View Full Version : Weekly Poll: How much time you spend on social media,forums and other sites each day?

06-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Well, I spend way more time than I would like to admit on social media sites, forums and just plain researching educational sites for my kiddos every day! I was wondering, how much time you all as adults spend on the internet?? I can find a whole afternoon gone before I know it when I looking for just the right site for something for the boys' unit studies! Just last week I was spending about 2 hours a day looking for any and every site I could find on Little House in the Big Woods for my youngest first MBTP unit study that we are starting in July. So how about you? Should we set up a help group for those of us with this addiction? LOL

FYI~ "Social media" includes blogging, reading other people's blogs, Facebook, Myspace, etc., Twitter, and Digg .

06-29-2011, 07:37 AM
31 minutes to an hour for me, especially in the summer. Too busy with the kids, yardwork, my own classwork, and running everybody around. Headed out today at 9 am, essentially not home to stay until 10 pm tonight.

06-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I have no idea. I leave things like Facebook just open on my computer all day. If I'm on the computer, I'm usually using it for something else (writing, looking stuff up, watching TV, etc.) but it's there, so I'll glance at things every little bit for a few minutes to break things up.

06-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I chose 31-60 minutes. It could get closer to 1.5 hours on some days.

I enjoy Twitter and FB to stay in touch with friends and family, and promote my books, but I definitely limit my use. Most of my friends on Steam pester me to get on and chat more often. However, as long as my friends and family know that I'm safe and happy, I really don't see the need to do much else on social networking sites. I check the SHS forums 3 times a day to keep up with things, but I don't linger here or at FB. Though I might do that in spurts - yesterday, I spent about an hour finding new and interesting people to follow on Twitter. But that is definitely not an everyday thing.

06-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I get up early, around 5:30, so I can spend an hour or so of uninterrupted time looking at my "necessary" blogs, newspapers etc before everyone else wakes up. I check in here frequently throughout the day but rarely spend more than a minute or few at a time, unless DS is seriously entertaining himself somehow. I don't do FB, Twitter or any social media at all.

It looks like things are about to get busy around here though, so even the time I do spend will probably be very limited while we make a big life change.

06-29-2011, 11:41 AM
ha! i put over 3 hours....but it's because for 7 hours a day I'm at work and always have google reader opened. However, when I'm not at work I probably spend 15 minutes online a day.

06-29-2011, 12:11 PM
1-2 hours give or take an hour, depends on the weather, work schedules, school schedules, chores, activities, my mood, blah blah blah, you know the routines.

06-29-2011, 02:03 PM
It varies pretty wildly. DH and I skype during the day so if there's some discussion going on, or he's out of the country, that will be for awhile. I am on for about an hour in the morning while I eat breakfast and wake up with my tea. Another 1/2 hour or so at lunch time. Depends on the weather, how the kids are behaving, how tired I am.

I usually start with checking my email. Then I may look at my bank accounts, Facebook for a few minutes, my blog to look at my reader list of other blogs I keep up on, this forum, then finish up with a different forum. How long that takes depends on if there's anything unusual going on. I don't twitter and I never heard of Steam.

Stella M
06-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Way too much :( I'm good at doing no media, and good at doing lots of media and hopeless at being moderate. I have to set a timer.

06-29-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm badly addicted . . . I probably spend at least an hour catching up on my sites and my games . . . In the morning, when school ends, and after the kids go to bed. I know I should cut back, but it's my regroup time . . . I get so overwhelmed sometimes, sometimes I'm too sick to do much else. Definitely my Achilles heel.

06-30-2011, 11:34 AM
It depends what's going on. Anywhere between 30 mins - 3 hours. I don't factor in Netflix though which takes up my alone time hours at many night. I spend most of my time on this site, a local mom's group, and facebook. Oh and email.

06-30-2011, 02:22 PM
today i feel sick . . . i think i'll probably manage at least 8 hours . . . . ok, some of it is spent reading the support threads on Scratch and some is spent playing sudoku. And planning menus. and looking in to drivers ed. soon we have to actually leave the house for the first sax lesson. sigh.

06-30-2011, 04:20 PM
My computer is always on, but I rarely get to sit for long. ;-)

06-30-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm addicted to research on line which means that my "wish list" of curriculum, literature and other fun things grows daily. But I don't do any social media sites.

06-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Generally I spend a good few hours a day online. Of a morning I get online and check out some sites and forums I follow, read my emails, do some surveys online, read the newspapers and generally just catch up on what is happening in the areas I am interested in. Then in the afternoon I again check out forums, websites, emails, etc and generally do some research for a homeschooling topic etc.

Recently a lot of our learning has been based around other countries, cultures, people and places. This has meant that I have spent more time than usual researching ways for the children to safely communicate with others and interacting online.

My computer is online all day and when I get 5 minutes I will quickly check emails. Also living in a small rural community we buy a lot of things online such as books, curriculum, games etc so spend time doing that also. We would be lost without internet, however we do also live very worthwhile lives away from the computer and internet and real life does always come first :)

07-04-2011, 05:33 PM
This week doesn't count cuz I put my computer up for the last few days, but usually it can be 3+ hours. I am a google addict. If just about anything pops into my head, I google it. I could spend hours researching growing lemon trees in ohio, to what really happened with Paul Revere's Ride, to what other movies has that actor been in and while I'm thinking about it, that birthday present for my nephew. It's like a stream of consciousness. My search history can be pretty funny sometimes.

My downfall, computer wise, came when I go a laptop. Now I can sit in front of the tv and spend time online. I do a lot of online shopping (Amazon addict, too) and am trying to be more active in sites like this one to connect with more like minded homeschoolers. I have a few other forums that I read. Facebook is my least favorite, just can't get into it and only check it if I get an email that someone has posted something for me. I check my email on my phone more frequently. I was a current events junkie, but have had to cut back on that a bit.