PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll??? Again??? Help!!!

Topsy
02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Okay, my brain is fried this week and I need some input. :confused: I can't even come up with a question for our weekly poll! What kind of things would YOU like to know about each other? Could everyone suggest some new potential poll questions for me in the comments and then maybe I can choose from them for a few weeks to give my poor tired brain a break??

THANK YOU in advance!! :)

Topsy

Pilgrim
02-23-2011, 04:23 PM
What was YOUR favorite subject as a student?

What would you be doing if you weren't homeschooling?

How many times have you moved since having kids?

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
02-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Hmmmm... maybe, "What's your favorite non-academic homeschooling perk?" (Flexible schedule, family time, less peer-pressure/bullying, spending more time in your pajamas, etc.)

dbmamaz
02-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Something about how we deal with or what we think of the homeschooling laws in our state/country? how many pets do you have? do you think your kids will go to college, community college, other trade school, none, or a combination?

farrarwilliams
02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Forgive me if I overlap a topic already done...

Favorite subject to teach?
Least favorite subject to teach?
Most frustrating part of homeschooling?
How many hours a day do you spend on homeschooling?
How many friends do your kids have - lots, just a couple, none and we like it, help we need more?
Are you religious (just secular in your homeschooling...)?
What's your house TV policy?
How heavily do you rely on the library for homeschooling?
Spiral or mastery?
What age does homeschooling "start"?
Who would win in a battle to the death - astronaut or caveman?

mommykicksbutt
02-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Did you give up a career to homeschool? or are you able to juggle homeschooling and work?

When do you do "school?" crack of dawn? late morning/noon start? afternoon? evening? vampire hours?

How much planning and research goes into your curriculum choices? choose whatever comes along in a package because it's convenient? or have you ever stalked the authors of the gold standard texts for their opinions? (perhaps somewhere in between)

If and/or when you become a grandparent, would you be willing to homeschool your grandchildren?

What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

Topsy
02-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Lifesavers...the LOT OF YOU!!! :) You have hopefully given me the brain boost I needed. Thanks so much!!!

jeliau
03-12-2011, 10:08 PM
I need to find a nanny for the first time. What advice can others give on finding a nanny familiar with/open to homeschooling AND accepting of secular home environment?

Batgirl
03-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Facetiously, what's your Meyers-Briggs type? How may that have affected your decision to homeschool? Discuss. Now that you are homeschooling, do you wish you lived somewhere else? What would you particularly look for in a house if you could move?

dbmamaz
03-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Wouldnt you rather start a post with that question? Maybe under the general conversation forum?

Firefly_Mom
03-13-2011, 02:40 PM
If someone gave you $1000 (or another arbritrary number) to use for homeschooling, what would you do with it?

What would be your dream field trip? What would be your kids' dream field trip? ('Cause you know they're probably different. ;) ).

Batgirl
03-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Wouldnt you rather start a post with that question? Maybe under the general conversation forum?

I didn't think too much about it, honestly. Sure, one of these times when I'm feeling particularly social.

dbmamaz
03-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Batgirl, I didnt mean you, I meant Jiliau, who was asking about what questions to ask a potential home-schooling nanny. this sounds like something which she needs advice for soon, and not appropriate for the poll-of-the-week

Ariadne
03-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Facetiously, what's your Meyers-Briggs type? How may that have affected your decision to homeschool? Discuss. Now that you are homeschooling, do you wish you lived somewhere else? What would you particularly look for in a house if you could move?Why facetiously? I'd like to see those results. The other main forum I'm on has an overabundance of one type and I'd be very curious to see if that plays out here as well. Over there we think it's related to the personality type that tends to participate there, but I don't know.

Let's do Meyers-Briggs. :D

dbmamaz
03-21-2011, 03:56 PM
ack - only if you have a link to take it for free!

Ariadne
03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
ack - only if you have a link to take it for free!I do. Lemme find it, lol.

ETA Meyers-Briggs personality test (http://www.personalitytest.net/cgi-bin/q.pl)

Here's the Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator) in case anyone doesn't know what the heck we're talking about.

Here's a good overview (http://www.personalitypage.com/portraits.html) on the types once you figure out which one you are.

dbmamaz
03-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Crap, I know for a FACT that my answers to these have changed RADICALLY from the first time i took this kind of test in middle school. being a parent of specail needs children really forces you to become much more practical and efficient. ack. NOT!!!

CatInTheSun
03-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Crap, I know for a FACT that my answers to these have changed RADICALLY from the first time i took this kind of test in middle school. being a parent of specail needs children really forces you to become much more practical and efficient. ack. NOT!!!

<chuckle> That's *supposed* to happen -- your "type" doesn't change, but as we age we supposedly develop our "other side" to become more rounded. On these tests the trick is to answer based on what you are inclined towards, not what you necessarily make yourself do, if that makes sense.

I've found this stuff useful (esp in understanding the folks around me and how to communicate with them, lol). If your "type" doesn't fit, read the others and see if one resonates.

Maybe a poll Q could be whether your kids share the same/similar type as you and if not, how do you deal?

Ariadne
03-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Crap, I know for a FACT that my answers to these have changed RADICALLY from the first time i took this kind of test in middle school. being a parent of specail needs children really forces you to become much more practical and efficient. ack. NOT!!!True! Even being married has changed my answers.

dbmamaz
03-21-2011, 11:13 PM
it told me i'm a salesperson . . . PUH - LEEEZE. Nothing makes me happier than playing with my databases. Except maybe helping other people get what they need out of my databases.

Ariadne
03-21-2011, 11:29 PM
it told me i'm a salesperson . . . PUH - LEEEZE. Nothing makes me happier than playing with my databases. Except maybe helping other people get what they need out of my databases.LOL! Maybe you should consider a career selling databases. :D

I crack myself up.