PDA

View Full Version : Creative Writing Programs - another view

Stella M
09-14-2010, 03:01 AM
Hi all.
I know we often spend a lot of time discussing/buying/trying creative writing programs for our kids. I have a different view of it all, coming from my background as a writer, and I've just blogged about it. Rather than start a discussion here and get in the face of anyone with a different perspective, if you're interested, please feel free to visit my blog and leave me a comment :)

Shoe
09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Those are interesting points you make, Melissa. Thanks for sharing.

aggie
09-14-2010, 02:08 PM
I enjoyed reading your thoughts and agree whole-heartedly (is that spelled right?). All of my children are creative in different ways. Beyond reading and formal writing (grammar, paragraph structure, etc...), we have never had a formal writing program. We have tried but always went back to them expressing their creativity individually. This is one area where we have "unschooled" to some degree. I think you put into words how I feel about creative writing, very interesting

Lolov
09-14-2010, 02:27 PM
I agree... wonderful post!!
And, added bonus, the crafty crow website is FREAKING AWESOME!!!! :D

Stella M
09-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I love crafty crow too :) Only problem is, I like looking at it more than I like organising for us to do the crafts - bad mama!! Anyhow, just my 2c worth - I like being able to choose from a range of resources to help me homeschool but it gets to me when I feel like I'm being marketed to in an area where I feel there isn't a huge need. None of us have limitless amounts to spend on curricula and I'd hate for people who maybe don't come from a writing background to feel they absolutely need to spend money on a program in order to do the best for their kids. In the same way I'd love it if mathematicians told me what I don't need to help my kids become numerate or musicians helped me understand what's needed and what's not to become musically literate. It's just knowledge that helps me use my financial resources effectively.

Maxaroo
09-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I agree, Melissa. We don't need to purchase a curriculum specific to writing - there are lots of creative ways to engage a child with writing! For younger kids it's fun to let them dress up in their favorite costume or get up and let them act out a story of their making - while they are running around detailing the plot, you can type up the action on the computer and record it! For older kids you can grab a notebook, write an interesting opening line (something better than "it was a dark and stormy night"!) and leave it open next to their breakfast dish. Let them take the next line or paragraph and then follow up later with something juicy that you can add. Keep the story going! Great things happen when we think outside the box. Sometimes structured writing programs are a real drag; no wonder the child loses interest.

This year I'm shaking it up a bit and we're using the Connect the Thoughts Creative Writing program. It's good so far - the author can be quite funny and I like that. It's very different from last year where we were more free-form in our approach. Maybe there's a happy medium somewhere.

Good thoughts! Isn't homeschooling one of the best things you ever decided to do??

Vicki