PDA

View Full Version : 6th grade reading

Deli76
05-30-2014, 01:23 AM
Do any of you have a great 6th grade reading list? I would like dd to read a couple of classic books for next year. If there is a q&a to go along with it, that would be a plus! Thank You!

freerangedad
05-30-2014, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by classic books. How old does a book need to be to be considered a classic? The Giver is a wonderful book that is often assigned to 6th graders. The rest of the books I can recommend are very modern.
Inkheart is a wonderful book that I have read. I was going to recommend Stargirl and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, but they are 7th grade level.
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate and The Fabled Fifth Graders Of Aesop Elementary are on my 6th grader's reading list, but I have not read them yet. I am on page 48 of The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, and so far, I think is an example of very good writing.

Deli76
05-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Thank You Freerangedad. I haven't heard of a few of those. I will definitely check them out.

fastweedpuller
05-30-2014, 11:22 AM
OMDog freerangedad, my daughter is on her 3rd reading of Calpurnia Tate! And fortunately the unit study she is doing this summer (http://buildyourlibrary.com/new-unit-study-darwin-and-evolution/) ASSIGNS it, woot. The unit study might be right up your alley, considering how science-oriented you are. We're finishing up the 3rd week of 8 and she's loving it.

Deli76, the most comprehensive list PLUS study guide website that I have found has been here:
Glencoe Literature Library (http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/)
But I have also had pretty good luck going through Amazon's Listmania! lists, which show selections folks have put together for whatever purpose. Here's a link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-content-search/results?ie=UTF8&flatten=1&query=6th%20grade%20reading&search-alias=rp-listmania) to that.

I am a firm believer in study guides to go along with reading, and I generally just google the selected book title study guide or lesson plan. I am usually able to find something I can turn into a PDF and print out for the kid to fill in as she reads it. Mainly because I want to ensure comprehension, but also because we get good conversations out of the process...and according to DD I assign these things "because you're mean sometimes." heh.

Mum
05-30-2014, 02:20 PM
If you go to Rick Riordan's website, he has a lot of links to lesson plans and unit studies that go along with his Percy Jackson series. I consider them "Instant Classics".

reefgazer1963
06-01-2014, 05:30 PM
You should check out Ambleside Online;l they have a grade-level reading list that is loaded with classic reads.

HickoryGlenFarms
06-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Some secular things here, some are not. Use at your own discretion. But a lot of good books, nonetheless.
Summer Reading List Suggestions | Memoria Press (http://www.memoriapress.com/onlineschool/summerreading)

Jen V
06-08-2014, 08:26 PM
If you go to Rick Riordan's website, he has a lot of links to lesson plans and unit studies that go along with his Percy Jackson series. I consider them "Instant Classics".

This is amazing news. My daughter loves his books!

Here's a direct link (http://www.rickriordan.com/my-books/percy-jackson/resources/teachers-guide.aspx) to Rick Riordan's Teacher's Guide page.

Free Thinker
06-08-2014, 09:42 PM
That RR site is awesome! I will definitely have to read some of them aloud to the kids this year.

Deli76
06-10-2014, 01:09 AM
Thank you all for the sites. I finally got to look at some of the books on the sites. Awesome selection and guides!

jsaffold
06-10-2014, 01:54 PM
This is amazing news. My daughter loves his books!

Here's a direct link (http://www.rickriordan.com/my-books/percy-jackson/resources/teachers-guide.aspx) to Rick Riordan's Teacher's Guide page.

Yes, thank you for the link!!. My daughter has apparently been wanting to read the Lightning Theif for ages ..she was DENIED in PS..buggars!! So this is perfect. I showed her the web page and she got super excited!! I LOVE that she now gets excited about reading books... never happened in PS!.. with one exception of the "Bad Kitty" books when she was younger..still a favorite fun read that she reads to little brother..giggles galore.

darkelf
06-10-2014, 02:14 PM
I was looking at this to plan #3's summer reading list and I LOVE the glencoe link! Thank you!

