PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll: True Confessions

Topsy
12-15-2010, 02:00 PM
It's the end of the year. Heck. It's the end of a DECADE! What better time is there to clear the air, shrug off that guilt, and start fresh than by a good ole' game of "True Confessions??"

I'll go if you will.

Which of the following will you admit to having done in the last year??

And, of course, feel free to confess OTHER, less heinous grievances in the comments below. ;)

allisonsracquet
12-15-2010, 02:22 PM
I only chose "the boarding school option" because the bags of herbs have been long gone. If there had been any, I can assure you, that would have helped alleviate the "boarding school" threat. And of course, I am not at all proud I threatened boarding school (in fairness, that was before I started homeschooling...and I haven't thought about it since).

StartingOver
12-15-2010, 02:56 PM
LMAOOOOOOOOO Guilty of all of it, but not all this year. Since all I have is the little ones.

( By "herbs" I assume you mean oregano LOL )

outskirtsofbs
12-15-2010, 03:06 PM
I checked the boarding school option, but in our case its PS, when DD doesn't want to do what she's suppose to do at all I tell her, hey you've got to pay attention, etc because she does have a "Supporting Teacher" through the HSAP and this usually gets her attention because she knows she doesn't want to go back to public school. So I'm guilty of that. And the "bag of herbs" has been gone from here quite awhile now, but at this point ( I just found out that I do have to have gall bladder surgery within the next month) my back hurts so bad, if I DID find one of those, my next step would either be papers or pop can. Immediately.

Kell
12-15-2010, 04:37 PM
The public elementary school is literally across the street from us. I have threatened LG to just pack his pencil box and haul his bottom over there when he was resisting school to a particularly unnerving degree. Let me tell you, it worked! He has no experience with ps, but he's pretty sure he does not want to go there, since there's no playing trains or taking a break from math to build a Lego castle there.

I have had confrontations of sorts with family members who are teachers, too. I have not gone so far as to talk badly about ps to them, but we have definitely disagreed as to whether or not parents are capable of teaching their own children. I get a lot of pushing from family and friends for where we live. Apparently, people equate good test scores with good schooling, and cannot figure out why we would choose not to partake in such a thing.

Stella M
12-15-2010, 07:17 PM
I've been known to threaten to send the kids to school. It's actually a really bad thing to do - what if they ever have to go to school for some reason or other ? They'll think it's a punishment. So I'm really trying not to do that anymore.

Lately I've been leaning towards the angry post option :)

My girls have a great come back to nosy people who say to them "No school today ?" They just smile really sweetly and say "Nooo" holding the smile and the person's gaze for a bit. Then silence. People usually get the 'none of your business' message.

Hampchick
12-15-2010, 08:11 PM
I must not have been homeschooling long enough yet because I can't say that I've done any of those things. We've only been at it since Sept. though so I'm sure it will happen. :) I guess the best I've got is when DS is complaining about having to start his work and I remind him that if he were in school he would have been out of the house over an hour ago.

jennykay
12-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I've just started homeschooling but I'm already ready to strangle the neighbor who wonders why my dd is not in the fantastic local public school and that it must be nice to "be on an extended vacation by homeschooling". LOL, I wish :) It does make be want to move off the grid or something (not really but darn is it annoying)

Mrs. Weasley's Wand
12-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Substitute herbs for other liquids and you've got me.

Most folks are far more disturbed by the fact that my kids don't eat meat than the fact that they go to school at the kitchen table. I should probably store up a list of snappy returns for the future.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-15-2010, 08:56 PM
I must not have been homeschooling long enough yet because I can't say that I've done any of those things. We've only been at it since Sept. though so I'm sure it will happen. :)

Me, neither. Though I did tell my husband one day (very sarcastically) that I was going to buy myself a big bottle of single malt liquor when he asked why I needed some cash from his wallet. It was just that kind of morning and I didn't take kindly to being interrogated on top of it all.

Forgive me Topsy, for I have sinned...

Dutchbabiesx2
12-15-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm all stored up on PS anger, I still have a couple of items I need to pick up and I hate the idea of even stepping inside! I have a couple of friends who are teachers/subs and I bitch all the time about PS, and now I brag about how wonderful HS is for my kids . . . .

StartingOver
12-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Ugh Forbidden, posting to view.

Topsy
12-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Ugh Forbidden, posting to view.

SO sorry...broke my own "No Ellipsis" rule!! Musta been the herbs... ;)

StartingOver
12-16-2010, 11:32 AM
SO sorry...broke my own "No Ellipsis" rule!! Musta been the herbs... ;)

Musta been ! :D

Firefly_Mom
12-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Substitute herbs for other liquids and you've got me.

Oh, yeah! Fire up the blender and grab the tequila!

And forget sending the kid away - *I* want to be sent away! Preferably to Hawaii. :D

dbmamaz
12-16-2010, 03:35 PM
forget sending the kid away - *I* want to be sent away!

That. Havent done any of the above. Have done more of 'too much websurfing while trying to pretend my kids will homeschool themselves' and then of course hating myself for it. I dont really feel like putting my kids in school is a feasible option, but i'm not feeling so sure abou this atm

wild_destiny
12-16-2010, 11:08 PM
That. Havent done any of the above. Have done more of 'too much websurfing while trying to pretend my kids will homeschool themselves' and then of course hating myself for it. I dont really feel like putting my kids in school is a feasible option, but i'm not feeling so sure abou this atm

I'm going to have to confess to Cara's sin for this semester. And, of course, I'd LOVE to be sent away to Hawaii (or any place with decent weather--not too hot or cold).

Topsy, perhaps you should lay off the oregano! ;)

dbmamaz
12-17-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm going to have to confess to Cara's sin for this semester.
OMG deanna I think i love you!

(btw, my daughter was born in a hospital in Mt Home . . . I was living in MO at the time)

Tammera
12-19-2010, 11:48 AM
LMAO and giggling hysterically! ;) Guilty here of talking smack about the public school in front of teachers and used family trips towards our homeschooling "requirements". After all.....we *did* homeschool during our trips! :D

I have several friends who are teachers in public schools and they hear my ranting, along with how well things are going in homeschooling, quite often. In all fairness to them, however, I actually have always had their full support to homeschool. To digress slightly...I started homeschooling due to the lack of teaching ability held by the special education staff, the inability of which was obvious to my group of teacher friends. :cool:
My unladylike (chuckle) rants are usually directed specifically towards the special education system in our state....and district.

Wilma
12-20-2010, 07:46 PM
I CONFESS! I CONFESS! I am a stress smoker. I chose the "herb" option, although my herb of choice when it comes to stress comes in a box and says "Marlboro Ultra Light 100." But after 2 or 3 I am turning green so I toss them, or save them if I know if I am going to have a stressful week. But not too much or people at home start sniffing me. And a glass of red or a shot of brandy is also helpful. I even broke down and bought brandy snifters because drinking brandy out of a Tupperware cup with a lid just doesn't seem right, KWIM?

mommykicksbutt
12-21-2010, 12:36 PM
too funny! I've contemplated them all but actually only talked smack to the local teachers (and an administrator), even some of them agreed that homeschooling is a great option (they know the DoDSS well!) but they've got to protect their job security. Last year I threatened my son with military school, he hasn't gotten his toes out of line too far this year to threaten it again (yet - the year isn't over).

leav97
12-22-2010, 09:46 AM
I've talked about PS with my BIL who teaches K. But, very very gently. Not looking to burn any bridges.

I've used making her work as many hours as the school kids do as a threat. And I've explained if we can't do work at home she'll have to go to school. But, I've never threatened her with boarding school.