View Full Version : Weekly Poll: What does your summer look like?

05-18-2011, 09:09 AM
So the answer to this question varies so much from homeschooling family to homeschooling family. BUT I thought that it might be fun to see what everyone else does for the summer months!

As for our family, we homeschool year round, so that we do not have those dreaded of all months in September and October of review! My oldest especially has done so much better just because of us keeping up some kind of schedule over the summer months. Now I don't want you to think that we do the same schedule as during the regular school year. The summer months for us contain math (mostly anything they had trouble with), spelling (cuz we are still working on improvement in that area since the beginning) and music lessons/practice. But then I try to add in the subjects that we didn't get to as much as I wanted to like history and science! I plan on finally getting through the Story of the World (yes we have done the same 20 chapters forever now) and this year I am adding more science to the mix. In the way of experiments, because my boys love to create cool experiments!

We do also take our days down to 4 days a week for the summer leaving us open to do some long weekend vacations OR long weekend projects. So in a nutshell that is what we do over the summer.... What about you?

05-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Well, we work through the summer, but we also check out the programs offered by the Youth Center on base. There are often little summer camps, some fun and some academic. Last year, I let my son choose 2 or 3. We will see what they offer this year!

05-18-2011, 09:44 AM
For this summer, very similar to what Wendy just said. We'll work through the summer, at least when the kids aren't in camp. They're each signed up for a couple. Also, we have some travel, but I think we'll probably school through most of it. After all, "school" is just a couple hours at most.

Right now, I'm planning to do a bigger break in the fall.

05-18-2011, 10:03 AM
We will cut back to math and practicing our instruments.
In the past, we have continued to do a fun unit study or something that I felt like we needed to cover that hadn't been covered. For example, last year we did a unit study on World Religions to get ready for our unit on the holocaust this past year.
This year is a little different. We have a trip to Orlando for Gaufest. Then each of the kids has a sleep away camp they are going to (Joseph and Libby for one week and Caroline for two weeks). They are all doing a two week theater camp at the rec center (free!).
After we wrap up the units that we are working on, we will be hanging it up for summer (except for the above mentioned math and music).

05-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Since we follow M2's school schedule, we mostly take summer off. That being said, M1 likes to review now and then so he doesn't have to do it when we go back in August.

05-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Come summertime I need a break as much as the kids, so we hardly do anything. I have the kids practice piano everyday, and they have to read for thirty minutes. Other than that their summers are free and so are mine. By August I feel recharged and ready to go. :)

05-18-2011, 11:19 AM
We just started a concept in MBtP, which will probably take us into early July. We'll stick with that unless there is something else to do, but around here there aren't many distractions. The weather is usually cold and wet all summer so it's hardly tempting to go outside, the couple of friends he has here are stuck in day care all day during the week and go out of town every weekend, and sports are just in the evenings so we may as well keep busy doing school work. We have a big trip coming up in the fall so we probably won't do much traveling over the summer, other than long weekends of camping.

05-18-2011, 12:03 PM
My daughter wants to do "school work" pretty much every day of the week. She's 5 so after about 40 minutes she's done. We are going to take two weeks off and then start MBtP with her. My son wants to do a review of this year's math- so we've agreed on Math Mondays. We did minimal science this year and are going to have "Science Fridays" (yes we listen to way too much NPR,lol). There are so many kids in our neighborhood that show up at our house most days in the summer so I think we are going to make Science Fridays a group activity. We pulled out a lot of science activities last year and the kids all had fun with it. I think we might also start a foreign language this summer. Possibly German since we have relatives coming to visit us from Bavaria later this summer.

05-18-2011, 12:13 PM
This is our first year so we plan on doing a few days (hours really) a week to finish up some work we planned on but haven't done yet. We're going away early in June and we'll probably bring a math worksheet or two to do and we'll start our next read-aloud book and probably brainstorm on what we'd like to do in the fall. I see us probably not doing much in August or September. Once the PS kids go back we're going to load up on field trips because we know once it snows we're stuck inside for the most part. Camping is on the agenda too as my brother has invited us to join his family a few weekends. They'll sleep in the luxury RV, we'll hunker down in our non-luxury tent (never liked my brother much - LOL).

DD has recently started horseback lessons and that will continue along with taking golf lessons with one of her friends and maybe if we can afford to fit something else in we'll see if we can find a workshop she'll enjoy. Our rec dept doesn't have anything that interest her - we've tried but each activity is so poorly managed she always hates them. Soccer starts in late August and that's her "thing".

05-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Well, this will be our first summer of homeschooling, so we'll see if this plan actually works: the "three R's" a few times a week and keeping up (at least review, maybe new material if they ask) of the foreign languages they've started. No more than an hour a day, and I won't stress if we miss days because we have something fun planned. I don't want them to backslide or get too far out of a routine. I keep a nature journal in the summer and I'll write about things we see and have the kids help me "research" them.

05-18-2011, 03:30 PM
We continue as usual, actually. Dea often gets a 1-2 week break late in summer, for a vacation with some family member. A few years ago, she traveled through several of the western states, visiting Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, Henry Doorly Zoo, and many other places, with my ex-stepmom. This year, she might spend 1-2 weeks with my aunt. My mom wants to take her on a long weekend campout event for the SCA. Jay hasn't done those types of trips, because he's not ready yet, but I'm sure that he'll get to do them when he is ready. While Dea's on those trips, Jay & I continue with school. Before & after her trips, Dea does school as usual.

They still have plenty of time to play with friends on weekends and after they're done with their schoolwork (assuming they don't screw around and take all day to do one lesson of Math). The summers here are hot & humid, I much prefer the fall weather. So, it doesn't bother us to work through the summers.

