PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Prime Day

alexsmom
07-12-2016, 01:00 PM
I noted they had a laptop for $138... and Fire things and Kindles and more all with substantial savings.

It may be a good time to buy if one has been considering such luxuries. :p

Oh, and if you buy a $50 gift card, you get $10 credited to your acct.

dbsam
07-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Oh, and if you buy a $50 gift card, you get $10 credited to your acct.

I just read about this on HuffPost and wanted to share on this site but you beat me to it:)
I have the free 30 day Prime trial but was still able to get the $10 credit by using this code GCPRIME16 when buying a $50 gift card.

Carmaline
07-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Hey guys. There was a Scotch laminator for $19.99. Add it to your cart for $29.99 and then it takes $10.00 off at checkout.

Mariam
07-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Amazon has an Audible offer with 3 free months, 3 free books and a $10 credit on your Amazon account for signing up. You can cancel at the end of three months.

TFZ
07-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Gah! Gc code expired before I got to it!

Free Thinker
07-12-2016, 10:55 PM
Just now sat down to see if there are any deals- wish I had got the GC one! I did just order a Kindle...a nd thinking about the Instant Pot!

alexsmom
07-12-2016, 11:50 PM
Ive been looking at that Instant Pot Pressure Cooker+ all day too!!!

Mariam
07-13-2016, 12:25 AM
Commentary on Prime day

Amazon Prime Day deals are here, cheap and confusing (http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2016/07/12/amazon_prime_day_deals_are_here_cheap_and_confusin g.html)

aselvarial
07-13-2016, 01:25 AM
We got Tech a "starter drone" for his b-day. G-mom is getting G-pa a drone for Christmas (mere weeks after Tech's bday) and I know he'll want one so we are just beating the rush. $25 was a pretty awesome price for it. Now I just have to get multiple batteries for it.

Katrah
07-13-2016, 08:03 AM
I snagged up a couple deals yesterday, just kids stuff and family board games. Pain in the butt though! I was 4 minutes after the sale started for one of the expensive Melissa & Doug puzzles I've been drooling over and never got it. I had no idea it was so fierce!!! Would have set an alarm if I had realized.

CrazyGooseLady
07-13-2016, 07:44 PM
Let me tell you about our kindle fire...My son won it as a prize in a competition.

So...yesterday...it was taking about 5 minutes for a single page to load. I called our somewhat crappy internet provider and asked if maintenance or something was going on. Nope. But, when he looked at our account...it was maxed out. I went through the house, turning off devices one a time. 4 laptops, a tablet, my phone that uses internet at home....didn't make a difference. Then, I remembered the kindle and had my son turn it completely off. And bingo! We went from maxed out to nothing.

So, it looks like this may be a thing, and we might have to get better internet. I am already paying $55 a month, next higher is $70. The guy suggested their highest, because it was "only a little bit more", but that amount is $100 a month, more than just a "little bit more!" So much for our "free" device!

CrazyGooseLady
07-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Our somewhat crappy internet provider is the ONLY one in the area that can reach us....even with the pole way out in the field.

Katrah
07-14-2016, 08:04 AM
Let me tell you about our kindle fire...My son won it as a prize in a competition.

So...yesterday...it was taking about 5 minutes for a single page to load. I called our somewhat crappy internet provider and asked if maintenance or something was going on. Nope. But, when he looked at our account...it was maxed out. I went through the house, turning off devices one a time. 4 laptops, a tablet, my phone that uses internet at home....didn't make a difference. Then, I remembered the kindle and had my son turn it completely off. And bingo! We went from maxed out to nothing.

So, it looks like this may be a thing, and we might have to get better internet. I am already paying $55 a month, next higher is $70. The guy suggested their highest, because it was "only a little bit more", but that amount is $100 a month, more than just a "little bit more!" So much for our "free" device!

I would definitely do some research into this. We have one new Kindle Fire in the house, an old Fire, cell phones, smart DVD player, Roku, printer and 3 PC's. So LOTS of things connected to our router. The only time our internet is slow or not working is when one of us is downloading something. I've never had it be any of our devices that "clogs" the internet like that - but my guess would be that in your case the Fire was downloading something. I would also go through all the apps on the device and delete anything that isn't wanted just to make sure there isn't some app on there doing it. You could even try a factory reset if that doesn't work (keep in mind you'll lose everything if you do so).

If you're concerned about the speed of your current service try taking a speed test. Make sure you have nothing else running at the time (you shouldn't need to turn devices off, just make sure no one is downloading large files when you do it). Here's a link to do that: What's My Speed (http://www.testmyspeed.com/) You could also play around with turning devices off and retesting to spot problem areas though. But this will give you some idea of where your internet service currently is at and if you truly need to purchase something faster. If you're paying $55 a month I would guess your speed is decent (although my mom has horrible speed paying about the same... so who knows).

I'll give you some examples of speed. I just now tested our connection from the site I linked and we were at 19.87 mb/s down and .92 mb/s up (I did have one device playing YouTube videos for the kids at the time). This isn't bad... certainly not the fastest ever, but even with all our devices we are more than satisfied and have no issues. On the other hand, if you're testing at 1 or 2 mb/s download speed - I'd look for a different ISP. Paying that much for that little speed is robbery... lol (We pay $50 a month to put that into perspective.) Also, don't be afraid to go with DSL, for some reason people seem to generally think cable is better but that's simply not always true. DSL has it's advantages (dedicated line that's not shared with your neighbor across the street who's downloading illegal stuff 24/7 that makes YOUR speed slower - in example). Our service is DSL and we love it!

Paying for more speed could get expensive when the issue might not be that at all. I know a bit about computers so if you'd like to PM me with questions, I'd be glad to help.

aselvarial
07-15-2016, 07:18 PM
CrazyGooselady, that doesn't sound right. We have 2 desktops, 2 smartphones, a kindle, a tablet, 2 streaming devices, all of which are frequently on simultaneously, and our internet is fine. HOWEVER, ours did crap out on us for a few weeks. We replaced our 3 year old Netgear 300 router with a 600, and boom, problems fixed. Before dropping more money monthly on more speed, I'd change out your router first. The netgear 600 was around $60 at Best buy.

Also, have the cable company do a ping on your system. We were told by the first guy once that nothing was wrong, only to be told by the second person that they were getting no ping back from our system. Cable guy came over, was here less than 10 minutes and fixed it. But, it took 3 calls to the cable company, and a change of routers (this was 3 years ago) AND a change of our modem to convince them it wasn't on our end that it was messed up. Of course, our desktop isn't connected to our modem directly so they automatically blamed the router. Also, on most devices you can turn off the wi-fi. If you turn off the kindle wi-fi and suddenly everything speeds up, your kindle is probably doing something it shouldn't. (or you are overloading your router)