PDA

View Full Version : Talk me off the ledge - new here!

sahmIam
03-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Hi everyone! LOVE this site - just found it.

We are in our second year of homeschooling - my girls are 6th and 7th grade. My older daughter is going back to PS in the fall - she got into the school we all wanted and the reasons we started HS are not valid any longer. It is a positive thing, believe me!

But my younger daughter is sad, going to miss big sis so much. And I'm looking at some HS co-op options. Her best friend belongs to Classical Conversations and loves it. Her family is religious but not 'in your face' about it to us. They know we are not religious at all. We are evolutionists while they are obviously creationists. But now I'm considering joining the whole CC thing for two reasons: the social thing - I've met some of the kids that would be in her class and they are so nice - and most of the curriculum. I mean, they teach Latin (which we've struggled with the last 2 years anyway), logic, philosophy, debate, civics, etc. BUT, their science kills me! "It Couldn't Just Happen" and "Don't Check Your Brains at the Door" are two of the books they will be using next year. I've read them. They use the Bible as their "evidence of creation". We are an open minded family and I know I can use this opportunity to teach daughter the ins and outs of all theories of how the world began. My question is this: "Do you think a secular family can successfully nagivate CC?". I really like everything about it but the religious aspect. Will she be singled out, made to feel uncomfortable? What are your thoughts? Am I crazy to do this? Is this secular 'child abuse'? :-)

Anyway, sorry that my first post is so crazy - normally all very sane over here in NC! But sometimes I get my panties in a wad over the craziest things.

dbmamaz
03-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I've never looked in to CC at all - but i would think you should talk to the people who run it, and ask if you can opt out of the science? Or if your daughter can work independently during that time? Talk to your daughter and ask her how she would feel, knowing that the science they teach is not what you and her father (or the public school) believe - would she be ok doing science twice, so she learns real science? could you review it with her discussing the obvious fallacies? and have you talked to her about your concerns about her feeling uncomfortable? Some kids can take it in stride and some cant.

good luck

Stella M
03-07-2011, 04:44 PM
First, I think it's OK to consider sending your dd to CC. You have to use the opportunities that are available. And I understand planning for sad siblings - we'll have that happening in our house next year also.

Second, what Cara said! Plus, it all comes down to discussion - my girls are going to a church youth group atm b/c they like the kids and leaders and activities and we just talk about what the leaders say as compared to what I believe or what they believe.

Mind you, science is tricky 'cos we're dealing with facts not opinions. I would double check your dd is OK with either sitting in a class hearing things she knows to be untrue and not getting worked up about it or OK with not being in that class and people asking 'why'.

farrarwilliams
03-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Welcome!

We used to know a number of families who did CC who were all religious, but not fundamentalists and from the way they described it, I had the impression that religion was a small piece of the program - at least from their perspective. But now I've heard of others who do CC and they're extremely religious and religion is the biggest part of their bond as a group - so I think there's a real spectrum there. It's not for us, that's for sure, but we also have other options in our area. I would consider it as long as you feel like the group is going to be respectful of your daughter and as long as you feel like your daughter is the sort of kid who is going to be respectful of them. Obviously, if she's the sort of kid who is confrontational and anti-religious (I've certainly know kids like that) then it wouldn't be a good fit. They'll probably evangelize at her at least somewhat, but if you feel like they can be tolerant enough to like her for who she is and not ostracize her for her or your beliefs as well as not go too far, such as telling her she's going to hell or something, then maybe it will work out. Good luck!