PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll: What would you be doing if you weren't homeschooling?

Topsy
02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
It is so hard for me to believe, but back in the day when the kiddos were in the hellish three year old stages (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/2565-Am-I-destined-to-fail-at-homeschooling), I truly envisioned myself as becoming the happy-go-lucky soccer mom who worked part-time, attended PTA meetings, and carted her kids back and forth to activities. Homeschooling was the furthest thing from my mind, so it was easy to see myself in this "traditional" American lifestyle.

I would suppose that if I weren't homeschooling this would be about as "enlightened" as it got for me. Homeschooling my kids hasn't just changed my life, it has changed ME. I am a completely different person than I was just 10 years ago - - and definitely for the better. So I'll admit it gives me a little bit of a shiver to try to imagine what I would be doing if I wasn't homeschooling.

How about you??

Kelli Keith
02-24-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't let homeschooling interfere with my wants and desires, the same way I don't let my wants and desires interfere with homeschooling. I was a full time student, whose husband was on a two-year unaccompanied tour overseas, when I began homeschooling 2 years ago. Right now, I'm writing a book. I also am going to the Czech Republic to teach BioArchaeology this summer, then beginning graduate school in the Fall.

TammyT
02-24-2011, 12:20 PM
When I first had my son, I was sure I was going to work full time while he was in daycare/school. But that didn't pan out for various reasons, so I decided to work (very) part time and did that for a long time. Then I started working at home. And now, I volunteer and I'm starting a business (and I have a couple wonderful hobbies). So now that I'm here, I wouldn't change much, except if the kids were in school, I'd spend more time on my business or go to the gym more often. But probably not much more. The biggest difference would be, to be honest, a clean house.

If I had not ever homeschooled, I probably would be working full or part time, and spending as much time as I could at my children's school(s) because that life would have worked well and I wouldn't have had been on the path to working at home or running my own business. And I'd still be fit because I'd still be going to the gym three days a week like I did when they were babies :)

Aandwsmom
02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
I planned on being a SAHM only while we were in military(hubby was AF) and we planned on staying in his full 20 yrs. Well, he got tired of not being around for the boys so we got out. Once we moved to Portland, we quickly realized that we could not afford to live on 1 income so I fell back on my college degree and opened a childcare. My boys were 3 and 4 when we moved here, so it was great. They went to public school and I was as involved as I could be while still doing childcare. I am just thankful that I was still a SAHM/WAHM Mom when we decided to homeschool them. I hoped to be done with childcare by now but things change and with them being homeschooled..... I will continue until they are grown-up.
There are days, when they are bickering and being total turds and ALL the daycare boys are bickering and being turds(they feed off each other and it escalates!) that I dream of driving by the Middle School and dumping my 2, peeling away from the curb, tires smoking and tossing all the daycare toys in the trash, flipping my sign to CLOSED and getting a job outside the home around adults and never changing diapers, wiping runny noses, etc. ever again......
Then I think about my kids and how much better they are doing being homeschooled and take 5 minutes for myself to breathe and go back to reality!LOL

amphibology29
02-24-2011, 12:40 PM
I said other because right now I'd still be a stay at home parent since we have other little ones and are probably having another in the future. But if I wasn't homeschooling any of them, once the youngest was in school I'd probably work part time or volunteer. There are a lot of things I want to do with my time that would have me away from my family more, but right now my "job" is mom. I signed up for it when I decided to have kids and to me it means being there for them at any time possible. I'm lucky that we don't need a second income, and I choose to put my interests in volunteering in place that are not child-friendly behind the interests of the kids. I want to make sure that I give my kids the time they deserve while they're still young enough to want it. Just my $0.02; I know that's not how all families can or should operate.

Riceball_Mommy
02-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I'd still be a stay-at-home mom working on my art career, so I chose the first option. Right now the only thing holding me back from getting work done on a regular basis is me. I procrastinate, and loose motivation.

Aos_si
02-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Homeschooling is part of my wants and desires and so I just tag the kids along. Going foraging for some wild greens? Take the kids. Making a lotion to sell at market? Have the kids help out. I said other because I am doing exactly what I'd be doing if I weren't homeschooling.

mommykicksbutt
02-24-2011, 01:30 PM
I would be an almost full-time SAHM simply because I work for myself when I work, so not so much would be different. I know if the kiddo were in warehouse school I would have less time for everything because I would be playing taxi to and from school. I've already done that and I spent 4 hours a day with my butt in the driver's seat driving to and from school in rush hour city traffic each direction. A complete waste of time for both sonny and I. There is so much more time for school and work when both are done from home.

dottieanna29
02-24-2011, 01:51 PM
If homeschooling never came up for us, both younger kids would probably be in preschool at least part of the time. I would probably be going to school to finish up my teaching certification and/or substitute teaching (depending on how long/how many days they were in preschool).

