PDA

View Full Version : Did you name your HS?

naturegirl7
01-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Did you name your Homeschool? Why and what did you name it?

I am really thinking about naming ours - there are some memberships and some free giveaway stuff that require a school name. Right now I just listed "our last name" Academy, but Blah! We plan on HSing for the long haul, so I am thinking about giving us an official name - something that would look good on a transcript or resume....

Dh and I were thinking Aristotle Acamedy at first. I found a couple really cool quotes from Aristotle that I love. But lately I have been seriously thinking about Odyssey Academy or The Odyssey Academy. I originally dismissed it cuz we have a local charter called Odyssey Charter School and it just seemed so copy-cat. But we are likely moving next year anyway, and it just really resonates with me.

Our motto is basically Learning thru Exploration or Education thru Exploration. Something fancy would be like - Inspiring and Empowering Young Minds through Exploration. or Encouraging Exploration to Empower and Inspire Young Minds or Exploration Based Education to Inspire and Empower Young Minds - something like that, you get the point LOL
I also like the idea that it is the journey, not the destination - but I can't find the actual quote for that...Anyone know where I could find the actual quote??
Plus my son is OBSESSED with the Odyssey and has been since shortly before we started school - it shaped the direction we took with school honestly, following his passion and making Ancient History our core and tying all other subjects into it.

The Odyssey Academy doesn't sound too hokey though does it?? I really want whatever we name it to be something we can use throughout.

THanks for listening to the ramble LOL

belacqua
01-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Maybe you could pick another reference from the Odyssey? I'll bet you won't run into too many charter schools called Telemachus Academy or Nestor Academy, for instance. I quite like Odyssey Academy, though. It doesn't sound hokey at all. It oozes intellectualism.

We never bothered naming our school. I just write the painfully unimaginative "Home School" on the lines that call for school name. It does trip people up sometimes, though. It was amusing to observe the progression through three years of Mathcounts. The first year, the poor announcer struggled with, "[Kid's Name] from...um...Home... School?" By the last year, she cheerfully announced, "[Kid's Name], a homeschooled student from [Rinkydink City]."

kewb22
01-14-2011, 02:06 PM
We named ours. The kids wanted to name their homeschool after my father who believed very strongly in the importance of education. Thus, Howard Academy was born.

higgledypiggledy
01-14-2011, 02:39 PM
We named ours when the school district registrar didn't accept home school. On the spur of the moment I said North Star Academy. I had just driven by North Star Community Bank. I love the idea of finding someone/something in history. How fun would it be to trip folks up by saying you were educated in the Cult of Pythagorus. I love math!

Hampchick
01-14-2011, 04:59 PM
For a while I called us "last_name Family school," boring! We moved to Woodland Dr, which I thought was a great name for a school so now were either Woodland Homeschool or Woodland Valley school. Just for fun :)

On the spur of the moment I said North Star Academy.

There actually is a North Star school near us for homeschooled teens. Funny.

Stella M
01-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Once; when I was buying a science program and they wouldn't sell it to me without a name. So i wrote down 'Green Gables Homeschool'. We've never actually used the name though.

Stages
01-14-2011, 07:22 PM
The [Last Name] School of Excellence for Girl.

sallymae
01-14-2011, 08:18 PM
We refer to ours as The Schultz's' Academy

Riceball_Mommy
01-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Dogwood Academy, it started out Dogwood Elementary, but my husband said academy sounded better. My grandmother lived on Dogwood rd, and had a beautiful Dogwood tree in her yard so that's where the name came from. I only use it on forms we don't have a logo or motto or anything.

dbmamaz
01-14-2011, 08:48 PM
I actually asked my boys today, they both felt it was not a thing that needed a name.

Dm379
01-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Magnolia Classical Academy. We had to name it for the state when we registered. Magnolia because there's a magnolia tree in the yard. DH wanted to call it Magnolia Institue of Learning Forever so he could call it MILF. Needless to say, I nixed that idea!

