PDA

View Full Version : 1st year Homeschool Curriculum Plan -- Suggestions on What I have?

CharNC
05-07-2010, 10:47 AM
This will be our 1st year homeschooling. I was strongly leaning towards Calvert but after doing some additional homeschooling research we found that we might like doing our own daily schedule. Here is what we plan on doing right now, we are still researching so it may change but I was curious what some experienced homeschoolers thought. We did not want to start with to much planned so we figured we would focus on the core subjects and then add more to it as we feel necessary.

My son will be in 1st grade

Reading - Hooked On Phonics (We are currently using Pre-K and K and it is working well) & lots of library books

Writing - Handwriting Without Tears

Spelling - Free curriculum from Spelling City focusing on Dolch Words and a few Literature-based Words for 1st Grade

Math - Saxon Math 1st Grade

History - Well Trained Mind - Story of the World Vol. 1 Combo Pack

Science - He will go to a Science class once a month and we will build our studies based on what he does in those Lab classes each month (example, They will study Insects and Bugs and make a Worm home; so we will use worksheets from the internet and books on insects and bugs to expand what he learned in the class).

Art - Monthly Art Classes at the local Art Museum

leav97
05-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Looks good to me. The only thing I would consider adding is something for Music and possibly something like Writing with Ease or IEW or Writing Strands.

crazymama
05-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Looks good to me. For music look at www.classicsforkids.com it's free ;) I don't think I would add a writing program yet.. but am a big fan of the Writing Strands Series.. I don't think my littles will start book 1 until 2nd or 3rd grade. Maybe you can just do a journal if you want to add writing.

schwartzkari
05-12-2010, 05:56 PM
I think you did a great job planning the core classes! Is your son interested in learning a foreign language? That would be my only suggestion. My daughter picked out "Hooked on Spanish" and "Let's Learn the Alef Bet, an Introduction to Hebrew." We are not going to do both at the same time though :) lol.

Melyssa
05-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Looks good! The only suggestion I'd make is throwing in some simple social studies. We didn't do formal history at that age but I had a lot of fun teaching about current holidays and why we celebrate them by doing some simple crafts and projects or free download worksheets from places like http://enchantedlearning.com. We also did simple geography with the globe, learning about continents and oceans. Just basic stuff.