PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll: Who/what has inspired you most since you began homeschooling?

pandahoneybee
04-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Since I began this journey/adventure of homeschooling with my boys, going on over 4 years now, I have been inspired by a lot of things. Its hard to narrow it down to just one person, website or place we have gone but I want you to try and think if their is one person, website or place has made you feel like you can keep going to the end! You know when you were at the breaking point, and you got inspired to go on. Maybe it is even from something your kids said or did or a close friend that gave you the much needed pat on the back! So take the poll and then tell us all why you chose what you did, who knows maybe someone else will be inspired by YOU!

Busygoddess
04-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Ok, this will not be a popular answer, but it's the truth. I honestly cannot remember having a single serious doubt about our homeschooling. I've had the occasional passing doubt (mainly about if my patience will hold out through graduation), but never a real doubt. The passing doubts are easily dealt with. All I have to do is think about the year Dea spent in public school & why we chose this particular path. That's always been enough.

pandahoneybee
04-13-2011, 10:37 AM
That's awesome Brandi;) I think that it is an popular answer among the folks on here.

I am inspired everyday from my kids,hubby,my close friend K and this site with all the wonderful members. I wouldn't say that I have had doubts (well maybe after the year end testing!) more like fears that I am not doing enough for my boys. I thought of this poll kinda of to make us think about why we are doing this amazing adventure with our kids and maybe give some credit to someone, etc that helps us discover all the possibilities ;) I know on more than one occasion the folks on here have bought me back from the edge of the cliff of self doubt that I have from time to time;)

Thanks for sharing:o

Sam I Am
04-13-2011, 10:44 AM
This year has been rough for all of us, as it's our first year of homeschooling the kids. They were both in public schools for a long time, so there have been a LOT of bad habits to undo and a lot of learning for all of us. We've changed the curriculum twice since September. It's been rough.

Having said all that, I was recently at jiu-jitsu with the kids listening to the parents and kids all complain about "practice TAKS." This is a time-honored public education tradition where the students are essentially locked in their classroom all day and take "practice" TAKS tests. At the last school our kids attended they even had lunch delivered to the classroom; there were NO breaks all day long. They do this for about a week leading up to the TAKS tests for each subject.

In addition, the kids' grammar, vocabulary and writing have all drastically improved. Our older son has moved up 2 grade levels in Math in the 6 months that we've been homeschooling. They're getting a much better education, seem happier, and we no longer have to deal with all of the drama from the public education system in Texas.

At times it has been trying but the kids have inspired me to keep going. Every time I ask if they want to return to "school," I'm always met with a resounding "NO!"

Busygoddess
04-13-2011, 11:03 AM
I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't get inspired. I get inspiration from here, other forums I've been part of, and the blogs I read. It's not inspiration to keep going, but inspiration for different things to do. I read about the different things people are doing with their kids, and it sometimes gives me ideas. Of course I am inspired by many of the people in my life, in various ways & areas. Homeschooling is one area that I have always been totally confident, though.

I'd love to list some of the people or things that have inspired some of my ideas. Unfortunately, I'm bad at remembering exactly where inspiration comes from, since so many things inspire me in different ways & not all of my ideas make it to fruition.:o

Busygoddess
04-13-2011, 11:05 AM
This year has been rough for all of us, as it's our first year of homeschooling the kids. They were both in public schools for a long time, so there have been a LOT of bad habits to undo and a lot of learning for all of us. We've changed the curriculum twice since September. It's been rough.

Having said all that, I was recently at jiu-jitsu with the kids listening to the parents and kids all complain about "practice TAKS." This is a time-honored public education tradition where the students are essentially locked in their classroom all day and take "practice" TAKS tests. At the last school our kids attended they even had lunch delivered to the classroom; there were NO breaks all day long. They do this for about a week leading up to the TAKS tests for each subject.

In addition, the kids' grammar, vocabulary and writing have all drastically improved. Our older son has moved up 2 grade levels in Math in the 6 months that we've been homeschooling. They're getting a much better education, seem happier, and we no longer have to deal with all of the drama from the public education system in Texas.

At times it has been trying but the kids have inspired me to keep going. Every time I ask if they want to return to "school," I'm always met with a resounding "NO!"

It sounds like you've made some great progress this year! You must be quite proud!

pandahoneybee
04-13-2011, 11:19 AM
I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't get inspired. I get inspiration from here, other forums I've been part of, and the blogs I read. It's not inspiration to keep going, but inspiration for different things to do. I read about the different things people are doing with their kids, and it sometimes gives me ideas. Of course I am inspired by many of the people in my life, in various ways & areas. Homeschooling is one area that I have always been totally confident, though.