CrazyCatWoman
06-10-2014, 03:37 PM
The Tanglewood School Curriculum-grade 6 (http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/grade6.htm) These are supposed to be by grade level. Go to the Glenco link for some of the stuff to go with it.

dbmamaz
06-10-2014, 05:37 PM
I for some reason had not gotten in to the Rick Riordan books - even tho Orion loved them. Maybe thats what we will read together next? idk, he's still reading Harry Potter independently. which i dont want to squash, but there's no way I could find time to read the RR series on my own

Mum
06-10-2014, 07:14 PM
I for some reason had not gotten in to the Rick Riordan books - even tho Orion loved them. Maybe thats what we will read together next? idk, he's still reading Harry Potter independently. which i dont want to squash, but there's no way I could find time to read the RR series on my own

It was an easy hook for ds because he has LOVED learning about Greek History and Greek Myths this year.
(sorry. I think the RR thing has derailed the original point of this thread.)

farrarwilliams
06-10-2014, 08:25 PM
I think Riorden is a complete one note writer. He has one writing voice and no real dimension to his stuff. I feel like at this point, he's just churning them out, honestly. But they're fun, light reading for kids. My boys are both reading Heroes of Olympus right now.

farrarwilliams
06-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Deli, I personally would say to read books, the way FreeRangeDad suggested, and then just discuss them. If you look online, you'll find reading questions for most of the well known books kids read in school. And classics all have things like Spark Notes that can help you teach them.

I'll add some suggestions... Some of these are newer, some are "classic middle grades novels." Really, most of the Newbery lists are still very much appropriate through 6th and 7th grade.

A Wrinkle in Time
When You Reach Me
A Mango Shaped Space (and anything by Wendy Mass)
Walk Two Moons (and most of Sharon Creech)
Out of My Mind
Tuck Everlasting
One Crazy Summer
Savvy
The Midwife's Apprentice
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

For classics, these are some classics commonly read by middle schoolers:

Tom Sawyer
The Call of the Wild
The Hobbit
Fahrenheit 451
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Watership Down
The Outsiders
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Little Women
A Christmas Carol
Anne Frank's Diary

darkelf
06-10-2014, 09:22 PM
I think Riorden is a complete one note writer. He has one writing voice and no real dimension to his stuff. I feel like at this point, he's just churning them out, honestly. But they're fun, light reading for kids. My boys are both reading Heroes of Olympus right now.

he was better with Mark of Athena and House of Hades. We started reading them in late Elementary and still read them today. We even have the new one preordered.

Deli76
06-10-2014, 09:40 PM
We discuss books.Im not much of a reader ( I cant sit still long enough, im too active, and when I do read...I wanna fall asleep lol). Im not really aware of what books there are to read at her level. I see what they read in school, and quite frankly, they aren't very interesting. A guide to go along with it to challenge her and to make sure she's comprehending the book is a plus for both of us. Some of the books that were mentioned here I haven't heard of. Which is what I am looking for. This is what I like about homeschooling. She can read a book that she likes, and doesn't have to pick from a small cardboard box in her classroom. ( I found that disturbing) I hope others find this post as interesting as I do. Great reading lists and sites!

Jen V
06-11-2014, 08:54 AM
I found this a while back and had it on my spreadsheet for free resources:

Penguin Reading Programme (http://www.penguinreaders.com/par/teachers/download-area.html) has teacher's notes, worksheets, and answer keys for their publications available as pdf downloads.

All of their books are listed by level, and it looks like 6th grade would probably be level 3. Some of the titles for that level are: The Pearl, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, & The Yearling.

darkelf
06-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Hewitt Homeschool offers a great program for 7-12 grades. (You can just purchase the curriculum, you do not have participate in their program)
I used the 8th grade program and both my Ds and I enjoyed it.

You might want to look into it.

darkelf
06-14-2014, 09:50 PM
I found this a while back and had it on my spreadsheet for free resources:

Penguin Reading Programme (http://www.penguinreaders.com/par/teachers/download-area.html) has teacher's notes, worksheets, and answer keys for their publications available as pdf downloads.

All of their books are listed by level, and it looks like 6th grade would probably be level 3. Some of the titles for that level are: The Pearl, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, & The Yearling.

Huck Finn is not a 6th grade..........

And the Yearling and The Pearl are tough reads. (Subject matter) I would be hesitant to have a sensitive child read either. (Until later)

CTmamaJody
06-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Brave Writer has a monthly newsletter type curriculum supplement called, "The Arrow". You can order it for the whole year at once, or on an individual basis. Each month a different book is featured, and they send you a teaching guide to go with it that includes basic comprehension questions, writing conventions, and grammar. We used it over the winter and enjoyed it.

dbmamaz
06-15-2014, 02:55 PM
I read the yearling in 8th grade and it was so emotionally exhausting I cant imagine ever reading it again. I read the Pearl in high school and couldnt figure out why anyone would ever read it voluntarily.

Otoh, I started reading Lightening Thief to Raven last night - I miss the higher language complexity of the Artemis Fowl series already, but Raven LOVED it and begged me not to stop reading. I've never read them, so I'm sure I'll manage.