PDA

View Full Version : On-the-road homeschooling - how crazy is this?

Searcher_2010
10-10-2010, 01:23 PM
We are relocating from California (too, too expensive) but since I am not sure where we will land, I am contemplating live 3-6 months in various locations and seeing what the area/people/homeschooling environment is like. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?

Current thought is mid-Atlantic area for Feb-May, Wyoming or Washington state for the summer, maybe Austin for the fall 2011 - and then perhaps somewhere in the southwest for winter. All of this is very loose and apt to change if we find somewhere we are comfortable living (and that is affordable). I telecommute so all I need is a good ISP and a place for my dog and son to run around outside.

Is there anywhere you would Not recommend homeschooling? Feel free to email me offline (I think that is possible with this site) if you don't want to post to the group (and possible hurt someone's feelings).

Thanks for your help!

Esther

dbmamaz
10-10-2010, 01:41 PM
You can look at all the state laws on line - i think HSLDA (which I generally never reccomend for anything) has a page comparing the states. Its not entirely accurate, but its a good start. I've heard that NY and PA are some of the harder laws, and Texas is totally hands off - no reporting after you say you are homeschooling. I think one of the desert states you dont even have to register. The other thing, of course, is what kind of socail environment you are looking for. The rules here in VA are reasonable, but in central VA where I am, there are a LOT of religious homeschooler. NOVA is more liberal, but also more expensive.

It would be fun if you kept us informed of your travels! I assume, tho, that legally you would have to have a permanent address somewhere, and be homeschooling under that state's laws, so that you dont get picked up for truancy when you are out and about?

Searcher_2010
10-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Good point - that is something I should look at - I would probably consider us Texas residents since it is so easy to hs there.

Pefa
10-10-2010, 02:31 PM
That sounds like so much fun!

Good idea to check into permanent residency requirements (will you be keeping your CA address?) for hs'er but unless there are custody issues where lack of formal registration could be used against you might not need to worry about it. I know RV'ers can register to vote anywhere they park their rig as long as it's a month or so before the election.

Searcher_2010
10-10-2010, 05:24 PM
That sounds like so much fun!

Good idea to check into permanent residency requirements (will you be keeping your CA address?) for hs'er but unless there are custody issues where lack of formal registration could be used against you might not need to worry about it. I know RV'ers can register to vote anywhere they park their rig as long as it's a month or so before the election.

That's funny you mention RV'ers - we have traveled before with a trailer so I was checking information on the full-timers who are on the move year-round. Most of them establish residency in S. Dakota and then have their mail forwarded to their local RV park.

mommykicksbutt
10-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Here is an article you might be interested in then...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39328391/ns/today-parenting/

farrarwilliams
10-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't think it's crazy at all. A lot of people school on the road. I don't know what your style is, but I would think you wouldn't try to get a really set schedule. Instead, you would get to read lots of books and take advantage of whatever opportunities arose. You might also look into things like museums with reciprocal memberships to make the most of your time in each place. If your kids are young, then Children's Museum membership become reciprocal if you pay an extra $25 for them (this is pretty standard everywhere, it seems). Also, most science center memberships are automatically reciprocal.

MamaB2C
10-11-2010, 01:15 PM
I would think you would need to establish residency somewhere, to avoid legal problems elsewhere. Residency laws are as varied as homeschooling laws! One way is to decide where you will get your mail, vote, pay state income taxes, and have your driver's license. You might even consider buying a small place as your "home base" to add property taxes and utilities, sealing your permanent residency status, then renting it out as you travel around.

If you want that to be a homeschool friendly state, then TX, OK, and ID are pretty completely hands off.

MO seems to have a specific anti-travel clause, requiring 600 hours in the "regular homeschool location"

How full time RVers do it is probably a good thing to look into as there will be some parallels. I found this http://www.fulltime-rving.com/domicile.html

Choosing your state of legal residence is a vitally important decision in defining your legal status. Your state of legal residence will determine the law for the purpose certain legal questions; such as the law of inheritance upon death and the interpretation of a will.

It will also affect matrimonial law governing the property of a married couple wherever that property is located. Your choice will determine your state & federal income taxes, state sales tax, voting regulations vehicle licensing, registration and insurance rates, pensions, annuities, dividends, interest, capital gains, and how partnership income will be taxed, the cost and availability of medical insurance and even fishing licenses.

Determining your legal residence will depend on your individual situation. Many full-timers pick a no-state-income tax state: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

And the HSLDA.com site is good for the basic state legal info, and they have specific legal citations so you can view the actual law to see if you feel their interpretation is on the mark

InstinctiveMom
10-11-2010, 09:43 PM
What a cool idea! I'd love to hear more about your travels :)
~h

Searcher_2010
10-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the good thoughts and the information!

I have not checked this thread for a couple days (busily researching travel trailers) but our current plan is to travel through the Southwest and spend a couple months near Austin, Tx. and then in June drive up to New England - studying early American history as we go. Sept. is for learning about the Civil War in the South - and then there is a great storytelling festival in Tenn. in early October. This is as far ahead as I can plan right now - who knows what wonderful things will happen between now and next Autumn!

Searcher_2010
10-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Here is an article you might be interested in then...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39328391/ns/today-parenting/

Great article - thanks!

Searcher_2010
10-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Thanks, Rick! We are members of AAH but I did not know about the soccer games - sounds great and I am sure Patrick will enjoy it. Perhaps we will see you and your family there? Best of luck on your backpacking - it must be fun.

juneautumn3
10-31-2010, 03:15 AM
Hello Esther
I am new to this site - my first post. :) Your thread caught my attention because my husband and I have been planning on hitting the road with our boys for a couple of years now. Check out the families on the road website, you will be addicted and you will find the answers to all your questions. If it isn't written down on the website there is a forum. One of these days we will be roadschooling also. Keep us updated on all your adventures. :)

Searcher_2010
10-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Hello Esther
I am new to this site - my first post. :) Your thread caught my attention because my husband and I have been planning on hitting the road with our boys for a couple of years now. Check out the families on the road website, you will be addicted and you will find the answers to all your questions. If it isn't written down on the website there is a forum. One of these days we will be roadschooling also. Keep us updated on all your adventures. :)

Thanks - I will definitely do that! Right now I am debating how many books (my son goes through about 7-9 library books a week) we should carry - do I buy them used and donate them to local libraries as we travel? Or should I let him read electronic books? Let me check the families on the road website and see what they say. Good Luck with your plans!