PDA

View Full Version : CPO Earth Science?

hockeymom
05-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Has anyone used this? Planning ahead for next year...

TIA!

sands31210
07-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Has anyone used this? Planning ahead for next year...

TIA!

Just seeing your question.

We used CPO Earth Science for 6th grade, also had a 4th grade tag along. It was the first year my kids really enjoyed science. Loved the lab activities (investigations)!! I purchased the student textbook, teacher's guide and investigations manual through Amazon. I then went through each investigation and wrote up a supply list and purchased all the items I needed from Home Science Tools. This way I had everything on hand and would do the investigations. It was like having a science kit.

Each chapter is broken off into several sections with about 5-10 review questions and sometimes a quick lab. At the end of the chapter there is a 20 -30 question review. The review has vocabulary (fill ins), key ideas (multiple choice), short answer questions, and a few critical thinking questions.

We started the year off reading the chapter sections together and doing the review questions orally. By the end of the year the kids were completing the section readings and questions independently and then we would sit together and go over it. We would then usually do all the hands on activities the day before the chapter review.

The hands on investigations made the program. Really enjoyed it.

hockeymom
07-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks for your response!

I've just finished going through all the Investigations (I also made a supply list) and am really impressed with their depth. I'm also glad to see I don't have to buy much for them. :) I should be getting the book in the mail today and I'm so excited to go through it and plan out extra resources. I may have to tweak some things around so we can study rocks before the snow falls and makes it impossible to study what we have around us.

I'm surprised no one else uses this book. I don't see Earth Science mentioned much here for middle school. I'm excited to get started! :)

hockeymom
07-02-2014, 09:20 AM
We started the year off reading the chapter sections together and doing the review questions orally. By the end of the year the kids were completing the section readings and questions independently and then we would sit together and go over it. We would then usually do all the hands on activities the day before the chapter review.

This is exactly what I'm envisioning/hoping for. :)

Peaceful
07-03-2014, 12:18 PM
I keep looking at CPO but am not sure what to order. Thanks for the clarification. I was piecing my own together but I'm getting tired I just want to have a plan to follow. Science is my son's least favorite subject I've been following his lead with it so it's been scattered. Entering middle school I feel like we need more structure. How long do you spend each week on this?

hockeymom
07-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Well obviously I haven't started it yet, but I'm planning to do it most days of the week. DH is taking over algebra at night and that *should* free up an extra hour+ during the day (fingers crossed), so I'm hoping to not have to alternate history and science.

I only ordered the text. The "investigations"--or labs-- are available on the website under "student record sheets", so you just need to print them out. I haven't had a chance yet to see if the teacher manual is needed or not. Fwiw, we found the text used on Amazon for around $20.

Eta: there are 2 options: the full text, and also a text called Foundations of..Earth Science. It looks a bit lighter and shorter from what I can tell, but some schools use it and it can be found online for free. So there is that option, even if you just wanted to look through it (the CPO website has a great preview too).

leav97
04-27-2017, 07:41 PM
Just seeing your question.

We used CPO Earth Science for 6th grade, also had a 4th grade tag along. It was the first year my kids really enjoyed science. Loved the lab activities (investigations)!! I purchased the student textbook, teacher's guide and investigations manual through Amazon. I then went through each investigation and wrote up a supply list and purchased all the items I needed from Home Science Tools. This way I had everything on hand and would do the investigations. It was like having a science kit.

Each chapter is broken off into several sections with about 5-10 review questions and sometimes a quick lab. At the end of the chapter there is a 20 -30 question review. The review has vocabulary (fill ins), key ideas (multiple choice), short answer questions, and a few critical thinking questions.

The hands on investigations made the program. Really enjoyed it.

Any chance you still have the supply list?

modmom
05-01-2017, 08:55 PM
I think we are going to be using this for next year. Glad to see such a glowing review!