View Full Version : Weekly Poll: How long will your Winter Break be (if any) & what will you do with it?

12-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Ahhhh....winter break. Just the WORDS bring a smile to my face. :o This year, our break will probably fall pretty closely in line with the public school vacation period, but in the past we've been known to take just a few days off some years and the whole month of December in others!

Our plans will stay ultra simple this year as I'm still in recovery mode from surgery last month, so we will just be having simple family gatherings and celebrating our normal family traditions.

What about you? Check off your planned winter break schedule, and then share some of your plans in the comments! :D

12-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Our last day is Friday, Dec. 17th and we will resume classes on Monday, Jan. 3rd.

12-09-2010, 12:30 AM
We tend to follow what the public schools do since we have one son still in pre-K there. Just makes it easier to coordinate schedules and make things seem fair. Once we have them both home (probably next school year), things might be different, we'll see. I tend to want to make a schedule beforehand and stick with it, though.

Stella M
12-09-2010, 02:04 AM
I picked other, because we'll be having a summer break :)

We take off about 6/7 weeks, so we can catch up with ps friends and family who take holidays then. However, my 6yr old will still be doing shared reading with me most days. And my 13yr old only likes a 2 week break from her studies, so she'll be on 'school-lite' for a month, to keep her hand in.

12-09-2010, 07:02 AM
I chose a week or more although technically we too are on summer break! We will have 3-4 weeks depending on how long dh has off work. However my 9 year old beds to finish up his math from this year and will keep doing spelling over the break and my 6 year old will finish her math and continue with her phonics......it's much easier to transition back if we haven't completely slacked off lol!

12-09-2010, 11:17 AM
LOL to Mark, I DONT make schedules much! My husband, tho, has extended days off this time, from 12/17 to 12/29. And then there is only one day until new years eve. I might do a light schedule over break (becuase honestly, the boys behave better when I do the minimal school schedule and it only takes an hour), but I REALLY need to focus on getting our history curriculum together. I took it easy by mostly using videos about cosmology and evolution, and now i'm really balking at getting in to 'real' history. I need to sit down and make a plan. I have all the materials I think i need . . . .sigh. Oh, and I must bake pies! cuz I love pies!

we dont do family holidays - i grew up jewish and the in-laws are in canada. although dh's youngest sister's husband asked if they could come down for xmas some year - he got so sick of the families bickering over who spends what meal with whom, he started spending xmas on the road for some peace.

12-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Still a new homeschooler, so my tendency is to want to stick to a strict schedule but in reality we've been relaxing our days lately. We still cover math, language arts, social studies and everything else required by MO, but we've also been playing more games and hitting the library and just hanging out and talking.

12-09-2010, 01:07 PM
we will be doing our first trip while HS, fortunately it will include travel by train (lots to learn about for that!) ending in San Fran area and it is packed full of places to visit! so, we will take a few days to catch up with PS friends. This summer will be our first HS summer (late spring), last year we went to Eastern Europe (with NL always included) this year we will start in Frankfurt Germany . . so many options!!!!
Any suggestions? my boys are 7 and 8 and AWESOME travelers!

12-09-2010, 01:29 PM
I was planning on not taking a winter break yet because I am 35 weeks pregnant and wanted to save our break for when the new baby arrives. I'm feeling burnt out and like I need a break, though, so we've been taking days off here and there. We will probably just do light work through the holidays so we don't throw our schedule too off. Plus, doing light work keeps them from running wild through the house and driving me up the wall during this cold weather. ;)

12-09-2010, 02:25 PM
I scheduled very light (for the state's purposes) in December because it's always crazy. We have school on Mondays and Thursdays definitely and then it's "practical life" with cleaning, laundry and baking when the other activities aren't in the way. :)

12-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Normally, we do a 2 week break for Christmas. We have up to 7 Christmas celebrations that we need to fit in each year. That tends to be exhausting and we need a few days to recover before returning to our schedule. Plus, Jay's b-day is right before Christmas, so our break always starts on or right before his b-day.(we don't do school on our b-days) Usually, the days of our break that we aren't at a celebration, we spend hanging out at home relaxing, or cleaning the many dishes used to make the multiple types of breads, desserts, appetizers, etc that we made to take to the various celebrations.

However, this year is different. We're in a 6 month break from formal schooling right now. So, I'm not completely sure what the rest of the month will look like. I'm sure most days will be similar to the way things have been lately - we watch some educational TV, the kids spend some time on the computer (educational time & free time), the kids read at least an hour a day (usually 2 or 3 hours), they do some schoolwork (of their choosing & on their own schedules), they play outside, they do their chores, we watch some non-educational TV, we play games, we cook, etc. Of course, the days hubby is off work and the days of the celebrations will be exceptions. We have less celebrations this year than usual. One was delayed & hasn't been rescheduled yet, and another one has been canceled because they are taking a vacation instead this year. This year, we also decided to celebrate Advent. We both hate the commercialization of the holiday. So, we have planned many activities throughout the season to help offset the commercialization and promote the true spirit of the holiday season. The activities include watching movies & reading stories as a family; donating to the homeless shelter, the food pantry, and Toys for Tots; going to see the light display our city always does; and other fun stuff to do as a family (amazingly, hubby is fine with the fact that most, if not all, of the planned Advent activities are completely secular).
A lot of my time lately has been spent planning. I'm planning next school year, designing & creating some of next year's courses, planning some family stuff, etc. I found something that I think will make our homeschooling much easier & will be a benefit to the kids. So, I'm working on incorporating it into our schooling. Plus, I might be homeschooling my neice for a few classes, so I'm doing some planning for that.