Now that my mother is retired and we are gearing up to building our house, I may be getting a part time job back in my old field - pharmaceutical administrative assistant - with the idea of working toward certification and eventually working at home as a medical writer.

dbmamaz
02-24-2011, 01:53 PM
I fantasize about job hunting. I miss working. We NEED to put away money for retirement. I am hoping Raven will go back to school for high school (in the specailty center) so I can go back to work. Dh hopes its middle school - but there is only one specailty middle school center, and its all about doing 10 times as much homework as anyone else.

inmom
02-24-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm one that thrives on being busy, so given that my kids are teens now, I'd be working full-time, just to squirrel the money away for their college and our retirement.

my2monkeys
02-24-2011, 04:25 PM
So, since I'm not yet homeschooling (we afterschool, sort of) I didn't have to ponder too much. I work part time right now. My dream would be to stay home full time and volunteer as needed but of course that's with my dream of winning the lottery.

jess
02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
I chose "other" because I'm looking for a job right now, and we'll continue homeschooling after I find one, so it's a bit of a false dichotomy for us.

If we were a "typical" mom stays home, dad works, homeschooling family with all kids school-aged and we decided to send them back to school, then probably some combo of part or full-time job, more hobbies, more volunteering, and staying involved.

Batgirl
02-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I'd be doing more of the same. I would be volunteering at school a lot to keep tabs on what's going on with Batman as well as the preschool Robin would no doubt be enrolled in. After school hours would be taken up with therapies, playdates I felt were obligatory to make sure Batman didn't wind up too socially isolated at school, extracurricular stuff, and oh yes, the nightly struggle to get Batman to do homework as well as coping with his anxiety from school.

farrarwilliams
02-24-2011, 09:13 PM
I must say I feel like a bit of a crazy person putting that I can't imagine my life without homeschooling... and it's not strictly true that I can't. I can imagine lots of things I might be doing if I wasn't busy with homeschooling... the thing I can't imagine is what the kids would be doing, because they sure wouldn't be in school. I decided to homeschool more than ten years before I had kids. I decided to homeschool so long ago that it's hard to see past that decision. It's just so cemented.

Tammera
02-24-2011, 10:00 PM
When my youngster was in PS, I worked outside of the house part time, and ran my advocacy business part time. If I had not started homeschooling, I would have probably continued this schedule. I enjoyed being in the educationally legal environment and, quite honestly, do miss it from time to time. :) I love homeschooling though and my kiddo has taken to it exceptionally well. We're having a blast, so in the meantime I'm trying to continue my home business as time allows. The nature of special education gives me most of the year at a slower pace anyhow, which is nice. :)

Laina
02-24-2011, 10:51 PM
We haven't started homeschooling yet--dd is going to finish her K year in ps--but we have decided to do it next year. Either way, my work status would be the same: part-time work at home. I still will have to work my freelance jobs from home, but I will have to do it nights and weekends or other time I can steal rather than during normal working hours. If dd were going to first grade next year, I'd have my 3yo in a part-time preschool program so I'd have time to work during the day. That would have been kind of nice. Oh well.

Pilgrim
02-24-2011, 11:08 PM
I was planning on spending more time with my hobbies after both kids were school age. I would have gone back to teaching a few classes while they were in school too. Now that we're planning on HSing, p/t teaching will be on hold and I will drop my volunteer position--certainly no big sacrifice on my part.

StartingOver
02-25-2011, 11:22 AM
After 23 years, I have no idea how to do anything but be a SAHM and homeschool. I won't be finished till I am about 57. I think I will just retire then and travel.

naturegirl7
02-25-2011, 11:54 AM
I had a hard time answering this cuz it is based on the assumption that HSing moms are SAHM or WAHM.

I am a WOHM - I was doing M-F 3-11 shifts (which was more like 3-12 or 1am) and then getting up with my son by 7, HSing him, running him to activities and classes and MD appts, cooking all his food from scratch due to his extensive food allergies, and then heading off to work 8-10 hrs caring for other people. Now, I have switched to weekend doubles - 16 hr shifts every Sat and Sun. It leaves my weekdays more free, but we have filled it with stuff we used to wish we had time to do. LOL

If my child attended public school -
in a world with no food allergies, I would likely work 7-3 to maximize our family together together and eliminate the need for babysitters/daycare. I would make sure I had atleast 1 weekday off though so I could be incredibly active in his school - volunteering, attending class trips, PTA, running him to activities, etc.
In our realistic world with food allergies, I would be at the school ALL the time and be addicted to Xanax when not there. Or sitting in the ER on a regular basis cuz the school has no clue how to keep kids with allergies safe. And working whenever he was not in school and was safe at home, which means I would never get to see my child (or my hubby) :(

Pilgrim
02-25-2011, 11:08 PM
I signed up for it when I decided to have kids.... I want to make sure that I give my kids the time they deserve while they're still young enough to want it.

