PDA

View Full Version : Have you done a wall timeline?

Kylie
09-12-2010, 04:04 AM
I want to start a wall timeline of some description and whilst I can easily find young earth view timelines for free everywhere I haven't seen any that also include prehistory.

I was going to just do up my own, since really they are pretty simple. I am just unsure the best way to space out all of those 'millions of years' if you know what I mean!!!

If any of you know of a freebie I can print off or can direct me to photo's of ones you have done I would greatly appreciate it.

dbmamaz
09-12-2010, 10:30 AM
I found a few on line free and some you could buy. i actually did buy one, but the type is so small, I cant read it, and one had a different scale for each period of history, which i didnt want, either. so my plan is to make one for the time frame of the universe, with just dates, and we'll put up things on it, and then I have the evolution timeline from Charlie's Playhouse on the wall (that will be under the first one) and on the bottom, I'll have the history one, again just dates, and we'll print pictures of things we study and stick them up there.

Here's my favorite on-line timeline (i bought the book to go with it): http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/a.html

here's a website about timelines http://www.squidoo.com/homeschooltimelines and another http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TimelineHelps/

StartingOver
09-12-2010, 11:22 AM
I like to make my own. We have done wall, and notebook. I think this time we will do a card version. So that we can move them around easily. I haven't started a timeline this early before. So it will be trial and error, with little ones. Cara has some wonderful links up there.

BPier12
09-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Here's a link to a thread from earlier this year about timelines: http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/436-Timeline-black-line-map-suggestions?highlight=Timelines

hockeymom
09-12-2010, 09:23 PM
I wanted to do a wall timeline this year but realized we'd quickly run out of wall space. I hadn't thought about doing it in a notebook, but I love this idea! I just printed some pages from one of the sites Cara suggested and can't wait to get started! We begin ancient Rome next week and had been looking for an alternative to lapbooks--this is going to a be a perfect jumping off point. I can't wait to hear what others are doing!

dbmamaz
09-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Haha i actually spent today creating my timeline on excel for the cosmos. I think, tho, that it did a dumb thing. I need to redo it, because i just used the marks i already had and so the intervals make no sense. I should instead change my intervals (duh!)

InstinctiveMom
09-13-2010, 04:00 AM
We'll be starting our timeline in January. I want a wall timeline, but we really don't have space for it. The boys, I think, will comprehend it better when it is laid out in a line, but we need 'space', so here's the compromise I came up with.
I'm doing a wall time line for time frames, and a notebook for each time frame, with certain 'benchmarks' to show perspective. I'll take pics when we get it set up, but I think that's what we're going to do.

I'm also interested in perusing the links up there and we may adjust ours if I come across something better.
~h

dbmamaz
09-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Luckily, we have a nice long wall. I moved two desks out of our computer room earlier this summer, and rearranged everything else so I had a nice free wall. And then we got a dog who is used to being in a crate all the time and my husband decided to get the BIGGEST crate (he's really not THAT big a dog) and its in the middle of the timeline wall. Not sure how we'll get around that, but at least we can still SEE the whole timeline, even if both boys desks and chairs and the dog crate make it hard to get to the wall.

MamaB2C
09-14-2010, 02:07 AM
LOL, I have been mentally working on the same project. Right now, I am planning to just make my own, but it will be kinda on a relative scale, with the millions of years ago condensed and more recent history spread out a bit more.

Stella M
09-14-2010, 03:04 AM
Hi Kylie,
this blog www.melissawiley.com has a post and pictures today about making a timeline. Hth!

StartingOver
09-14-2010, 10:22 AM
One of the coolest I have seen for small living spaces, was index cards on a clothes line. And it can totally be reorganized too.

wild_destiny
09-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Index cards on clothesline does sound like a good idea for limited spaces. Also, it sounds versatile. You could add or remove things easily ( I would think).

StartingOver
09-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Index cards on clothesline does sound like a good idea for limited spaces. Also, it sounds versatile. You could add or remove things easily ( I would think).

Yeppers just move the clips down the row LOL. Great for younger children.

Kylie
09-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the thought ladies

allison
09-18-2010, 06:17 PM
This timeline looks like JUST what I had in mind...but 14''X48'' sounds sort of small and cramped. What is your experience of the timeline...I am planning on hanging it up on a wall. Is that possible...or is it only usable as a fold-out book?
Thanks!
Allison

dbmamaz
09-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah, 14X48 turns out to be way too cramped. I cant read it at all without my glasses. Thats why i'm making just the timeline part, with no events, on excel, to the scale of my wall (a nice sized wall), and then we'll add the events as we get to them. I think it will have more meaning that way anyways. I have the timeline i purchased on teh wall . . . but really, its easier to see the on-line version thats broken down by periods than to see the wall one. I was excited about the maps, but someone miraculously gave me a copy of http://www.amazon.com/Times-Complete-History-World-September/dp/B001HHS4GW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284857909&sr=1-1-spell which has tons of maps.