View Full Version : Weekly Poll: How did you come up with a name for your homeschool?

09-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Our homeschool name is "Ergon Academy". I'm told that Ergon basically means "Love Through Service" in Greek. If it doesn't, please don't spoil it for me, cause we've had the name for eleven years now and it has kind of stuck. ;) Our state requires that your homeschool have an official name, and when I was trying to come up with one, I just tried to focus on the overriding philosophy I wanted for our homeschool.

This is only one of a million ways to come up with a name for your homeschool, if you even have one. I know we already have a thread about homeschool names, but I thought it might be fun to do some "statistical analysis" on it as well! :)

09-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Ours is named after the street on which we live, and because I like the sound of it-Grandview Home Learning Academy. But it's open for review, if the kids want to change it.

09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
We, sonny and I, originally wanted St. Lucifer's Academy (sonny and I are freethinkers) but dad (a devout catholic) nixed that idea. I wanted something that was honoring secular reasoning and nothing related to gawd or jebus (or anything divine). In the final three was Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, and good ole' Ben. Hubby nix Paine knowing he was an atheist, said no to Jefferson (his medical was Jefferson and daughter's law school choice is Jefferson) because it sounds like a repeat, BF was a good fit also because hubby is from Phillie. So it's to be Benjamin Franklin something.... Here we bounced lots of ideas, school, academy, house, hall, garden, center, learning, arts, preparatory, tutorial, homeschool, ugh! We finally settled on Benjamin Franklin Preparatory Academy or Ben Prep for short (but sonny and I still joke that we are St. Lucifer's :D ). We even have an offical website! http://benprep.webs.com/

09-22-2010, 10:51 AM
We named our school because we figured it would be fun. No real reason, we didn't have to, just figured it would be fun.
One day, we were reading the Dictionary of Superstitions and that was when the kids decided on Valeria Iona. We tossed Academy at the end (it was almost Preparatory Academy, but we didn't like the sound of that, so dropped Preparatory) because Academy just seemed to fit. I think the name fits us quite us well & we intend to keep it throughout our homeschooling journey.

The kids picked our mascot while reading the Encyclopedia of Mythololgical Creatures.:D

We're slightly strange, what can I say?

09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
We don't have a name. If we ever had to we'd probably just use our last name, but otherwise I would never think of it. I had no idea that people named their homeschools! Out of curiosity, what purpose does it serve?

09-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Ours is "Thomas Jefferson Homeschool Academy" since our principal (AKA hubby) is a huge TJ fan. But we don't follow a TJ education philosophy. I usually only use the name when filling out orders and such.

09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
We don't have a name. If we ever had to we'd probably just use our last name, but otherwise I would never think of it. I had no idea that people named their homeschools! Out of curiosity, what purpose does it serve?

I didn't mean "why be creative", but I meant to ask about why certain states might require one. Sorry if it sounded rude!

09-22-2010, 02:16 PM
First, you were not in the least rude, Hockeymom, so relax. :) You had a good question! Beyond the states where names are mandatory, a lot of us just name our homeschool because it is fun to do so, or so we will look more official when filling out forms, etc.
We call our school the Dragonfly School, named after the Japanese martial arts family that adopted my significant other when he was younger. Their family symbol is the dragonfly, so we have taken that as well for our non-martial school. It was that or The Supercilious Retards. (Not really! :))

09-22-2010, 02:39 PM
I was going to say "incorporated our names" which is true, but might not have been clear. We translated our last name into English, and named our school High Bridge Academy.

In CA, independent homeschoolers are considered private schools, and we are required to name them. It's probably the hardest part about CA homeschool paperwork. :)

09-22-2010, 02:49 PM
We named ours Firefly Academy (after Joss Whedon's brilliant TV show. Yes, we're geeks). We only use it on our student/teacher ID cards (through homeschool buyers co-op) and on the various forms for educational freebies and such that require a school name.

09-22-2010, 06:09 PM
We named ours Firefly Academy (after Joss Whedon's brilliant TV show. Yes, we're geeks).

We recently finished watching Firefly & Serenity & LOVED them! My husband is playing the new Halo & was excited to hear Mal, Wash & Jayne as voices.

Our name came about when my 4 year old was saying that she wanted to go to a "real" school with a "real" teacher. I said something about having a better time at Mommy's Awesome School of Fun and Learning, & it stuck. Sometimes shortened to MASoFaL.

We had a giggle the first couple of times a catalog came addressed to Mommy's Awesome School of Fun & Learning.

09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Ours is now Dogwood Academy, but started out as Dogwood Elementary. I came up with it originally because I needed a homeschool name for a form. Dogwood is actually the street my grandmother lived on, and I was really close to her. It started out as Elementary until Hubby suggested we change it to Academy.

09-22-2010, 10:53 PM
We recently finished watching Firefly & Serenity & LOVED them! My husband is playing the new Halo & was excited to hear Mal, Wash & Jayne as voices.