05-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Our summer break is only 6 week long this summer and will include 2 weeks in England, Wales, and Scotland. Even though we'll do no school during the break sonny will have 4 novels to read and some of them are hefty: Last of the Mohicans, Brave New World, The Invisible Man, and Gunrunner Moon.

05-18-2011, 04:47 PM
I take a 2 week break at the beginning and end of the summer, and sometimes a vacation or a camp for a week - but we dont drop days, we just do half days and try to do more fun things.

Stella M
05-18-2011, 07:56 PM
A long way away :)

05-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Too funny, Melissa!

05-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I had to pick other because last year I had intentions of continuing school through the summer but at a lighter pace but ended up mostly doing nothing. This year though I intend to review until we get our new curriculum and then just start working as usual.

05-19-2011, 09:45 AM
We drop down to 2-3 days a week, but we also take a couple of weeks off. Math is required, then the kids get to pick their unit study/lapbook topics. My DS#1 has chosen to do a study on birds for his first project because we discovered a robins nest under our deck.

05-19-2011, 10:03 AM
DD will have finished her PS experience, so we'll take a week or two off to decompress and the only thing I'll push is reading (gently).

We'll start MBTP in the fall, so the rest of the summer will be school-lite with some reading and writing and math most weekdays, but in short bits. We're excited to meet with a potential reading tutor for DD. If it works out, she'll go twice weekly for an hour each time.

We'll do like we've been doing in the summers: science/nature play, lots of arts and crafts, gardening, time with family, time on the water, trips, play dates, and the kids are playing soccer and showing their 4H work at the county fair.

05-19-2011, 11:09 AM
We will continue with whatever didn't get finished: math and spelling for my 12yo son.

Other than that we'll do science, read, go to the pool. :D

05-19-2011, 11:24 AM
I replied "Good intentions" because that's how it's been in the past.

But in the past I had DRAMATIC LIFE CIRCUMSTANCES! This summer I will not let LIFE CIRCUMSTANCES interfere! Really!

(We're in a better pattern as far as school in general now, as well as being at a place where I really want to keep going and not backslide, and I think it's quite possible that we really will keep going through summer. Also, #1 applies to us.)

05-19-2011, 12:03 PM
We don't take a formal break during the summer, per se. We usually take a couple weeks completely "off" with the older kids but you know how it is, always learning and all that? ;) I try to get the older ones to do a bridge type workbook so they don't completely get out of the habit of doing formal work (they are in a state VA). My little ones have no concept of "summer break" and I plan to use this summer to get those new routines--that we so desperately need--established.

05-19-2011, 12:39 PM
We'll be doing a weekly review on math because my son doesn't retain math concepts very well. His loss over previous summers when he was in public schools has been pretty profound, so we don't want that.
We have a reading list, though I tried to pick fun titles. We're going to try keeping a creative writing journal. I have no idea how that'll go.
My son is very behind in science, so we are going to continue science through the summer, except for a week or two when we're away from home. I think that will be a struggle, but I'm going to try my best to get it done.
And my older son, who's still in public school, will be taking Latin from me. My husband has decided to join in for that. That undertaking will be interesting, to say the least.

05-19-2011, 03:45 PM
My goal is to do math and writing at least 3x per week during the summer so DS can be on grade level by the fall. We'll see how it turns out. :)

05-19-2011, 04:33 PM
We have not yet started, so my thought was to deschool. However, I'm really concerned about my son's retention which is already not good. So, I'm thinking reading, read alouds, and a little writing along with math games. By September, we should be ready to go!

05-20-2011, 01:55 AM
A long way away :)

If I could I would just post a smiley.. So I guess that means we need to book our tickets to Australia. Just about the time you'll be planning your holidays....

05-20-2011, 10:22 AM
We take our breaks generally in the spring and fall so summers are schooling as usual. We are just about to start up again.

Mom to 5
1 ds 16; 1dd8; and 3 grown, gone...gone... and almost gone!

05-20-2011, 04:30 PM
I normally take a full summer break, but we had a lot of weeks off this spring and I think I'm just going to try for a few weeks off in July this year.

05-20-2011, 05:23 PM
I had planned on taking a break in the summer, but ds has MAJOR spring fever, and we may just have to continue into the summer to finish up. We will be getting some day-old chicks next week, so learning about chickens will be a big part of the summer! Also I would like to organize a monthly group-meet for homeschooling parents in and around my town, to get to know more local families.

05-20-2011, 07:08 PM
We are just finishing up our first year of hs'ing. So this summer is somewhat experimental. :D I would like to keep up their skills by doing some math 1-2 days per week. We will get science covered by going on nature walks and hiking with our nature journals, field guides and cameras in tow. We plan on swimming lots and going on family bike rides. We have a trip to western NY planned for July to see relatives. My dd will take horseback riding lessons and they each may do a 1 week day camp. That should take us to Aug. 1st when we plan to start back to school.

05-20-2011, 07:18 PM
We school year round. Those 90 degree days for several months on end are good times to do school work.

07-11-2011, 03:45 PM
My son has a learning disability plus ADHD. I try to do as much as I can with him, but I let things slide a little more than I'd like to. When it comes to doing homework in summer its a constant battle of "falling off the horse, then getting back on the horse."

07-11-2011, 05:14 PM
My sons are each doing one thing (one math and one reading) this summer and the girls are completely off for the summer. Last year no one did anything and I spent the time organizing their portfolios and getting ready for the next year.

My girls went to regular school for a bit so they got kind of used to the schedule...the boys have never had a "summer vacation" so when I started 100 Easy Lessons and then discovered Funnix.com had a free math download last month I didn't see any reason to just stop doing the things because of the particular month.

Drew Campbell
07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
We start our school year in July and school four days a week year-round, with multiple short breaks as needed. There are some special activities in the summer - camp, swimming lessons - but otherwise we just keep on keepin' on.