PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out and need some advice on homeschooling high school

Nixie
07-28-2014, 09:56 AM
I thought I had 3 years before I had to deal with this, but just realized a few days ago that my oldest should be a freshman in high school next year! AUUUGH! We are currently full time rv living family who travels all over following my husbands work. We are currently Indiana residents, but after Aug. 21st (yay!) we will be free to establish residency in any state of our choosing. Most rvers establish residency in either TX, FL, or SD. SD is off the table for us because of their homeschool testing laws. We would not be in the state enough to be able to have my kiddos take their tests. I understand that in FL if I register them under a private school, they do not have to take the state tests. TX homeschoolers are not required to take state tests at all. I am looking really hard at either FL or TX. My biggest concern is high school and being able to have a recognized diploma for my kids. I guess I just don't understand how that works anywhere, let alone these two specific states. I have two special needs children; one of which will not be going to college and one that might. I would really like to make sure that if my son chooses to go to college that option is open for him. Can anyone school me on how this all works; specifically for TX and FL?

Teri
07-28-2014, 11:18 AM
In Texas, you would be considered a private school. As such, you specify the credentials of your teachers, establish your own school calendar, determine your curriculum and you decide what your graduation requirements are. Most homeschoolers in Texas use Texas high school graduation requirements and/or college entry requirements to establish their own requirements.
You would issue your own diploma. Colleges are fine with this. You would also do your own transcripts and grades.
Between that and no state income tax, Texas would be a really good pick for an rv'er. Florida also does not have state income tax, but I think their homeschool laws are a little tighter.

ETA: With a special needs kid, Texas would be a good choice because you could tailor his graduation requirements to things that are important to you, like keeping a checkbook or washing his clothes or whatever you think he needs to work on to be independent, if that is a possibility.

farrarwilliams
07-28-2014, 11:28 AM
I would clearly choose Texas, the state with zero regulation, over Florida, the state with regulation and umbrellas and reviews and so forth. That seems like a no brainer.

There is no such thing as a "recognized diploma." You get to make up a transcript and the diploma. You say if your child graduated. This is true in every state as far as I know. But some universities and colleges have different rules for homeschoolers - different requirements beyond the "home school diploma" and you'll need to look at specific universities to figure that out.

alumalarkey
07-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Hiya!

I'll be following along with great interest as we're in midst of setting ourselves up to be roadschooling (currently at PS) RV full timers! I'd been thinking FL this whole time but TX is sounding better. I'm sorry I'm not more helpful, but I adore what you're doing and hope to do similar!

halfpint
07-28-2014, 01:13 PM
How about ID? We are a haven for homeschoolers because we have no regulation, but I don't know how the RVing thing would affect that. I guess it would depend on the residency requirements.

Nixie
07-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Explain what you mean about ID? If you mean homeschool ID, I guess in FL we would make one up with the umbrella school's info. In TX, we would just make our own. In IN we had to register with the Dept of Education and they gave me a number which I then used to make up my own.

I was wondering if anyone from FL has homeschooled and has applied for the BrightScholars scholarship. That is pretty much the only thing that makes me keep wondering about FL. (Well that and the new TX auto regulations, but that is a whole nother matter.)

Teri
07-28-2014, 01:55 PM
ID is probably Idaho?

What are the new Texas auto regulations?

Nixie
07-28-2014, 02:18 PM
LOL sorry about that. I took ID as "identification". Texas is doing away with the sticker thingie for state inspections and requiring people to now have an updated inspection certificate before they can register their vehicles. That poses a problem for Rvers because we might not be in TX to be able to get an updated inspection. Before you could update your registration online, and waive the inspection until you were in the state. You had 72hrs after coming into the state to update your inspection sticker. Now the way the law is written, (which is coming March 2015) this isn't possible. We will be in TX for a little bit this year, but next year who knows.

Nixie
07-28-2014, 02:19 PM
I am hoping they figure it out before March because a lot of full timers use TX as home base. Most haven't even been back in the state in years.

Nixie
07-28-2014, 02:44 PM
The reason why most choose TX, FL, SD, or AK (we won't be driving up to AK anytime soon), is because of lack of state income tax and easy residency requirements. Lack of state income tax is really important because if you are like my hubby, he will be working in multiple states during the year. If you reside in a state that collects income tax, you will owe it whether or not you are working in that state. Also things like if you can renew car registrations online is important , so you don't have to venture back to that state if you don't have to. Also, for us, smog inspections are a no go. We have a huge Chevy 3500 dually that pulls our camper. I know it won't pass emission testing and would rather not "reside" in a place that requires them. There are many companies set up in SD, TX, and FL that full timers can use as an address to establish residency. Just an FYI for those who were wondering...

sdvelochick
07-28-2014, 04:17 PM
That is just such a cool thing to do! No advice, just wanted to offer some positive energy and hopes that you're able to get it figured out :-D

halfpint
07-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Gotcha - that is a lot of variables to compare! ID is Idaho, and we do have income tax, but pretty easy residency requirements, no HS requirements, no state emissions tests (certain counties do their own), and you can get new stickers for your car by mail. Looks like it'd just be the tax thing that would count us out.

Teri
07-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Oh yeah, I knew about the inspection tied to the registration. I kind of see it as a good thing...only one sticker to deal with. You can get the inspection up to 90 days before it expires. Texas is a big state, you couldn't swing into it once a year if you are claiming residency here?

Nixie
07-31-2014, 04:18 PM
It all depends on if we are in the area and such. Depending on where we are, that could be a lot of gas to just register the truck and camper. It could also mean we give up a job opportunity just to head to Texas. I am sure we could figure it out, but it would be nice not to have to worry about it. I think the plan is gonna be to become TX residents in 2015 and reevaluate in 2016. If it isn't working, we can always head to FL and register there.

reefgazer1963
07-31-2014, 11:39 PM
We're in Virginia and the laws are easy to follow - file your NOI and test 1X per year is the option we use. Virginia colleges are very homeschool-friendly and recognize the diploma you issue.