Oh, yes - anything with anybody from Firefly is popular in our house! My son even convinced me to go to the midnight release of the new Halo. :D

09-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Fourteen years of military gave me a new perspective on acronyms, so naturally I had to come up with one for our school. SMART - Students Mastering Academics and Remedial Training. Not very creative I know but I couldn't come up with anything better. And it sort of works out as we lovingly call our "classroom" (my office, where the girls also do their written and computer school work) the SMART room. When its time to do something HS I say "Lets head to the SMART room".

09-23-2010, 12:47 AM
I love hearing homeschool name stories!!
I said 'incorporated our name'. Our homeschool is T.H.E. Academy - 'T (last name) Home Education'. We like it :)
As for 'why'... I like for things to have a title or label. It helps me stay organized and makes it easier for me to compartmentalize areas of my life. All 'school' stuff is in THEAcademy folders and files. I also thought it sounded better than having to say 'We homeschool. They're homeschooled. He's homeschooled. No, we homeschool." 6,000 times. The boys can say, "We go to THE Academy" :)

09-23-2010, 09:25 AM
We named our for the place we decided to have a family.. Walnut Cove Overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Gotta share this one. While trying to come up with a name for our school I had the crazy idea of using LEACH Academy. "Lee Educational Achievement & Children's Homeschool Academy". Thank goodness it was only a fleeting thought at best, but it probably would have been rather funny one to explain to strangers. Just imagine the looks my girls would have gotten when they say "Yeah, I'm a Leach". Or worse yet, the mascot. Eewe.

09-28-2010, 03:08 PM
There has been some consternation about the name I have chosen for our school.

In Kentucky homeschoolers are encouraged to name their school.

I named our homeschool Nathan Bedford Forrest Academy.

I am from the south, originally from south, middle Tennessee. My great grandfather rode proudly with Nathan Bedford Forrest throughout the war of Yankee aggression. In a time when the Southern way of life is pretty much no more (now) ,and when every attempt to honor our heritage meets with fierce resistance and hatred, I will not be swayed. I will not be intimidated to surrender my legacy nor alter my history for any race or creed of people.

I take pride in the name of our school.

09-29-2010, 06:21 AM
We're the Panda Academy or ...sigh...technically Panda Academy-Panda Fleet. Panda is the name of my son's long departed hamster and Fleet comes from when we used to be active in Startfleet: the International Star Trek Fan Association. My son named us when he was 6 years old and we'd just started hsing.

As if you couldn't tell, we're also geeks. :-) I have a "Joss Wheadon is my master now" T-shirt, a tiny model of Serenity, Serenity movie poster & T-shirt (husband's 2nd job is managing a movie theatre,) Star Trek stuff all over the house, Farcape (let's all drool over Ben Browder/John Crichton now shall we?,) and of course, DVDs of Buffy, Angel, Serenity, Firefly, Alien Nation, Dark Angel, Highlander, Wonderfalls (fantasy-ish,) Pushing Daisies (ditto - love Brian Fuller's work,) Farscape, V, X-Files, Stargate, and a ton of others. Classic Literature/Science Fiction is one of our most important homeschool subjects. :-D

My husband and son are the video game junkies. I had no idea that Mal and others did voices on Halo. "The guys" have never played it. Hmmm....seems like they've got to start now. :-P

09-29-2010, 08:46 AM
We need a name. I can't figure one out. I want it to look legitimate on transcripts but I don't want it to sound too frivolous. I know someone who uses Fawkes Academy and I like that. But it's taken. I'm hopelessly uncreative. Or maybe just indecisive.

09-29-2010, 08:54 AM
How about the Crichton Academy in honor our beloved John Crichton. It sounds legit enough :D

09-29-2010, 01:02 PM
We will be calling ours "Blooming Rose Glory", which is a concatenation of nicknames/mutations of our daughters' names. I'm much more concerned about the motto, which my eldest and I will translate into Latin. :)

09-29-2010, 04:28 PM
We don't have a name. :p

09-30-2010, 08:45 AM
We live in NC and have to name our school. I believe it's to keep track of the school. It comes in handy when ordering things online or when signing up for free teacher stuff!!

We were sitting around our dinning table kicking around a few names. None that didnt sound cheesy came up. Since I wanted the name to look good on transcripts later, I was being picky! My dinning room is done in a Paris theme with old photos and signs and a couple of Eiffel tower statues. So, my 5 year old said we should call it the Paris school. We kicked some variations of this around and the Eiffel Academy was born :D

Sam I Am
09-30-2010, 01:15 PM
We joke that our school is such an exclusive academy that we only accepted 2 students last year. In Texas all parents are considered private schools, so we call it the Casey Academy. The name is generic but the joke isn't.

09-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Ours is Oak Hills Academy. Our neighborhood is called Oak Hills. I don't need it for any kind of official paperwork but I found it useful when ordering freebies. I am thinking about getting id cards from homeschool buyers co-op for retail discounts.

09-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Ours is Fairwood Academy. A mix of the kids last name and mine.. Academy just sounds all prestigious.

10-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Ours is so boring. Delaney Smith Academy. A concatenation of our last names, and academy seemed to befit a classical, literature based academic environment. ;)

10-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Hippie Chick Homeschool
My childcare is Hippie Chick Childcare so it was nice and easy to transfer the name to our homeschool as well!LOL
We are "Urban Hippies" plus it also is a play on our love of chickens.