View Full Version : Weekly Poll: How much time did you take off from homeschooling this summer?

08-24-2011, 06:00 AM
This was a question that I would have answered differently the last three years of our homeschooling adventure. This summer was so different for us. We were so busy with extra prep writing classes for my oldest, starting Spanish class, music lessons, swim team, getting ready for having a ((GULP)) high schooler and of course, fixing up the house to sell (hopefully this fall). Even though I do consider that we did unschooling this summer with a bit of WE HAVE TO GET THIS DONE. But over all we didn't have a set schedule like we usually did in past years. We basically kept going with small breaks or shorter school weekdays. As I said this year was so different, we had or I should say I planned to take a 3 week break after we did our testing the second week of June. I didn’t feel like we were ready to start high school after only 3 weeks of planning that I decided that after the 4th of July would be good. Then life kicked us in the butt with family and house stuff that I decided OK right after their summer camps in August. We finally did start this past Monday. Even though I was still a bit nervous because I still didn’t “feel” ready for this year with a high schooler. We did it and I had to laugh when my boys opened my much prepared google spreadsheet with their “to dos” until we go on vacation in September. My youngest asked so sweetly “ I am supposed to do this in ONE DAY?” LOL, I said, “Yes honey, with my help and welcome to the 4th grade!”

So how much time did you take off and was it longer than you thought or shorter because you are SuperDAD and WonderMOM? Not that any homeschooler really takes any time off, I know I for one am always doing something educational or a life lesson with my boys. I am basically talking about making sure all the subjects that we want to cover are covered;0)

08-24-2011, 06:22 AM
we took 2 months off but during that time we took a week and went to London (during the riots) and Edinburgh. It was a vacation for for us but also a history, art, and architecture lesson for sonny so it counted as school. Also during the 2 months he had three novels to read, Last of the Mohican's, Brave New World, and Gunrunner Moon.

08-24-2011, 06:24 AM
Gunrunner Moon.

We read that last year!! The boys loved it!

08-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Yeah, we going to do Novel Writing this year using Ed Ditto's curriculum.

Stella M
08-24-2011, 06:35 AM
I voted, even though we haven't had our summer yet :) We always end up taking 3 months...December everything starts to wind down, then Jan and Feb are too hot to move, so we mostly just swim and sleep and read and eat mangoes. We power up again in March.

Except for dd13 who can't stand having such a long break; she does a modified schedule from New Year on.

08-24-2011, 06:57 AM
We took a couple of months off this year because of our move. It was longer than I anticipated and I'm not sure if we'll take that much time again next year.

We've been easing in this week, first a day of math, then a new history method, and then last night the much anticipated chemistry curriculum arrived so today we'll add in science.

Given that we're still tripping over boxes I don't "feel ready" either, but DS needs some sort of schedule even if it's light for a couple more weeks. Co-op starts mid September but that was too long to get back into our groove (whatever our groove will be this year). Now that science has arrived, he's ready to go! :)

08-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Our break is looking to be about two months--June 30 to September 8. I intended to do a light schedule a few days each week, but that didn't pan out at all. We're all just having too much fun being lazy. I've also used the time to do a lot of planning for next year. The kids have been doing lots of reading and a little math, so hopefully their brains haven't gone totally mushy. :)

08-24-2011, 10:14 AM
DS5 started at at a year-round K in mid-July, so DD7 started back at home at the same time, so it was 5 weeks. Just enough time for the kids to get bored and be ready to start back. :) She'll take breaks on his school schedule as well, so it's looking like 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off, until the 5-week summer break.

08-24-2011, 12:08 PM
We have been off the last 11 weeks and I have to admit....its been great! Yes, I need a break just as much as DD does. We are putting in a new AC/furnace, finishing up today (that H&C guy had better make it!!) and its still ungodly HOT here--We are suppose to start school on Monday 8/29. If the AC is not finished, we won't be. Its just too hot & humid to think or to get any good sleep.

