PDA

View Full Version : I Like This Poem...Great Poetry Book

aspiecat
05-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Not a book on the study of poetry, rather a collection of poems chosen by kids from age 6 to 16. It's called "I Like This Poem" and is a wonderful anthology of poems incredibly diverse and interesting. It was published originally in 1979 and I got my first copy only a few years later.

It is a rare thing to find a book which doesn't prescribe what poems kids ought to be reading - most books are collections of "these are suitable for such-and-such an age". The editor of this book, Kay Webbe (who has since passed away), thought it would be interesting to ask kids what poems they themselves liked - and she chose a few from each age-group's picks.

I used this throughout my middle and high school years when choosing a poem for the speech exams I did each year, and to this day have a copy of this book to read from time to time.

Aspie

farrarwilliams
05-05-2014, 03:19 PM
That does look cute. I haven't seen that one. The Amazon cover and art look pretty recent - it looks like it must have had a good reprint at some point.

Elly
05-05-2014, 03:51 PM
I've had this since I was a kid (with the 'Year of the Child' cover). It's sitting among all my poetry books, pages falling out...

Elly

aspiecat
05-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Farrar, yes, the new cover looks lovely.

Elly, I had that Year of the Child copy as well! I lost it years ago but bought a new edition a few years ago...I cannot imagine not having it.

Aspie

Elly
05-05-2014, 05:46 PM
How funny! My copy is from 1982, when I was 8, so I guess a good time for being given it. I like coming back to it with my son, because he tends to pick out different poems to the ones I have always read. It's like getting a new life from the book!

aspiecat
05-05-2014, 06:55 PM
I think I got my own copy around the same time, maybe one year earlier, at age 12.

It is one of my two favourite books from my childhood.

asim595
07-09-2014, 05:00 AM
Yes, it is very nice poetry and I like this poem.

popsicle1010
07-10-2014, 03:14 AM
Thanks for this suggestion!