Topsy
01-14-2011, 10:05 PM
We actually had a weekly poll on this topic (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/1576-Weekly-Poll-How-did-you-come-up-with-a-name-for-your-homeschool) a while back. Read through some of the responses if you are looking for neat ideas!

Miguels mommy
01-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Well, DS and DH refuse to name it anything but The "Un-dead panda Academy". Our blog has us named (city we live in) home academy.

MamaTea
01-15-2011, 12:39 AM
We are really boring and just put "homeschool" on all the forms. I have asked the boys a few times if they want to name the school and they get all excited but never come up with anything other than "Pokemon Academy" or "Star Wars School" :) Dawn, I thought the whole MILF thing was hilarious!!! Sounds like something my husband would try to do!

Berta
01-15-2011, 10:13 AM
We needed a name when we registered with the State also. We call ours White Sands Academy for Girls because homeschooling allows us more time for trips to the beach with our toes in the white sands that we love.

dottieanna29
01-15-2011, 11:33 AM
We don't need a name "officially" but every so often I'll sign up for something on-line that asks for a school name and it seems better to put something. I went with Oak Hills Academy. The name of our neighborhood is Oak Hills and it's easy to remember.

Busygoddess
01-16-2011, 05:11 AM
We actually had a weekly poll on this topic (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/1576-Weekly-Poll-How-did-you-come-up-with-a-name-for-your-homeschool) a while back. Read through some of the responses if you are looking for neat ideas!

There was also another thread (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/1116-Does-your-homeschool-have-a-name) about it last summer.

MoonSprite
01-16-2011, 06:01 AM
"The Whimsical Academy of Precocious Children"

But that is just what we call it for fun.

We named ours when the school district registrar didn't accept home school. On the spur of the moment I said North Star Academy.

That's funny - I actually had kicked around "North Star Academy" not too long ago. :)

Shoe
01-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Did you name your Homeschool? Why and what did you name it?

I am really thinking about naming ours - there are some memberships and some free giveaway stuff that require a school name. Right now I just listed "our last name" Academy, but Blah! We plan on HSing for the long haul, so I am thinking about giving us an official name - something that would look good on a transcript or resume.... That's we named ours-the Grandview Home Learning Academy-for some of the freebies that are available.

Sorry, I have no good suggestions for a name for yours.

Bellanina
01-16-2011, 01:09 PM
We named our M3 Homeschool, since all 3 boys' names start with "M". How boring I know, but I hate being creative, which is also why we don't have a logo, emblem or school colors.

Dave wanted "3M Homeschool' but thought the 3M company might complain ;)

Kell
01-16-2011, 06:13 PM
How funny, dottieanna, we actually almost named ours Oak Hills Academy, too. (It is the name of, not exactly our neighbourhood, but a large subsection of our city. We went with The Legacy Academy, though, since that is our current street, but it's a nice name we can take with us wherever we may eventually go.

ClassicalLearning
01-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Aristotle Academy: Learning through Exploration

My son liked that one. He liked learning about Aristotle.

lynne
01-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Chadwell Academy (our street name) :)

StartingOver
01-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Colburn Classical Academy. Boring yes, but the name isn't the most common. The only reason I named our homeschool is to have something to put on our ID cards. Around here we get tons of discounts, and since Texas doesn't require any notification we needed some kind of proof. And it gets me into the Teachers Expo each year. :-) I have some amazing Posters, Teachers Guides, CD's, DVD's, & etc from there. I look forward to it every year. Most of the educational freebies available to teachers want the name of your school too, we hit the jackpot with those on occasion, last year was a gold mine.

arenas3651
01-31-2011, 02:08 AM
We had to name ours to file with the state, so we went with Sandlot Academy. Our last name is Arenas, and arena is Spanish for sand, so it just fit. I love hearing everyone's names!

jennysmi
02-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Illinois HS are actually considered private schools, so I had to come up with a name. I had always loved that poem "Invictus" so I named it Invictus Academy. Motto "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul" from the poem. It resonates in me :-)