View Full Version : Weekly Poll: What does your daily schedule look like?

02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm a morning person. No doubt about it. I don't even drink coffee in the morning -- don't need it. I'm awake at 6'ish every day and ready to go. So early in our homeschool adventure, I scheduled everything around this fact about myself. I woke the boys up by 7, and got them started ed-ju-macating by no later than 8. This worked terrific!!

For about a day.

Then, reality kicked in, and I realized that my morning-chipper-ness didn't necessarily rub off on the old genetic code. Pretty soon, I figured out that while my youngest offspring was pretty geared-in by 9am or so, my oldest didn't even become fully human until after lunch. So for my younger son, the bulk of our homeschooling happened in the morning, and with my older one, we dug in later in the day. This wasn't necessarily the easiest route for me (I REALLY wanted everything to be done and behind us by early afternoon), but it was the necessary one.

Live and learn.

What about you, what kind of daily rhythm are you finding works best for your family?

02-09-2011, 05:35 PM
This is our first year, so I still feel like we're getting our feet wet. It would be nice to do all the school work in one fell swoop in the morning and have afternoons free. But my kids really only work in short spurts and then want a break. They don't seem to have any preference of mornings or afternoon. Actually they would pick "none of the above" and just play all day rather than do seat work if I let them. So we try to take care of the seat work first thing (it could begin anywhere from 9:30 to 11:00, depending on what I need to do in the morning). I take turns with them at the dining room table doing short writing and math lessons while the other one reads in the living room. Then I read to them, usually something related to history, science, or geography. They we break until lunch. I usually read to them while they are finishing up their lunches. Just recently, I've been trying to send them to their rooms for an hour of "quiet time" for an hour after lunch. Most of their outside-the-house activities are in the afternoon, so any other school work (usually more reading or art projects) is worked around them.

02-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Neither my son or myself are morning people. We like to stay up late, sleep in a bit, and then tackle homeschooling after a few hours. We usually start around 1pm, and finish around 4-4:30pm. I found if my son works in the morning he'll make more errors, and just really doesn't have his heart in it yet.

02-09-2011, 05:58 PM
We are all 3 of us night people... (that includes the one still in PS)... We have to get motivated to get the one to PS..and DD doesnt get the majority of her work done until late late evening. She does a lot of daytime hours working on her novels though... We are as laid back as it is possible to be with a special child in the house. His home work from public school should only take him about 45 minutes... but reality is it takes almost 4 hours... :(

02-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I voted it depends on outside activities, but really, we don't have that many. Our homeschool group generally only meets up once every 2 weeks so otherwise we have a normal schedule. DD2 goes down for a nap around 9:30-10am and we start school then. If DD1 is actually focusing, we're done by noon. Other days, like today, we're still working at 4pm... But we do start in the mornings everyday unless we're at the homeschool group.

02-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Ds and I are morning people, but my daughter is not. I answered that every day is different; it depends on outside activities, my work schedule, hubby's work schedule. Generally, our agreement is that what is assigned that day gets done that day, whenever the kids decide to tackle it.

02-09-2011, 06:27 PM
The boys and I all seem to be morning people. They are up by 7 (probably earlier but they aren't allowed downstairs until 7), I usually read for a bit in bed before getting up by 8. School starts at 9 and we try to be done by lunch. DS7 has a tough time the later it gets in the day and seems to do better if we move from one thing to the next rather than having to go later into the afternoon.

02-09-2011, 06:45 PM
We do all of our traditional book type homeschooling in the morning. Most days we have outside activities so if it's not done by the time we need to leave around 9:30 or 10:00, then it doesn't happen that day. End of story. But, of course, ballet class, co-ops, DI team, Shakespeare rehearsal, etc. is all homeschooling too. Just not sit down and do math homeschooling. And there are read-alouds in the evening and sometimes games in the afternoons.

