PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll: Early bird or Night Owl, what are you? And are your kids the same?

pandahoneybee
06-08-2011, 05:17 AM
This is something that I have struggled with as of late with my boys!! I am up at 4:30 am and ready for bed by 9:30pm;) The oldest hates to get out of bed before 9am ( he would sleep until noon if I let him) and the youngest usually wakes up around 8am. AND they both can stay up way past mama:)

I have a lot of homeschooling friends that let their kiddos sleep in until what ever time they want to, then they are doing their work late into the night!! Yes, so that means if they have a math question at 10pm, mama is up to help them. I just can't do it!

I was wondering if it had something to do with the fact that I am a late bloomer when it comes to homeschooling? We haven't homeschooled since the beginning and so I am still trying to do a more "traditional" schedule , you know, up before NOON and done before dinner! Or maybe its just because I am up and want to get started?? It's their fault anyways!! Before Kids I could sleep until noon TOO:D

So I am voting Mama~Early bird and Kiddos~ Night Owls, what about you??

hockeymom
06-08-2011, 05:32 AM
We are all up early. I get up around 5:30 so I can have coffee and read my blogs before everyone else gets up. DS is usually up by 6:30 (in fact, here he comes!). We're early to bed too; I fall asleep by 10 and DS is usually asleep by 8. I love getting an early start to the day and get grumpy if I accidentally sleep in.

inmom
06-08-2011, 07:18 AM
I am an early bird, as is ds, but dd is definitely a night owl. She puts up with us though....

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
06-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Early birds here. We're all up by 6:30-7:00 usually. Sometimes I would like to sleep in (especially when I stayed up late against my better judgement to watch a movie or read), but our days are much more productive if we get an early start. During the summer we let the kids stay up later so that they can go play outside after dinner.

dottieanna29
06-08-2011, 07:37 AM
I am a night owl, I like to sleep in the morning and wake up slowly and gradually. I have one kid who is also a night owl (ds), one who is a very definite early bird and gets up at 5:30am (younger ds) and one who is a teenager so she stays up half the night and sleeps all day if she has the chance.

The problem comes from having to be awake when either of the younger kids is up and, since they are on opposite sides of the spectrum, I'm just sleep-deprived.

Pilgrim
06-08-2011, 08:14 AM
The problem comes from having to be awake when either of the younger kids is up and, since they are on opposite sides of the spectrum, I'm just sleep-deprived.

I said we're all night owls but the kids are still up early at times, making for a rough morning, like today. As i get older the sleep-deprivation thing gets harder to deal with, putting a strain on the entire day. I've always struggled with getting to bed before 12 or 1. I continue to try being an early bird.

farrarwilliams
06-08-2011, 08:41 AM
My children have an internal alarm that goes off inside them around 6:00am. It cannot be adjusted. It doesn't matter if they go to sleep at 7:00 or 1:00am, they will be up around 6:00. Once every couple of months they do sleep in. And by sleep in, I mean, they sleep until 6:30 or 7:00.

By age 3.5, I trained them in how to get up alone and use the TV remote to get to the Tivo queue and watch their shows (they learned to identify the network logos for PBS and Noggin). Because if they get up early, that's 5:00am. And while they're better about going until 6:00 now, back then they weren't. I used to put out a cup of juice and a little bowl of cereal for them. Now they get their own, they can read the Tivo queue, access Netflix from the Wii, or just play Wii or on their computers. Especially in the summer, I need another couple hours of sleep in the morning because my natural tendency is to stay up until midnight or later.

dbmamaz
06-08-2011, 08:46 AM
I discovered I was a morning person in early adulthood - i never VOLUNTARILY get up before 8-ish, but if I DO have to get up that early, it usually works better for me .. .BUT .. my daughter is a total night owl. She has been applying for jobs and not finding any, so when she occasionally sleeps past 3 pm . . . i let it go. her sleep schedule was why we got her out of public school - she could NOT get enough sleep and still make it to school by 8:45.

My middle son used to be the early riser, but then had so much trouble sleeping for a while. These meds usually knock him out pretty early, but occasionally now that he's a teen, he stays up late - but since he's basically a morning person, I can get him up by 8:30 easily, and he rarely sleeps past 9

Raven used to be the latest sleeper, but has been getting up earlier. He was staying up until 10:30, but he's usually asleep before 10 now. If he makes it all nite in his bed, he's often up before 7 . . . if he sleeps in our bed, he'll sleep longer.