I'd love to list some of the people or things that have inspired some of my ideas. Unfortunately, I'm bad at remembering exactly where inspiration comes from, since so many things inspire me in different ways & not all of my ideas make it to fruition.:o
I didn't mean to call you out girlie;) I didn't know if I worded the poll right so I wanted to give who what and where inspires me in our homeschooling. I totally got what you meant!

Jeni
04-13-2011, 11:20 AM
I'd have to say my husband. He surprises me at every turn with homeschooling. I think he's more passionate about it now then I am. He's a police officer and works with school kids on calls all the time. Yeah.... This job pretty much sealed out any doubt he might have had lingering. The fact that he's supportive to the point of doing half the schooling (on top of working and going to school full time), is inspirational to me. I find inspiration on this site as well, it's been a great source of comfort recently.

pandahoneybee
04-13-2011, 11:20 AM

I agree with Busygoddess! Sounds like you did an awesome job this year! For me just saying that we were all alive and learned something was how I kept going after that first year!

pandahoneybee
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
I'd have to say my husband. He surprises me at every turn with homeschooling. I think he's more passionate about it now then I am. He's a police officer and works with school kids on calls all the time. Yeah.... This job pretty much sealed out any doubt he might have had lingering. The fact that he's supportive to the point of doing half the schooling (on top of working and going to school full time), is inspirational to me. I find inspiration on this site as well, it's been a great source of comfort recently.
That wonderful to hear, sometimes the spouses are who need to be convinced that homeschooling is a great thing! I think he is a "keeper";)

rumbledolly
04-13-2011, 11:47 AM
The only support I receive is from this webpage/forum. My DH was at first very supportive but now he looks at the checkbook and remarks how this can't continue without either him making more money or me finding a way to fit more consulting time into my schedule - which sounds easy but the pickings are slim in this economy for theater and customer service consultants! Summer jobs have totally dried up too and I can't really work at DQ for minimum wage.

My family isn't the supportive or inspirational types. They are not against HS'ing they just really don't have much of an opinion either way. My friends, most of whom are teachers, offered initial support and some great advice but now they barely ask about what we're doing or make much attempt to keep in touch.

So without this forum I probably would have given up by now! I have daily doubts but I do think part of it is the perceived negativity I receive from family/friends and their silence. That and it's been a really long emotional school year starting in PS and ending with HS.

Cheryl
04-13-2011, 12:06 PM
my husband.

he wanted us hosmeschool from the beginning. he defends the lifestyle and me as a teacher to his mother, he defends homeschooling to anyone who will listen and even those who won't.

dottieanna29
04-13-2011, 12:17 PM
I put other since a lot of them apply. My husband because he's very supportive and agrees its the best thing for our kids. My kids (especially ds) since they are the reason we are doing this. He's a little quirky and I hate to think about what public school would be like for him.

This forum, blogs and homeschooling Facebook friends are way more supportive than most of my IRL friends or family. My mother is supportive but has "concerns" about being able to prove what the kids have learned (I'm in a non-reporting, non-notification, non-testing, non-portfolio state). MIL is "concerned" about socialization.

So far, I've never even thought about giving up. We are just starting out but ds only went to school for a year of Early Intervention so we're not really trying to undo anything. I think it may be a bit easier if you start from the very beginning.

Marilyn
04-13-2011, 12:20 PM
The majority of my inspiration comes from my kiddos. When I see them light up when involved in a science project, or laughing uncontrollably while reading a book. When I hear them sharing something of interest they have learned to another and they really have an understanding of the subject.....just makes me so glad to be a part of this journey. I wouldn't trade this for anything, not even on those days when inspiration seems to be hiding under a rock somewhere.

Marilyn
Mother to 5
Terry 16; Martha 8

Busygoddess
04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I think it may be a bit easier if you start from the very beginning.

I tend to agree with this.
I understand that kids are different, and I know that some of the stuff we deal with, in regards to Dea's behavior & attitude, are just part of who she is. However, we have had to put in so much effort & time to undo the damage that her Kindergarten year did. Dea's experience in ps Kinder left her convinced that being smart is a bad thing, people don't want to be your friend if you know more than they do, and the only way to get through life is to hide your intelligence. Since school was academically boring, and she associated school with learning, she was convinced that everything I planned for her to study was going to be boring. Plus, according to her school, the kids in her class were not her 'classmates' they were her 'friends'. So, not only did we have to undo the whole being smart is bad thing, and the everything is boring thing, we also had to focus on what a friend really is. Our first year had a lot of time & energy focused on rebuilding her self-esteem, getting her to admit & embrace her intelligence (again), and rebuilding her love of learning & reading (she was the only one in her Kinder class who was reading before the year began, by the end of the year she refused to pick up a book).
Since Jay never went to ps, his love of learning has never been crushed & his self-esteem hasn't suffered. We haven't had to deal with those things with him. It has always been much easier to do school with Jay, because we never had to undo ps damage.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
04-13-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm going to get all mushy and say that this website has been the best source of inspiration and support since we started in September. Reading about other parents dealing with kids who have similar issues as my son has been a great comfort to me. I love hearing about the moments of triumph as well as the bad days, "bad parent" confessions, and other moments of hair-tearing exasperation. They really do inspire me to take a step back from a problem, try new tactics, and never despair that homeschooling a challenging child is impossible. Thanks, everyone. *sniff*

Greenmother
04-13-2011, 01:07 PM
When my kids reach milestones--that is inspiring. I have a couple of supportive friends who have been great. And the negative news that keeps popping up about PS tends to validate my feelings about homeschooling.

farrarwilliams
04-13-2011, 01:11 PM
My homeschool friends. They all do it, so I must be able to too!