08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
We took roughly a month off (and that's about as long as we take every summer) and then got a head-start, just because my son had to head back to his dad's last week. I at least wanted to get him into some sort of a routine, so that it wouldn't be a huge shock when his nanny started homeschooling him. Usually, I give him the entire month of August off, but we had to change the timing just a little bit this year.

08-24-2011, 03:37 PM
We follow PS schedule.

My boys continued to do one subject a piece for the entire summer up until this week-since we are starting September 12th I am going to let them take a complete break from now until then.

08-24-2011, 03:50 PM
It was hard to answer this question because well right now it's still summer and my DD is working on math! We took off almost the whole month of June with the exception of a few days of test prep and then testing to satisfy the state. We took off all of July and this month we've worked a few hours a day a few times a week. I don't plan on starting 7th grade until September 19th (just a random date based on the great beach days we're bound to have into mid-September).

This fall I plan on doing 3 weeks on 1 week off and probably run that way right up until our friends and family are on PS Christmas break.

08-24-2011, 04:11 PM
I voted Other, because I had intended to only take a few weeks off and do a relaxed schedule, but my summer schedule has become VERY relaxed. We officially took a few weeks off for vacations, but the rest of the time we might do half or none of my intended summer schedule.

Oh well, I did a lot of cleaning/organizing/prepping so this upcoming school year should run very smoothly. :)

08-24-2011, 05:50 PM
We school year-round, but on a lighter schedule during the summer. My son did have three week off this summer, one for camp, one for VBS and another "just because", but they weren't taken consecutively.

08-24-2011, 06:37 PM
I can't really tell. We just slowly slacked off more and more. We definitely didn't stop for a full month straight, but we probably stopped for a total of more than a month. Especially Mushroom, who completely stopped working because he got so anxious about... life. Sigh. Poor kid.

08-24-2011, 06:47 PM
I took the summer (July and August) off. My kids would have had the summer off, but they hadn't finished the last assigned reading (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn) from last year, so they had to read that (and will have a book report due in mid-September) over the summer. I find that it is too difficult to continue over the summer between their public school friends being off, and taking some vacation time as a family.

08-24-2011, 06:57 PM
We took about 7 weeks off this summer. I think next summer a month would be enough. It is hard when all of their ps friends are off for 3 months and are wanting to play every day. I also think next year I will have dd continue to do math over the summer. She has forgotten so much in 7 weeks!

08-24-2011, 07:11 PM
We didn't take any time off - the workload just dropped, and I switched to some new programs.

08-25-2011, 01:42 PM
We took June, July, and half of August off. I really needed the break this year, as last year was very hectic. We took a vacation for three weeks, and then we just hung out at home and did nothing.

Next year I don't think we will take so much time off, as I am having a hard time getting everyone (including myself) back on a schedule. :(

08-25-2011, 11:00 PM
We switched to lighter schedule when we finished Calvert Kindergarten, and then started Calvert First Grade at the beginning of July. We've taken a few days off periodically for various reasons, but I figure we'll keep doing that through the winter too.

Crabby Lioness
08-31-2011, 03:24 PM
I usually take about six weeks off at Christmas/January and another six in the summer. But those are averages, not set in stone.

08-31-2011, 04:41 PM
We took off from Mid-May and we start again 9/6, so about 3.5 months for summer. Summer is too busy for our normal home school routine. We have our vacation, family visiting us, the garden to keep on top of, and kids have camp. Add to that the fact our summers are short (we're lucky if we get a full three months of summer weather!) and we have hiking trails, lakes and lazy picnics to enjoy.

Just because we're on break doesn't mean the kids aren't learning. Summer around here seems to be the time for digesting and experiencing everything they learned over the school year. They get outside and collect the bugs they read about in February, or we go to a living history museum that cements our history lessons from the year before.

We take two weeks off in December. Some years we have a spring break too, if anyone is coming to visit.