PDA

View Full Version : An apology

Wilma
08-28-2010, 01:56 PM
I posted something along the same lines in the What Makes You a Secular thread, but I wanted to send this out in case some of you missed it.

When I replied with the sheeple post, I DID not, in any way, mean to imply that there is a cult of personality on this forum. The cult of personaltiry exists in the real world among homeschoolers. I saw it in CA and I see it where I live now. In fact, it is the lack of a "go to" figure here who seem to project the aura of having all the answers that I find so appealing here. I love that the strong opinions often expressed here are respected, or at least treated kindly, even if they are not always agreed with by all of us.

Anyway, I am really sorry if I insulted any of you by the omission of the word "here" in my post. I can see how it would have been interpretted in a way I didn't intend.

wild_destiny
08-28-2010, 02:23 PM
No problem, Ann! And thank you for clarifying that. Personally, I am hoping that you will start some of the engaging and interesting threads that you are so known for. Looking forward to that...but no pressure. (Yeah, right!) Kind wishes your way! :)

SherryZoned
08-28-2010, 02:41 PM
I was in agreement of your sheeple post. Takes a lot to insult me.. lol

laundrycrisis
08-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Wilma, your apology got me curious so I had to go looking for your sheeple post.....I'm glad I did because I think it's fabulous !!

I have been an anti-herd my entire life. Trends just don't work for me - they go against my grain. I see them happening and see through them when others around me don't even recognize that they are occurring and are being swept up into them. I have always felt like I am on the side, watching these swirling patterns, shaking my head as I watch others spin around in them. It's frustrating and often lonely...but not lonely enough for me to jump in. I love it when I find someone else who sees through them.

farrarwilliams
08-28-2010, 03:57 PM
I saw that a couple of people had misread it, but I knew what you meant and I totally agree.

Lolov
08-28-2010, 06:34 PM
I may be new here, and not very active, but I want to say thank you for apologizing... I wasn't offended (as someone upthread said, takes a LOT to offend me LOL) but I think in our world, too often, people don't apologize when a simple "I'm sorry" would do wonders. Sometimes, it takes a lot of courage to apologize, and I want to let you know that your effort is appreciated and celebrated :)

You rock :D Besides, I lurve your avatar!!

chelleah
08-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Nice to see we are not alone. Sometimes we get so down, we start to think there is maybe something wrong with us. We are athiest when it comes to god but have loads of other beliefs - we're freethinkers , if it resonates with us, then that is the path we explore until we find what fits right and then add it to the rest of the beliefs. It is fluid, constantly evolving, growing and changing. Back home in Africa, I never experienced fundamental christianity (or any religion that was fundamental besides Jehovah Witness) and although we were brought up Catholic (my gran Catholic Irish), my mum and her sisters were constantly checking out other churches and beliefs as they always felt either something was missing, or that there must be more to life than just recycled dogma. In the UK, we experienced no religion. The area we were living in were even turning churches into shops or the like due to lack of people to fill the pews. The schools are secular (unless you go to a religious school), so religious education was an open forum and all the major religions plus various others were brought into the classroom and paganism inc. wicca was totally acceptable in the part of the UK we were in. Where I live now in AB it is so conservative. I thought eveyone was like this when we first arrived and it was a shock to the system. Now that I have made some very good friends, I realise that not everyone here is fundamental-religious. What I have not managed to do is find homeschoolers who have kids the same age as my teen and who are secular. I am talking about people who won't even let their kids go watch Avatar as it might interfere with their beliefs. I had to even say to the teacher that enough already with the Jesus stuff as it was upsetting my daughter -kind of making her feel like she was inferior for not believing in what they believed or not one of the group. She/I get shunned by some people when they find out we are not religious and when they run in packs, I just feel like running away. It is hard to keep positive and focussed on believing that one day we will find homeschoolers here who are like-minded and open-minded regardless of their own beliefs, where we can be friends and have good socials without having to watch every single thing we say in case we upset them. I feel like we have a long journey ahead of us until we get there.

StartingOver
08-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I was not offended !! Wasn't totally sure who the comment was directed at, but was not upset in anyway.

But had a lot of fun on facebook with the idea of leading a cult of mostly over 40, crazy homeschooling moms LOL. We have pink sparkled robes, good drinks, and hot pool boys to serve them. I had some amazing giggles.

Wilma
08-28-2010, 09:59 PM
We have pink sparkled robes, good drinks, and hot pool boys to serve them. I had some amazing giggles.

And you didn't invite me? Now I'M hurt.

wild_destiny
08-28-2010, 10:13 PM
You can totally join, Ann, but remember your pink robe--that is a must in this cult! That and the hot pool boys! "Hot pool boys...hot pool boys...here hot pool boys!"

StartingOver
08-28-2010, 10:27 PM
And you didn't invite me? Now I'M hurt.

LOL The link to my facebook is right there in my signature ...... come on over. We have been having a blast. :D

We have some ultra crazy funny gals here that are over there too LOL

Anyone can join the fun !! If they aren't easily offended. We could never say half the stuff here LOL.

Wilma
08-29-2010, 12:01 PM
At some point I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a facebook account. Just like I am going to have to give into the world of texting. But I shall remain a Luddite as long as I can. Just send me some wine when you crack open a bottle.

StartingOver
08-29-2010, 01:17 PM
At some point I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a facebook account. Just like I am going to have to give into the world of texting. But I shall remain a Luddite as long as I can. Just send me some wine when you crack open a bottle.

I had to give in and get facebook. My son is in Japan, and hardly calls. So it is how I get all the updates on him. I had an account a while before then, but I never used it. LOL

Will send wine !