My husband is a total night owl. even when working he'll occasionally stay up til 2 am. His last job, he didnt leave the house until 9, tho. When he was out of work, he slept until 10 am frequently and sometimes I woke him up at 10, and sometimes let him sleep til 11. But now the alarm is set for 7:30 and he leaves before 8:30.

So . . . i dont have kid-free time until 10:00 pm . . . so its hard for me to get to bed before midnight just cuz i NEED some kid-free time . . . i get up and shower w dh, and i'm down by 8:30. and i'm usually tired.

i would love to have the life where i'm in bed at 10 and up at 6:30 . .. i just dont see it happenning tho

Riceball_Mommy
06-08-2011, 09:17 AM
When I was younger I was definitely a night owl, I'd stay up most of the night and sleep most of the day. Now though I can't stay up past midnight most of the time, and I get up with my daughter in the morning now.

Martha
06-08-2011, 09:43 AM
We all get up early. I rarely get more than 5-6 hours of sleep. Tops.
My lack of sleep is due to years of nursing babies.
We get up early because there are only so many hours in a day to get stuff done.
Most of our activities are done in the after noon or early evening, so if we are going to keep up on the house and school work to any decent level - we need to get up early enough to have time to do those things.

Also, I am a VERY light sleeper, so having kids up late after I go to bed is just not going to work for me.
And lastly dh gets up early for work, about 6. And isn't going to appreciate that while he does that we sleep until 1o every day and want to stay up late when he is exhausted from a long day.

Martha
06-08-2011, 09:48 AM
And dh and I really value our alone time early in the morning and later at night after the kids go to bed.
I see him off to work and after about 10 or 11 pm, we have at least an hour for us.
Excepting nursing littles, we have made an effort to do this since the first baby was born many years ago.
Some days that might be the only parenting/work down time either of us get and it is priceless and jealously guarded by us both.

Busygoddess
06-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I despise mornings. I want nothing to do with sunlight or food before noon. Of course, I can't sleep until noon. I only sleep for 4-5 hours a night. I head to bed about 2am and get up between 5 & 7am. The kids are very much like me. They have fairly early bedtimes, though. Dh has to go to bed within an hour of the kids going to bed, so he can get up at 3am. That little bit of time after the kids go to bed is the only time we have alone (which is the reason for those bedtimes). They generally stay awake for awhile in their rooms, though. They are allowed to read or play, as long as they are quiet & stay in their rooms. Honestly, my dh is really a nightowl, too. Unfortunately, he has to get up early for work, and he needs much more sleep than the kids & I do.

MarkInMD
06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
We're all night owls, as we've learned over the course of this year. I do get up at 5 AM to do some recording in a quiet house for a few hours, but then I'm usually able to take a nap for a couple hours from about 8:30-10:30 or 11:00. Just because I get up at 5 doesn't mean I like it! But with everyone up late, it's the better option to keep me from constantly coming out of the studio to gripe at everyone for running down the hallway. :)

jess
06-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Neither?

I guess leaning more towards the early bird side. I tend to wake up around 6:00 during the summer (though I'm rarely out of bed before 7:00, since I can't get up until I'm ready for the baby to be up), and go to sleep around 9:30. I can function if I have to get up earlier, and having kids means that sleeping in beyond 7:00 happens rarely.

JinxieFox
06-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I guess it depends on what you consider "early". I'm a night-owl, but I wake up at 7:30, which I consider early. My son is neither a night-owl, nor an early-riser. It's a nice balance here. :3

Pilgrim
06-08-2011, 04:50 PM
My children have an internal alarm that goes off inside them around 6:00am. It cannot be adjusted. It doesn't matter if they go to sleep at 7:00 or 1:00am, they will be up around 6:00. Once every couple of months they do sleep in. And by sleep in, I mean, they sleep until 6:30 or 7:00.

By age 3.5, I trained them in how to get up alone and use the TV remote to get to the Tivo queue and watch their shows (they learned to identify the network logos for PBS and Noggin). Because if they get up early, that's 5:00am. And while they're better about going until 6:00 now, back then they weren't. I used to put out a cup of juice and a little bowl of cereal for them. Now they get their own, they can read the Tivo queue, access Netflix from the Wii, or just play Wii or on their computers. Especially in the summer, I need another couple hours of sleep in the morning because my natural tendency is to stay up until midnight or later.

