View Full Version : Weekly Poll: Do you think every state should open extracurricular activities to us?

07-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Well I couldn't get my whole question in the title, but this question is one that I feel very strongly about! " Do you think every state should open extracurricular activities ,including sports, to homeschoolers?

This topic is one that I hear a lot when I look at our forum and others that I frequent, some homeschoolers are totally for it and others want nothing to do with the schools at all!

My very personal option is... I think that because I pay taxes for the schools, we should be allowed to take any classes this includes the specials and extracurricular activities. One such class that I know my oldest really wanted to take was shop class, for what ever reason, he really wanted to take it. Being a person who likes to do woodworking(even if I am not the best at it!) I have given him "lessons" on the different machines we have here at home. He has done a couple of small projects BUT nothing like the shop class does in regular school.

I know that not all states offer this to homeschoolers, so I was wondering how you felt about this topic?

07-13-2011, 08:50 AM
I think we should have access to classes at the public school, since we do pay taxes to support them. However, I also feel that the schools would have to have very little in the way of regulation for allowing homeschoolers to take classes. Otherwise, it would be more hassle than it's worth.

I really think that the best option, though, would be for every city to have those opportunities available to the entire community. Sports leagues through the park district, community orchestras/choirs (somewhere other than at churches), community theater, etc. would be preferable to involvement with the local school district. Having quality classes for art, shop, foreign language, music, available to the whole community, at an affordable price, would be great.

We have some classes available to the community, but most are overpriced for the little you get. The only choirs I can find are through churches. That really sucks, because dd loves to sing & would really benefit from being in a choir. Luckily, dh & I have enough knowledge & experience, in enough areas, that we can get them a decent foundation. After that, though, I think we'll have to sign them up for some classes at the local CC.

07-13-2011, 09:09 AM
I say yes, wholeheartedly! Right now we live overseas, but when my husband's enlistment ends and we purchase a home in the U.S. in a couple of years, I would very much appreciate my son having the option to participate in local public school extracurricular activities (if that is what he wants to do).

07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Of course.

But that doesn't mean I think we should necessarily take advantage of it.

Teri Eddy
07-13-2011, 10:18 AM
What Farrar said. But I don't want any rules or regs attached to it. I guess the pie and eating it adage comes to mind.

07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I voted "yes". I am lucky in that mine does. Both sons take hiphop dance and crosscountry through the district.

07-13-2011, 10:43 AM
I voted yes as well, though I'm not sure how eager I'd be to take advantage of it right now. It would still be nice to know the option is there. I also wouldn't want to see any new state wide regulations added but if each school had a few rules for participation I don't think that would be uncalled for. And by the school having rules I mean, if they already have an attendance rule for the class or activity then apply that homeschoolers as well and if they have grade requirements either ask for grades from the parents (the homeschool teachers) or a signed letter saying the child is "passing." I don't think there should be any extra wacky rules for homeschoolers though.

07-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Yep, but not at the expense of our freedom to educate. So that's a ditto to what everyone else has said. Our district allows high schoolers to participate but not elementary. I'd like to see it opened up to the younger kids.

07-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Our district is losing all extra curricular activity year by year...not sure if there will be anything for my children to actually participate in!

07-13-2011, 02:23 PM
I voted "other" because I don't necessarily want to follow the rules and regulations they school district would have to put in place to make it everything fair across the board for all students. On the other hand I pay taxes and feel I should get something out of the school portion even if I believe I need to pay my fair share to educate, however badly that may be, the children of my community.

I can't imagine too many people on this forum saying they want their local school districts to interfere with their personal learning plan but I guess we'll see what the results say. I like what Brandi said about it being a whole community approach.

07-13-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't want anything from the public school, even though we pay taxes. If we give them an inch, they will take a mile. No thank you !

07-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Tho I do think when home school associations form extracurricular, they should be allowed to compete with the schools.
My kids are not public school students, so I don't use the public schools.

What's more.

I'd be thrilled if govt schools were completely done away with and closed.

Yep. I'm that not happy about public schools. As for where my tax dollars go - I'm not happy with that either! :)

07-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I voted no as I think it will open up other possibilities that I'm not too keen on. Yes, I know my tax dollars go to support public schools, but I consider that part of the cost of living in a civilized country - not necessarily that I'm paying into something that I deserve to take advantage of.

Accidental Homeschooler
07-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Hs kids can participate in ps here. In our district in junior and high school hs kids can dual enroll and participate in extracurriculars. Even kids from the Catholic school can participate in sports and band or orchestra and do. For high school my dd can take up to three classes as a dual enrolled hs student. She will take band, Spanish and science classes at the high school, which is about a three block walk from our house. For us this will be a good thing. I am not sure what they can require from us for the opportunity to do this other than that she shows up and does the work.