12-09-2010, 04:54 PM
We just take the days as we need them. My kids get bored if we don't "have school" too many days in a row, especially in the winter as we're pretty much stuck inside most of the time. We'll probably end up schooling about half the time.

12-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Just a week or so for us. I am feeling a little burnt out and it's been noticeable in us not packing a lot of school into our days the past few weeks (then this weird internal panic starts to set in when we aren't doing much - that's something I wrestle with and need to get over). We've basically been doing math lessons each day, some reading out loud and some documentary watching about history, and some game playing (geography, history and science). I'm kind of inclined to continue on this bent and school year round, taking breaks as we need them. Just do less each day.

No traditional plans for the holidays - the consumerism kind of rubs me the wrong way (all these people buying junkie trinkets made in China to put in their stockings - GAH!), but we'll probably have a nice meal together and open some gifts, play some games. It's just the three of us; we're not traveling to see family this time. I LOVE quiet Christmases.......

But something kind of exciting is brewing - just before Christmas we'll be bringing home two baby goats to add to our zoo. They are Nigerian Dwarf goats, little males about a month old right now, so they are still bottle feeding. Boy, are they cute! We already have chickens and rabbits, dogs and cats, etc. Building a pen for them this weekend and looking forward to a fun break getting to know them and working to train them a little so they get used to the routine around here.

12-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Just a week and a couple of days for us since we took 10 days in November off and will take an other 10 days off in Feb.

12-10-2010, 04:14 PM
We just took a two week break. I'm guessing we'll take about 1.5 weeks of for X-Mas.

12-11-2010, 06:17 PM
We are taking two weeks off prior to x-mas. During this time multiplication tables will still be done! Don't want to lose any ground. lol We spend time baking, making homemade gifts for neighbors and family, reading x-mas stories, and volunteering at a few favorite places. Learning is still going on, just not in any books!

Mother of David, Tiffany, Daniel, Terry (16) & Lil' Martha (8)

12-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Just a few days here. It will be a slightly lighter schedule than usual, as the kid's Latin class doesn't meet again until January and his Art of Problem Solving class takes a bit of a break, but the Mom Scheduled classes will go on pretty much as usual. He knows all his assignments at the beginning of the week, so he can determine for himself whether he wants to be finishing his linguistics homework on Christmas. I love homeschooling high school!

12-12-2010, 12:26 AM
What about you? Check off your planned winter break schedule, and then share some of your plans in the comments! :D

Our school year is from Jan-November; we wrapped up the first week in Dec. We're off till Jan 3, which is when we'll start our new school year. Both LBB and Loverly Husband's birthdays are in Dec, plus the winder holidays - we just planned it that way so school wouldn't conflict.

12-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I chose other, I haven't really thought about winter break at all. We just got back from vacation so I'm going to try to get us back into our structured lessons and hold on to those for awhile, since I feel behind. We'll definitely take some time off for Christmas and after Christmas, just not exactly sure when or for how long.

Miguels mommy
12-13-2010, 04:37 AM
We need to kick our butts into high gear because we are at the end of learning RX. So we'll be trying to get 6 hours in a day except the 25th. DH is working and we'll be in CNY so I have no idea whether is realistic but we'll be trying.

Mrs. Weasley's Wand
12-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Our activities peter out the week before and don't resume until the week after New Year's, so although I won't prep for school for us from the 24th until Jan 3rd, the "vacation" feeling will be spread out a little longer. I'm actually pushing a little harder on some of our academics before then because we are almost finished with a math book and nearly at a halfway point with another book. We're going to be adding to the amount of work we do each day in January so the Holiday break is my test run to see how a break longer than Thanksgiving affects things before I start tweaking our day too much.

12-14-2010, 09:28 AM
We're taking all of December off. We just got back from almost 2 weeks visiting family on the west coast and in the midwest, and I figure it will take a week or more to fully process and recuperate. By then the solstice and Christmas are upon us, and then my DH is taking the week between Christmas and New Year's off (unscheduled, but required this year). Some of my time will be spent planning out next term and getting ready--creating history worksheets, reviewing our new science curriculum, ordering books from the library, etc.

The holidays are quiet for us and it will be very low key. I felt like school work in November was lighter than usual for us due to finishing up various programs ahead of "schedule", so I'm eager to get going on our next term. We won't be totally slacking in our time off, but I think our energies will be diverted from doing much table work.

12-14-2010, 09:38 AM
My plan was a week. I usually take off when the kids school friends are off. Unless we are traveling and then I take off when I please. This year, however, it appears that most of December will be lacking curriculum lessons. Making Holiday presents for my dh's clients is taking a air amount of time. We are planning a Bar Mitzvah and now that it is a few months away all these little things have cropped up. Things like-Oh, I really need to get a dress, we need to order the invitations, we need to start thinking about "insert activity here".

I constantly remind myself-they may not be learning what I want them to learn but they are learning.

12-14-2010, 10:00 AM
We're taking two weeks off so he'll be off while the school kids are plus a few days. This will be our long first break since we started homeschooling and I'm actually really nervous about dropping the routine!

I have plans to do more relaxed activities with the boys. Games, crafts, baking, reading, field trips, and hopefully some sledding. When I told my son we'd be taking a break he begged me to keep doing math with him (but not spelling. Imagine that!) LOL. So I guess math too.

12-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I voted "a week or more". in reality it'll be a good month, as we have already pretty much stopped doing any formal schooling. the kids were just resisting, and I figured it was silly to force us back into a routine, just to stop for xmas (we're going to my parents', so the kids will be "off" for a full 2wks away from home and routine). We'll buckle down starting the 2nd week of January :D