PDA

View Full Version : Resources for secular families to learn about Easter

04-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Does anyone have any books, websites, videos or other resources to share to explain Christian beliefs about Easter to young children (preschool and early elementary ages)?
Thanks in advance.

04-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Wow, 83 views and no responses. Well, I'll share our plans. I cobbled a few things together for my almost 7 year old, who has been asking questions about God and Easter. In my efforts to try to expose the kids to all different religions as they come up in our learning, we have not yet covered much with Christianity so here's what we are doing this week:
BrainPop.com has a little animated movie about lots of religions, the first part is about Christianity, so we watched that. You can sign up for a week long demo of this subscription-based program.
We have the Usborne book about world religions. It's not the internet-linked one, but we are reviewing that.
We watched videos on You Tube. Typed in "children's easter music" and got lots of secular songs and then "children's easter music choir".

Kylie
04-19-2011, 06:54 PM
For now it's just a topic of conversation for us. Although I was at the library witha friend yesterday and she picked up a few books on the topic that looked quite interesting. :-)

hockeymom
04-19-2011, 07:11 PM
It's solidly known as Bunny Day in our house. :)

I'm not sure I knew it was connected to Christianity until I was an adult. When I was little we'd go to (our hippie Methodist) church on Easter morning, but I guess I figured it was just a good excuse to show off the cute dresses my mom sewed for us and to give the Easter bunny a chance to hide the eggs in the yard.

PaganHSMama
04-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Since I was raised in a Christian home, I just have discussions with my kids about the Christian beliefs of all holidays according to what I already know.

Kirsji
04-19-2011, 11:04 PM
It's solidly known as Bunny Day in our house. :)

Same here! We read lots of little Easter Bunny books and we decorate eggs. Stuff like that.
The kids DO know about the Christian belief of the crucifixion, death, and resurrection associated with Easter, but we don't celebrate that aspect anymore.

For a few years we did the "empty tomb" crescent roll thing (cooking marshmallows in a crescent roll to represent the empty tomb after Jesus rose from the dead) but I stopped doing it when the kids started asking if we could "cook Jesus again". Yeeeesh!
One of the Littles asked me this in the grocery store last year and I thought the lady next to me was going to pass out!

Teri
04-20-2011, 01:01 AM
My kids asked me this week and I just explained it to them.

There are SO MANY books on Christianity, I can't imagine this being an issue? Even Half Price Books has an entire section in the children's area that is Christian themed.
If you have a Bible, you could always read them the story of the resurrection? Or I am sure you can find the story online. :p

Anderags
04-20-2011, 02:38 AM
History channels website has some short videos about its origins. Was planning to do that with mine.

hockeymom
04-20-2011, 06:03 AM
...but I stopped doing it when the kids started asking if we could "cook Jesus again". Yeeeesh!

...I'm going to laugh all day about that one! :)

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
04-20-2011, 09:00 AM
For a few years we did the "empty tomb" crescent roll thing (cooking marshmallows in a crescent roll to represent the empty tomb after Jesus rose from the dead) but I stopped doing it when the kids started asking if we could "cook Jesus again". Yeeeesh!
One of the Littles asked me this in the grocery store last year and I thought the lady next to me was going to pass out!

My kids do this at Sunday School every year. I'm never going to be able to keep a straight face now!

I don't have an Easter suggestion, but there's a beautiful book about Palm Sunday called The Colt and the King by Marni McGee. It's the story of Jesus riding into Jerusalem from the perspective of the donkey colt. Even as an non-believer, I found it very touching.

pandahoneybee
04-02-2012, 10:30 AM
I liked this one on the History channel http://www.history.com/topics/easter-symbols, I do tell my boys about how religious peeps celebrate most of the holidays. When I told them the story about the J man raising from the dead for the first time, the youngest said "Cool, zombie Jesus" LOL ( he was way into zombies for some reason then!!) the discussion that followed was one I will remember forever!!

Here is one on Pagan version of Easter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNXfMjReXgo.

I also love the Montessori activities for younger children http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/03/19/montessori-monday-montessori-inspired-easter-activities/ (from what I could see they were secular didn't see the G or J word:)
and this site has options for religious or secular worksheets:)http://www.dltk-holidays.com/easter/worksheets.htm

Of course this year I sent them this one...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO-QqRJOi9U of course they are 10 and 15 so they laughed so hard!! Please don't judge me:) Just so you know BEFORE you click on it..the title is "The Easter Bunny hates You" and its the easter bunny kicking butt all over the place. hence why my boys thought it was so funny!

SO what are you teaching your kids?

ARawlings
04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
We are trying to teach about all religions because we don't attend any services. It does cause a problem for me because I feel the Christian story of Easter is very heavy for the young ones. So I covered it in a brief conversation and have focused more on celebrating spring and the seasons. When I teach them a moresubstantialworld religions course I will cover the bigger picture. Hope that helped.