PDA

View Full Version : Calvert/Oak Meadow anyone?

SunshineKris
05-06-2010, 03:48 AM
I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for. Has anyone used Calvert? DH is leaning heavily to giving his thumb's up on HS and we are looking at curricula. I need a structure and organization, and DS8 really needs something closer to traditional school (school in a box?). He craves that structure and routine. Calvert seems to be the better option for us, at least with him. I looked also at Oak Meadow (seems better for my DD). Though I am not sure we want to use 2 different curricula. And I am not sure about Oak Meadow's math. Actually I am personally iffy on OM in general. Maybe I'm just not used to that style.

Closeacademy
05-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Calvert is textbook based and has a set schedule. I know some people who have used it and it is very solid but it can be stressful if you feel like you are running behind schedule.

Oak Meadow has a syllabus to follow. It is very laid back in the early years (K-4) but the content is good and solid. I do supplement math with Singapore/Rod and Staff combo and phonics. But in the middle grade years it is more (4-8), I do supplement math and spelling for my older dd.

I think Calvert works well with children who are more studious, schedule oriented, and learn well from textbooks.

Oak Meadow works well with children who are more artistic, nature-loving, and learn well visually or by doing (hands-on or Visual Spatial).

By the way it is OK for you to use two curriculums. The things that work with your oldest very well may not work for your youngest and vice-versa.

Teri
05-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I would call Calvert "school at home". It is very text book oriented. We did it for our first semester (we had just pulled Joseph out of public K). He was insisting that homeschool look like school and Calvert fit that bill completely. Then he got over that. LOL We also tried OM for a while and it wasn't a good match for my son's learning style.
In our situation, we needed a hands on unit studies approach. He was insistent that all subjects tie in together and he really needed hands on and project oriented.

Riceball_Mommy
05-06-2010, 04:03 PM
We use Calvert, though we haven't used it for the upper grades yet. We used it this year for Pre-K and I'll be ordering Kindergarten in the next few months. I really liked the way it's organized. It has all the lessons put together already, but I got to choose the pace, how many days a week, how many lessons a day. We were able to skip a few days along the way, do some extra days, and double up a few lessons.
Also I'm not sure if you knew about it, because I just found it recently, there is a virtual catalog on the site: link (http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/why-calvert/request-a-catalog). I've been playing with that off an on looking at next year and a few of things in upper grades.
If you opt for ATS, you get a good bit of time to turn in the tests, and even then the education counselors are very flexible and can work with you to extend a deadline. I have no personal experience with ATS but I'm on the message board a lot and I read all the questions that come up.

I have heard some really excellent things about Oak Meadow, and I've even thought about trying it out. Of course my big problem is Calvert works for us, so I don't want to fix something that's not broken.

hjdong
05-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Of course my big problem is Calvert works for us, so I don't want to fix something that's not broken.

Such a good plan, so few people (me included occasionally) follow it.

I use OM, but very loosely. I use the LA and history portion, but skip the rest (I also use OM 4 for my 7 yo, who is an advanced reader - not so much advanced math wise). I know many people love OM for science; I found it dreadful, although perhaps it improves at higher levels. It was stuff we had done as "life," not even so much science, for years, observation, nutrition, gardening.

I really like the approach to grammar, the writing (although I mostly have DS dictate), and the history. I supplement the amount of books. So, basically, it looks only a little like there orignal program, but I could say that about most programs I touch. It's about as open and go as I've used.

SunshineKris
05-07-2010, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the input! DS craves the structure of school so I think Calvert is the best option for him. I've been on the fence about OM and DH just said he wants them to both have the same, so Calvert it is. I am sure DD will excel at either one. She's quite flexible. DS is NOT! I also really like the very planned out organization. We plan on spreading it out over a full year to fit in our traveling, plus we move often so this makes record keeping easier for me to comply with whichever state we are in.

I don't think we will be using the ATS for Calvert. I can't justify the cost when we can do it ourselves, or if needed ask a teacher friend for another opinion. I think it's mainly the writing portions that it's needed for. Riceball, did you purchase the tests for each curriculum? Or is yours not old enough for the tests? My little guy will be using Pre-K Scholars for his "school time." That program is mainly setting up the younger set for success in K with letter and writing skills, fine motor skills and the like. We read a lot ans do craft projects, plus the big kids, especially DS8, loves to "teach" him on the whiteboard the tings they've been learning. I have the only 4 year old who can tell you what 7x3 is but can't write the letters of his name in order! :)

Riceball_Mommy
05-07-2010, 10:47 AM
My daughter isn't old enough for the tests yet. We were testing out the idea of Calvert and homeschooling this year, so it was a bit of a trial run. We're going to try out ATS next year, my husband questions the need for it, and I'm starting to too. We both want to try it though, and if we don't like it or think it's all that great we'll just opt for the state review.