PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't anyone tell me...

ginnyjf
09-10-2010, 10:44 PM
...just how hard homeschooling would kick my butt?? We're wrapping up our second week and I'm exhausted. Every day we've been finishing at 1:30 or 2:00. Then Zack goes upstairs to play Roblox and I collapse on the couch and take an hour-long nap. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, but it feels like a 10-hour-a-day job. Well, minus the daily nap, that is. The payoff is, Zack has made enormous progress in math and actually told me the other day that math is fun now. *GLEE* He also loves Latin. Who'd have thought?

I attended a Mom's night out for a local Catholic homeschool group, and I just don't know about it. The members are ULTRA religious. When they started discussing a recipe for brown scapular brownies I nearly bolted from the restaurant. At the same time, they are very sweet and welcoming and a great resource. I think I'm meant to be a semi-hermit.

Wow, this is disjointed and I bet most of you don't even know me. Told you I was tired. ;)

Rebecca in Texas
09-10-2010, 10:55 PM
I was a little more tired the first week, but it hasn't really bothered me since then. We did decide that we would take advantage of getting to make our own schedule and sleep late if we felt like it.

Gmom
09-10-2010, 11:43 PM
LOL. This is funny because I was consider asking the community what diet people are following to keep up the energy during the day. I am exhausted!!!! This is our first week. We get up at 7:30, start at 9 and some days we don't finish until 4 or 5.

chelleah
09-11-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm at the other end of the spectrum, I go at my daughter's pace, mainly because we both have mild chronic fatigue, but I often worry that I am not doing enough or she is not learning enough, or that I am too easy going. I don't have anyone here to help guide me through this, so I often feel I am out at sea without a paddle. I just hope that she does manage to get her high school diploma and therefore she can decide what she wants to do then - continue to college or start her apprenticeship (hair stylist - is the current dream...) I struggled through school and my parents told me I had to do a trade so I could at least get a job, so they signed me up for a secretarial diploma. I am grateful to them as I have had some good jobs and opportunities over the years, but I never enjoyed it and still dunno what I wanna do. I don't want the same for her, I would like her to have a career that she loves or even her own business.

InstinctiveMom
09-11-2010, 02:14 AM
We started out with earlier and longer days. Now, we sleep in a little bit more (I get up at 8; kids have been sleeping till 9ish - we start school at 10 unless we have a field trip, in which case we get up earlier to do lessons before we go) and utilize more 'unschooling' flavor. This week, instead of working on our Constitution lapbook, we've been discussing American Folk Heroes and watching/reading stories about them. Paul Bunyan tied in unexpectedly today when we were at a museum with our hs group today checking out satellite images of the Grand Canyon. My point here is don't be surprised if you look back on this time with the realization that just because you planned all that stuff doesn't mean that it all HAS to get done right now :)

~h

Oh - and B6 and Vitamin D. :)

hockeymom
09-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Good advice Heather!

Berta
09-11-2010, 09:29 AM
You sound exactly how I sounded last year! I think I was putting too much pressure on myself and this year we are MUCH more relaxed. We dont start our school work until after lunch and I am finished with my younger daughter by 2pm. I am usually up around 7am and my kids roll out of bed around 8 or 8:30. They know by 9am we start our AM chores and run any errands that are needed.

I don't plan out our lessons anymore. My older daughter uses a computer program that sets up her daily classes for her. All I do is set it up once at the start of the year and thats it, the computer sets everything up for her.

With my younger daugher we try to get one lesson in per day of each subject. I have her calendar set up with what subjects I want to teach on each day, but not how much. Some days we go through 3 lessons in one subject, other days we only do half a lesson. This year I am more concerned with her fully understanding what I am teaching her rather then "Oh no, its Wednesday and we are still doing math from Monday!" (yes, I did panic like that last year).

dbmamaz
09-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I found myself exhausted by school pretty much every day also. I generally find a lot of life exhausting, tho, and just having to be that focused on my kids without a break is hard. My boys are so game-addicted that if i dont keep them busy, they start whining for games or getting antsy. But it is true that you also need to find a pace that you can keep up long term.