Moving Beyond The Page, a Homeschool Curriculum for Creative, Hands-On, Gifted Learners (http://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/).

Thanks, Shoe! :)

laundrycrisis
05-22-2010, 06:32 PM
The only option that would really fit for me would be "roller coaster" or "huge eye-opener". Our son's progress was painfully slow and very discouraging the first half of the year. The second half, he had vision issues diagnosed and did three months of vision therapy. He made great progress with that and we are finally getting somewhere. So I suppose I am very pleased with the second half. Then again, when I look at what he did accomplish in the first half, now that I know what he was struggling against, I know he had to work really, really hard to do what he did. Of course I am proud of him for that. And I'm pleased that I realized there must be a problem and found the right help for him. Academically he's not where I had thought he would be by now when we started the year, but considering the obstacles he's overcome, he's doing really well. I'm optimistic about his future progress. His optometrist moved out of state, but we are continuing with a new one. He seems to be picking up speed with his reading skills. I believe it is all going to get easier.

pandahoneybee
05-22-2010, 07:45 PM
laundrycrisis~
I know what you are talking about, we went thru something similar our first year and I am happy to say that going on 3+ years now that I still have all my hair and he still has his!
It can be very frustrating but it sounds like you all are on a good path now!
We definitively are!

Marmalade
05-25-2010, 02:19 PM
I put "Better than expected" simply because we didn't have much of a plan! I'm happy with this homeschool year!