Well-said. The older they get, the more strongly I sense that time slipping away. Anything else I want to do -- teach, write, volunteer -- can wait. Of course, balance is necessary and I'll need time to myself, just as they won't benefit if I'm there ALL the time. :rolleyes: However, I've dubbed this the year of no big individiual me plans -- I've already scaled back my little p/t photo business and am getting pretty good at saying 'no' to others and not volunteering to help where normally I would. Looking back over the last few years, despite being with the kids a lot, I wish I'd been more present, more in the moment with them. So this year, I will be, and that means putting other things 'over there'. I'll do them later.

dbmamaz
02-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah, being present in the moment was, unfortuneatly, never one of my strengths. You gotta work with what you got. I actually used to say i did the whole 'attachment parenting' trip (cosleeping, extended nursing) as a way to try to counteract my natural tendancy to not get close to people. Hopefully it helped. and home schooling. sigh.

MarkInMD
02-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Since I already do work at home full-time and do about half the HS work with my wife doing the other half (she works PT outside the home mostly), I'd have to say I'd participate in more hobbies. I already indulge in acting in local theatres, but if homeschooling weren't in the picture, I could concentrate more on writing, which I love but have to set aside a big chunk of time for. I can't do dribs and drabs here and there, and that's really all that's left over these days.

That being said, as others have pointed out, it can wait. This is more important.

Siggi
02-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Even if my girls were in preschool, my little guy is only 2.5, so I'd be a SAHM regardless, but I'd hopefully be gearing up to start my M Ed in the fall. As it stands now, that will be a few more years down the road.

Sam
02-28-2011, 11:01 PM
I was a SAHM before homeschooling so nothing different here :)

rumbledolly
03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Even though I answered full time in reality it would be closer to part time with more volunteering added in. I worked FT from home for about two years and prior to that I telecommuted a few days a week and worked outside the home a few days a week. I've never been a 9-5'er I can't imagine having to work in a cube with other people in their cubes working doing the same thing...eeek!

I purposely had a child late compared to the local standards (37 though by the OBGYN reaction you'd think I was 67). I didn't have a child later to just ship her off to daycare, pre K, K and then public school. I did ship her off and things went ok until we moved when she was in 3rd grade. Needless to say it took be three years to figure it out but we're now finally happier than ever. Even though we're poorer than a church mouse! But happiness outweighs money to me....most of the time!

I actually have a job opportunity on the table (waiting for grant approval) that has me trying to figure out how to HS plus work part time outside of my home office.

Pilgrim
03-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Is anyone else plagued by having too many interests and possible directions? In the past few years, I've considered and researched doing an online degree in photography, doing a low-res degree in writing, writing YA novels, writing online for money, starting a band, teaching guitar lessons, starting a local arts group, start a community arts center, and many other things. I've only gone beyond the research stage in a few things -- starting a (horrible) novel, taking a few short online courses, and starting a small photo business (which I'm already stepping away from after less than two years.

Eh, I'm babbling... but I wonder if anyone else feels pulled in as many directions as I am. I joke I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, as if there's one and only one answer and when I discover it, somehow everything will fall into place and I'll be content with 'work' forever after.

jennykay
03-01-2011, 06:14 PM
It's a good question. If I wasn't homeschooling I'd probably go back to work in some capacity (I resigned from my prior position last year so it still feels new to not work). I had shifted to part time work and would still want to do that for some balance in life. I'm so glad to have chosen a different path though. Our whole family has transformed for the better in the past year even if we are considerably poorer!

SueEllen Grieves-Curl
03-02-2011, 07:01 AM
I actually thought about homeschooling as soon as I knew I was pregnant the first time. So yes even before my kids were born I knew. We did allow her to go to school but it was her choice not to go back and that only lasted 1 week in each school.

Fiddler
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
I already work part time, but would probably do something else part time that takes more time, effort, and focus. Something that allows me to stay home and be a hermit rather than interact with the world at large would be ideal. :)

Kylie
03-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I said other because right now I'd still be a stay at home parent since we have other little ones and are probably having another in the future. But if I wasn't homeschooling any of them, once the youngest was in school I'd probably work part time or volunteer. There are a lot of things I want to do with my time that would have me away from my family more, but right now my "job" is mom. I signed up for it when I decided to have kids and to me it means being there for them at any time possible. I'm lucky that we don't need a second income, and I choose to put my interests in volunteering in place that are not child-friendly behind the interests of the kids. I want to make sure that I give my kids the time they deserve while they're still young enough to want it. Just my $0.02; I know that's not how all families can or should operate.

That's about me too...I try not to see it as pushing my needs/wants aside though and embrace them as desires we have as family. I know how lucky I am to be able to homeschool my kids and that at some point over the next few years they will need a lot less of me and that is when I can do something truly just for me.....for now it is for all us and that's ok too.