PDA

View Full Version : Reviews for Excellence in Literature?

crunchymum
06-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Has anyone used this?

Excellence in Literature by Janice Campbell | Reading and writing through the classics. (http://excellence-in-literature.com/)

Any reviews? I like the looks of it but wonder if it is rigorous enough at the higher levels.

tia

crazyme
06-17-2014, 02:53 AM
I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with this as well. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a go next year no matter what. I really like the book list--I feel it gives a good representation of the classics. I went to an average but decent public school and a small liberal arts college and I would say that there are several college-level books on the list, although perhaps someone with a more rigorous background would disagree.

I studied creative writing, so I'm not worried about the writing end of it (plus, we are taking it very, very slowly), but would be interested to hear how well the literature is taught. I've already started on discussing literary devices with my son, but I am hoping that this program will give a more formulated way of teaching/learning how to read in-depth.

darkelf
06-17-2014, 03:00 AM
I majored in English at a major university and don't see any college level books there. In fact my soon to be 10th grader has covered quite a few of these and will cover several more next year. (He goes to a small HS)

groovymom2000
06-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I just purchased the first one for us to use this year (13 years old). Compared to what our local high schools read/offer, even at the Honors level, it's quite rigorous. But we will see. This is not my DS's favorite subject, and he is not planning on being an English major, so hopefully we will fall in the middle somewhere. We will be doing the "honors" option.