It seems the later they go to bed, the earlier they're up. Despite the longer days and later bedtimes lately, DD is now getting up at 5 or 6. Luckily both kids can flip on the tv or put in a Brady Bunch DVD (they're latest favorite) and get themselves cereal and juice. Now we just have to train them to let the dogs out before they pee inside.

Personally I don't like being a night owl. My late night hours aren't spent well whereas my rare early morning hours are productive and positive.

Stella M
06-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Every single poll I end up voting other!

I am definitely not a night owl...but then I'm not an early bird either. What can I say ? I love my bed...
Dd13 is an early bird. So is ds. They both get about about an hour before I do - around 7.
Dd11 is a night owl. She only really starts to spark after dinner!

Dh doesn't know what he is either - he often works at night so he has to stay up/sleep later through circumstance.

It is a bit of a non-issue now the kids are older though. When they were little and up at 5 after being up during the night as well...I have no idea how I managed to h/s during those years. I was like a zombie. Lack of sleep leaves me desperate.

russ.man
06-09-2011, 10:36 AM
We are all early birds here! It is rare that anyone is still up after 10:00 p.m. I love the mornings. We all laze around for an hour or so drinking coffee, tea, reading books, watching a movie....then we begin school usually by 7:00.

mommykicksbutt
06-09-2011, 12:40 PM
The kids and I are all vampires, it's hubby that's the odd ball around here. Being military, he has to be at work at o'dark:30 in the morning so he's in bed by 9:30 pm. Daughter is an adult and out on her own now (& is still a night owl) but sonny is still here. As long as he's in bed before me I'm fine with that. We don't start school until about 9 am or a little after, allowing a few minutes to eat breakfast and brush teeth before we start, so getting up out of bed by 8:30 is pretty much the norm on school days.

farrarwilliams
06-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Oh, well, when we include spouses... dh works nights. By which I mean, he leaves for work (depending on the day... um... night) around 9:00 or 11:00 at night. And gets home in the morning. So... he throws us all off.

fbfamily111
06-09-2011, 08:06 PM
We're all night owls. DH usually works 2nd or 3rd shift so we stay up to see him. I think I could be an almost early bird but it just hasn't worked out that way.

jessica14
06-10-2011, 09:54 AM
All early birds here! Tomorrow, I am doing my last official volunteer thing for the kids' school. We are having a Community Festival and I'm getting there at 7:30 AM to help set up. The secretary said that she thought it was really early. I said the kids are up by 5:30-6:00 so I might as well come early. I'm looking forward to hsing so that we can start and finish early. Yesterday, my son, who was bit under the weather, was up extra early. He took out some phoincs cubes (vowel pairs, blends, diagraphs, consonants) and was making words at 6AM. I said to him, "THAT is homeschooling." He thought it sounded pretty good to him! He also was much more wiling to read a book to me at 6 this AM then he would be at 6PM tonight. He much rather help me make dinner! Can't wait til we start!

MrsLOLcat
06-10-2011, 10:17 AM
I am a night owl. My ideal sleep schedule is to get five or six hours somewhere between 2 and 10 a.m. My husband is neither... he likes to go to bed about 10:30 and get up late. My son is like my husband. Then my daughter is currently a morning person, but I suspect as she gets older she'll switch and be a night owl like me. I have to get the kids up early during the school year to take M2 to school, but today... well, M2 just rolled out of bed at 9:15 because she heard me talking on the phone, and M1 has yet to surface. Oz dragged himself out of bed half an hour ago and went to go run errands. I heard him leave and got up after I heard the door shut. ;)

Ariadne
06-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Used to be early bird, then I hit my 40s and hormones started shifting. I find myself up late now, reading and hanging out online. My kids have always been early risers, too, but they seem to be learning how to sleep in. ;-)

lynne
06-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Me, my husband and younger ds are night owls. Our 10 year old ds needs to go to bed early and wakes up early in a good mood. If he stays up late, he is a mess the next day:).

rumbledolly
06-12-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm more of an early bird (though I can easily sleep until 8:30 every morning if allowed to) and DH and DD are night owls. I can stay up late if something interesting is going on but I like my bed and plan on being in it around 9-9:30 every night so I can watch TV for a little bit before going to sleep. I rarely hear my husband go to bed - though I get the joy of hearing him crash around every morning. I get up after he's left. It's much safer. DD could sleep till noon if I let her but I'm a horrible mom and I do not let her sleep that late. Just ask her!

Theresa Holland Ryder
06-13-2011, 09:51 PM
We're half early birds, half night owls here.