02-09-2011, 08:13 PM
We do our table work (math, L/A) first thing in the morning; it's best if we start by 8 am when DH leaves for work. After that comes history and science and we're usually done by lunch. Sometimes history consists of a book read at bedtime and science projects might happen in the afternoon, but if math and grammar don't get done right away, they just never will. DS would spend all day reading and being read to if he could get away with it, but I've learned that reading has to wait until the core subjects are done or it will take over our day. Not the worst problem, mind you!

02-09-2011, 08:18 PM
I try to start school in the morning, some days we can work straight through everything until lunch, other days we break things up. Some days if we are going out somewhere I may do some work in the evening. Mostly now though if I can't at least start the school work in the morning then I just write the whole day off. The focus is just not there for either of us if we start later in the day.

02-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Every day, every week and every month looks different around here. :p

Mondays I do laundry and a thorough cleaning because the house is a mess after daddy being home all weekend. So, no school usually unless its a special, fun project.

Tuesday through Thursday we usually do Language Arts (ETC, AAS and writing sheets) and Math (MEP, Time, Money & Addition worksheets) in the morning. Our Science or Geography project would be done in the afternoon. Except on the weeks my oldest is here (every other week). On those weeks our afternoons are cut short having to pick her up from school and drive her to work/dance. Not to mention we are all tired and cranky from having to get up too early to bring her to school. So, we usually do the LA/Math OR a Science/Geography project OR nothing. I've decided I'm going to give myself permission to take it easy those weeks because they really are rough (up at 6:30, haul the kids out of bed and into the cold to drive her to school, get home, feed kids, do dishes, stop kids fighting, feed kids, pick her up from school, stop at home for 5 minutes for her to grab dance stuff, drive 45 minutes one way to drop her off, drive all the way home, eat dinner, clean up, drive 30 minutes back to pick her up and finally get home at 10pm, to bed somewhere around 10:30). DS is working at least a year to a year and a half beyond what he'd be doing at school and I don't have to report anything to anyone, so I'm just going to relax.

Oh Yeah, on Fridays we do a few little things and then they have gymnastics. I usually give them a bath that morning since otherwise (even if they had a bath the night before) dd's hair will be a tangled mess, she'll have marker/paint/glue all over herself, etc. You know, the usual.

02-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I am trying to wake up earlier so we can start earlier. But I just can't, they used to wake me up but now they just cuddle up next to me and go back to sleep. Then it's so snuggly and warm I don't wan tot get up when my alarm goes off. LOL

02-09-2011, 09:25 PM
We go from 8am - 4pm with a two hour break for lunch and play time at the park.
I'm a night-owl so I seem to get a second wind in the afternoon.

02-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Where's the "Whenever we happen to get around to it" option? :)

That's basically how it is for us. Most days, different things are spread out throughout the day. Sometimes we get started in the morning, sometimes later. But we generally do short lessons with lots of time in between, and don't really have a set schedule for that day.

Maybe we should, but it works as long as I don't get lazy.

02-10-2011, 02:12 AM
The "big" girls are morning people, the baby and I are not. So baby and I lounge in bed snoozing and nursing while daddy has breakfast with his girls, then they get some free time while I eat. We usually start school when the baby really wakes up (around 9:30 or 10) and we're usually done by the time daddy comes home for lunch. Afternoon is naptime for the littles and my oldest and I read together, catch up on school work if she's behind, or just hang out.

02-10-2011, 02:51 AM
I chose 'each day is different'. We shoot for mid-morning through mid-afternoon lately, but ideally, we school mostly in the mornings. It depends heavily on what we have planned for that day - sometimes we do heavier or lighter days depending on the schedule.

02-10-2011, 08:17 AM
"Each day's homeschool schedule looks very different" because there are several factors involved in what goes into our day. First, I have Fibromyalgia so a lot depends on the season (Fall and Winter affect me the most). Second, I am a morning person while my daughter is not. Which is actually great for me because I use my mornings to work and study. Third, since we are not "officially" homeschooling since my daughter is only 6, I haven't really set up a schedule to begin with. So, basically, we just sort of "go with the flow", which works really well for us. In the end, I am not really sure I will ever "do" a schedule.