JinxieFox
04-13-2011, 01:54 PM
My answer is my son, without a doubt. Knowing what interests him and how he learns has helped me to be a better parent, and to meet his educational needs more fully. Seeing him learn something new is always exciting and inspiring. He makes me want to tackle new things!

MoonSprite
04-13-2011, 07:55 PM
I'd have to say my husband. He surprises me at every turn with homeschooling. I think he's more passionate about it now then I am.

This is my answer too. My DH was the one who talked me into it, when our oldest was halfway thru 4th grade, and when I want to give up, he's always is there to support me or jumps into help and make things better. Plus, I have a lot of health issues, some which keep me homebound quite often, and he is always willing (he works nights) to take them on field trip or parks days - or just to give me a break. Plus - he does all the Science projects. I really don't think I could do it without him. I mean, I probably could...but I sure don't want to and am glad I don't have to. :)

dbmamaz
04-14-2011, 12:02 AM
I thought about it a lot. I actually dont feel 'inspired' much. I'm home schooling because my kids need me to. So I chose kids. They are the reason I do it, the reason i wont give up, the reason I put my all in to it.

Firefly_Mom
04-14-2011, 02:46 AM
In the beginning, my inspiration came mostly from books and HEM (I love Rebecca Rupp!) Hubby was always supportive, but wasn't really sure what to make of my decision to start homeschooling our ds. A few years later I heard him tell somebody: "Homeschooling is like her cooking. I don't know what goes into it, but I like what comes out." :D

pandahoneybee
04-14-2011, 10:09 AM
I just wanted to say thanks so much for all the responses to this thread. I couldn't have asked to be a part of a better group of people to discuss what is on my mind (I know its a scary place;) about all things homeschooling and of course the comic relief I get from reading the posts that some of you start and respond to (even if I forget to post to them, I READ THEM ALL) I have more tea being spit on my computer screen than I would like to admit!

To tell the truth I couldn't pick just one person/etc that inspired me to keep going on those days when a thing called life kicks you down, ya know like when the neighbor got bit by our guard dog (a tiny chiwawa!)! Thanks again to all of you for the great support that you have given me and many others on this site!

inmom
04-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Initially, books and other hs parents inspired me.

But now, my kids definitely inspire me. It's been a joy to see how they're maturing into caring, smart, thoughtful (usually...lol), creative, quirky young adults.

smrtmama
04-14-2011, 11:37 AM
My friend Patchfire (http://patchfire.blogspot.com) not only gave me the courage to start homeschooling, but has kept me honest and kept raising the bar for me along the way. Don't know what I'd do without her support and love!

obimomkenobi
04-14-2011, 01:55 PM
My online friends and friendships. There were very few secular homeschoolers when I first started, and it was the internet friendships I developed in those early years that inspired me - and continue to do so today.

Firefly_Mom
04-15-2011, 04:01 AM
My online friends and friendships.

You inspire us, too! And you crack us up. :D

Satori
04-15-2011, 12:44 PM
I voted "Kids". Homeschooling has been such a fun, thrilling ride. It has enriched the relationship with my young daughter so much. I love seeing how she reacts to our new science topics, latest artist, points in history, geography, and even grammar and math. We get so much synergistic energy learning about the world together.

After my daughter, it would be all the other wonderful homeschooling families from which I get inspiration and ideas, from forums like this or their blogs.

jennykay
04-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Definitely the local homeschooling parents who I connect with each week. I draw inspiration from many places, but these moms and dads find ways to negate any concerns I have about my ability to homeschool and do the best for my kids.

Ariadne
04-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Kids and online forums like this one. I would not still be homeschooling if it weren't for all of the online support, information, ideas, commiseration, inspiration, and laughs I've had for the last 10 years.

leanderthal
11-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Over 25 years ago, when I graduated from college, I visited a professor's cabin out west to do some fly fishing. They had two daughters, 9 and 7 at the time, and they were being homeschooled. I had never heard of that before, and it made a lasting impression on me. The girls were amazing-were learning Latin, French, etc., and were calm, happy, delightful, creative kids. I have always wanted to homeschool-I'm glad my girls decided it was for them...