PDA

View Full Version : Seen a tornado? Show your kids how research works!

Siggi
04-01-2011, 03:28 PM
We all know that much of learning is knowing how to ask the right questions.

A dear friend of mine is running a research project out of Auburn University in Alabama, on the language used in questions in a survey about tornados.

She'd like to talk to folks over age nineteen who have either seen a tornado/been within two miles of one, or been within five miles of one that was within two miles of their home.

She'd need to talk to you by phone or over skype, for 30-60 minutes, and the university will send you a $20 check as a thank you for your time. Note: this research isn't about you, but about the quality and clarity of the questions themselves!

I plan to do this interview with her tomorrow (I saw a tornado over Boston during hurricane Gloria!), and plan to have my girls listen in, so they can see how this kind of research study works. We'll talk about what makes a good question, and more about the research process in general, then plot how to best spend our $20! ;)

Íf interested, please contact her at [email protected] - she would REALLY appreciate your help! (And I would appreciate your giving it to her!)

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, but I thought that this might be an opportunity to learn and participate that others would be intersted in.

Enjoy, and thanks again!
Siggi

MarkInMD
04-01-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't qualify, but I have plenty of in-laws and friends who would. I'll share the info. I'd love to see the results, as extreme weather is something of an interest around here, as can no doubt be figured out from my signature. :)

Accidental Homeschooler
04-01-2011, 11:47 PM
I sent her an e-mail!

Siggi
04-02-2011, 06:13 PM
I sent her an e-mail!

I just did my interview, and she said that she'd gotten someone from here! Thank you!

I found that *really* interesting. I hope you will too!

She needs 30 people in total, so anyone interested should definitely drop her a line!

Siggi
04-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Thank you for passing this around! She's working with a team of researchers, so I have no idea when their final product is coming out, sorry!

I just did my interview, and it was really interesting. I hope your family and friends enjoy it too! Thanks again!

Greenmother
04-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks Siggi--I just e-mailed her. I live in Tornado Alley and I would love to participate.