02-10-2011, 09:09 AM
We start about 10:30 or so but don't usually finish until 3-4, so mostly afternoons here.

02-10-2011, 09:31 AM
In my perfect homeschooling world we'd have our lessons done by early afternoon. It almost never happens though. On days that we are home all day we usually don't get going until 10 am and don't finish until late afternoon. We have many days that we are out of the house for part of the day though and on those days we really struggle with getting anything done.

Honestly, after a strong start for the second part of our year in January we are really floundering now. I'm dealing with seasonal depression, which I always have this time of year, and we are all feeling lonely due to the continued lack of friends in the homeschool community. I need to find a way to get us back in the groove. I have a lot that I want us to accomplish in the next few months, so I need to get us back on track somehow.

02-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Ds and I are both night owls, though I *know* that I get more stuff done in the day if I get up early. For awhile, it wasn't such a big deal to let him sleep as long as he needed to. Now that he has so many afternoon activities, though, it makes it harder and harder to get other things done. I know that his sleep patterns have changed a lot since he hit the teen years (love those hormones!), but we're going to have to buckle down and start getting up earlier in order to accomplish all that he's wanting to do.

02-10-2011, 04:52 PM
We do everything we can in the mornings. It seems the flow and focus here disappears after lunch. Mine and theirs. Our read-aloud time is sometime in the afternoon, though.

02-10-2011, 05:13 PM
We start at 8am because that's when the littles and I get back from dropping DS14 at the PS. As much as I hate to get up and go out into the cold, it works out nicely for us to wake up and get moving first thing. We get cleaned up and dressed, walk the dogs, and do some chores, then sit down for some 3Rs bookwork by 9 or 9:30am. After that's over, usually at about 11am, we have lunch, science or history, puzzles, games, aikido practice, art, and/or audiobooks, until it's time to pick up DS from school. I've drawn a line in the sand that the school day is over at 3pm, no matter what time we got started and how far we get.

02-11-2011, 12:40 AM
We try to start the day by 9am, but with a teen it is more like 10am. I work with my DD~7 one-on-one, while DD~13 works independently. All of this revolves around Dad working from home in our very small house.At times this dictates what we can do. I also have the girls work at night on "homework" because we just don't get it all done during the day.

02-11-2011, 09:36 AM
We've always worked better in the morning, especially for Math and LA. My kids just have better focus in the morning.
We keep the together subjects (history, science, art, etc..) for the afternoon. It just works this way for us, for now.

02-11-2011, 08:42 PM
I would like the day to start more promptly, but it doesnt. I have a blog post about it here (http://dbmamaz.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/a-day-in-the-life/) - but basically I get downstairs around 9:30, and school starts at 10:30 on martail arts days (which is at noon) and 11-11:30 on other days. We do about an hour, break for dog walk or martail arts and lunch, and do another 30-60 minutes? But if we're starting at 11:30, that puts most of it past noon. I dont think its enough, but i'll need to get more organized AGAIN to fix that.

02-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Although each day is a bit different, I try very hard to get the majority of "stuff" done as early as possible (i.e., mornings). We have afternoon activities almost every day and it's hard to get back into things once we've been away from it for a while (though that does happen). So I voted for "mornings." :)

02-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Every year seems to work out different for us, this time around we get school done before lunch. Afternoons are for running errands and such.

02-18-2011, 01:38 AM
We school at different times during the day. It usually depends on what activities/chores we have planned that day, and we go around that. We are not morning people either though, so school usually starts for us around 10ish, then starts and stops throughout the day as we need it to. If we have an activity to go to, we usually take whatever were working on (on clipboards), and work on it in the car, or whoever isn't in the activity works on it through the activity. So while my daughter is having gymnastics or ballet, my boys work on some of their assignments, and when the boys have football or capoeira my daughter works on hers. It's not a perfect system, since I have to always carry a bag with clipboards and pencil box and have them grab a few assignments out of workboxes, but it works so far.