Stella M
07-13-2011, 08:36 PM
I voted yes, out of self interest.dual enrollment interests me. I would love for my eldest dd to have access to the science lab and art classes at the high school her sister is going to. And I would love for my ds to have the same access to cheap/free music/sport/dance classes that the public schoolers have. It's an equity thing for me.

07-14-2011, 10:17 AM
I think that these types of activities should be made available through the Parks and Recreation programs so then they would be open to all and would not really involve the school system. I had my son in a gymnastics program through the local Parks/Recreation this past spring and it was great, he met kids from all over the area. It did have a price tag but it was not out of this world, the couple running it were experienced, and very willing to work with people in my opinion it was well worth it. I think that given the financial state of most places in the U.S. the chances of them allocating money to make programs like this free are slim to none so would be an expense to the parents unless they could convince their legislature of the merits of making it available to all through that venue.

07-14-2011, 11:47 AM
I voted yes because it isn't just the extra curriculua stuff, it is the stuff that the law requires that the kids be given that they don't provide. For instance my kids both were in speech therapy. Because of their late birthdays they were able to get an "extra" year. In Maryland school provided speech and other therapies end at school age (5 on Sept 1st) For my daughter I had to sign a paper saying that she wasn't "ready" for K to get her the last year she needed for the help. When I called all the way to the school board I was told that none of the MD counties provide this and it is budget and "logistic" issues.

07-14-2011, 11:49 AM
By "us" do we mean homeschoolers or anyone not using the public school system ie us AND private school attendees, etc?

07-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Yes I think they should. They already have the programs/classes in place it would cost very little to allow HS'ers to participate.

ETA- The problem with doing the Parks and rec route is that "not a lot of money" for some is more then they can spare for others. I mean do I spend the $50 a month I have left over in my budget each month on "non-esentials" such as soap and t.p. or on soccer? I have been there, it sux. So I most definately support the idea that the PS's should be open to all student age children for extracurricular activities.

07-15-2011, 03:01 AM
I need to note that even if it is at the public schools, it does not mean it is free or even affordable.
I went to supposedly good public district here k-12 and it was NEVER an option for me to do extracurriculars.
It is not free here even for public school kids.
You have to buy uniforms, gear, pay for travel and they are forever fundraising for something.
Every person I know in public school pays more for their extracurricular than I do. And it does not necessarily mean they are getting better opportunities or instruction either.

It's important to know that not every state/school system handles extracurricular the same.

Personally, I wish extracurricular were not associated with the schools too. It's money better spent on academics. Too many schools have newer football fields than textbooks.

07-16-2011, 08:06 AM
I said yes because as taxpayers we help fund the school system. In my state, we have access to intramural sports. Technically we also can ask the local schools for access to other extra-curriculars and electives. I have not met a single soul who's gotten their kids into either. I couldn't even get my dd into the GS troop that met at the school right around the corner from our house...and the troop wasn't school-sponsored.

07-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Sports/extracurricular take up a significant portion of our academic fund every year. I am all for allowing homeschoolers to join in at public schools. They allowed this at the high school dh and I graduated from in Minnesota. It's disappointing that NC hasn't caught up yet. As others have pointed out, we pay taxes just like everyone else. I would love to see my kids get a sports scholarship but that's not an option with no high school teams.

07-16-2011, 11:04 AM
After reading this I have I'd also like to say if homeschoolers aren't allowed access to the public school sports teams, then there should be some sort of team that can be created for everyone in a community that could compete like the public school teams do. So that would give homeschoolers a chance for those sports scholarships.

07-18-2011, 01:38 PM
I would like that - for instance, my daughter really wants to take clarinet and she could do it next year at school for free if she were going - but I agree, not with any strings attached. And I don't really think they should have to, just that I would appreciate it. Lots of people pay taxes for the schools, not just people with kids. Maybe my mom should also have access to the school's activities? ;)

Accidental Homeschooler
07-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Lots of people pay taxes for the schools, not just people with kids. Maybe my mom should also have access to the school's activities? ;)

You know, I think that would be great. Schools could be a true community resource for education. They could be open to anyone who wants to participate and provide a variety of resources that could be used to the degree that works best for the individual learner (whether they are five or sixty-five). People would be much more likely to support them financially.

07-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Well, that's a good point. That would be awesome! Possibly a bit cumbersome, though. But it would be great if the schools were truly a community experience that involved everyone.