PDA

View Full Version : Hits and misses so far?

Wilma
08-22-2010, 10:23 PM
I know many of us homeschool year round (like me) but we are back to full on school with co-op starting a couple of weeks ago. Already I have a miss. I got Famous Men of the Middle Ages from Memoria Press. Lovely, lovely text and illustrations. Lousy, lousy workbook. No word banks for the tests, maps are find the location only, no coloring or marking, not enough room for answers. I'll be switching to SOTW and supplementing with FMMA.

OTOH, Saxon continues to be a hit. I am teaching an algebra class. We have added some more students to the high school class and my daughter (13) loves her co-op work. The moms in the group are all for tweaking it and I think we will be turning it into more of a unit study class. I've decided it is nice having just a few moms who are open to tweaking so we can fit the needs of the class. They seem to be enjoying their Cambridge Latin.

My middle dd (12) may be joining the high school class. She is pretty bright, and is a little too young for the high school class and a little too old for the middle school class. But the other high school teacher knows her and knows her abilities, so she will grade accordingly. DH and I have decided to let her choose where she wants to be. She worked really hard over the last couple of years (her choice) and is burned out.

My youngest dd (10) is just happy with school. She is really getting into reading and is working her way through the Harry Potter books.

So, what is working and what is not for you all?

Busygoddess
08-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Let's see...........

I'd say pretty much everything is a hit this year. I think I might stop having Jay do his timeline. We don't get to it as often as I want & he's not really enjoying doing it. So, maybe it's one of those those things that will need to wait for a few years. Other than that, he's loving everything we're doing & using for school. The only thing we're using for him that I'm not completely thrilled with is his Math. We've been using Mastering Mathematics since last year. It's a mastery program, which I like. Each main concept gets its own book (Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division, Decimals & Percents, Fractions), and each book also covers some additional concepts (measurement, time, Roman Numerals, Graphing, etc). I like all that, too. What I don't like is that the reviews & info I read before purchasing the whole program (1st-6th grade level Math) mentioned that there was some minor religious content in the story problems, but forgot to mention that all sections on graphing expect you to graph stuff from the Bible. So, I have to skip the workbook Graphing sections & find other stuff for Jay to graph. Other than that, I love this Math program. I like the approach, the games, the layout, and the fact that I got 1st-6th grade level Math for less than $200 total. Most of all, I love that he can use it at his own pace (which means it won't last until 6th grade) & he enjoys it.

I have no problems with Dea's school materials either. I think the only new program for her is Life of Fred. She enjoys it much more than any others we've tried. She still hates Math, which does cause some problems, but I don't think we'll ever find a Math program better suited to her.

schwartzkari
08-23-2010, 09:06 PM
I bought my daughter Hooked On Phonics Spanish and that was a complete bust. Totally not worth my 30 dollars and the time it took me to download the cd/dvd onto my computer, lol. Otherwise, everything else is working. My daughter is very vocal when she doesn't enjoy something so if it doesn't work, I'm quick to find something else for her to do! ;)

She does start an art class next Monday at a local art studio. I'm interested to see if this will be hit or miss for us. It is geared toward homeschoolers who are ages 5-9 years old. I'm not completely sure how secular the program is but we try to go with the flow and if she doesn't like it, then we won't return for the Spring semester!

Riceball_Mommy
08-23-2010, 10:39 PM
So far everything curriculum wise is a hit. Especially Calvert Math, Talena has been doing a couple of lessons of math at a time most of the time. We're about 10 lessons ahead there. Everything else with Calvert is working out pretty well, I've been customizing a bit and adding on some workbooks. The new Disney School Skills workbooks are working out real well to.
Our misses so far come from the co-op schedule that just doesn't work for us, so we won't be able to participate in that. Talena also has lost interest in trying ballet and I can't really find another class, aside from the co-op, that she wants to do.

hockeymom
08-24-2010, 08:43 AM
So far so good for us. It's been a slow start to our "official" school year due to preexisting summer commitments, but we are enjoying easing in. I'll be glad to have more of a schedule starting next week, and I think DS will too.

I'm on the fence with MEP--some days I feel really positive about it and DS really enjoys the challenges, other days I feel frustrated because there isn't enough instruction for me (!) and he is reluctant. So I've started adding in a book on multiplication and division to supplement, and he likes that.

The big hit has been our study unit on Ancient Greece. We are making a lapbook for the first time, and while I think it's nice to have a place to put his knowledge, as it were, we haven't been too successful in trying to figure out what to put in it. The pages I've found to copy on other sites are too young for him and don't allow for enough individual touches (writing, art). We'll get it worked out.

We are still pre-testing his spelling words, trying to figure out what level to start a spelling program. He's doing really well so I'm not sure how much emphasis we'll put on spelling right now. It did take since mid-last year to deschool him of his teacher's policy of using "kid spelling". Finally we are over that (bad) idea!

Overall we've already touched on many ideas that I thought I wouldn't introduce until much later in the year, so I guess we're ahead of the game. He's having fun, I'm trying not to stress out too much, my husband keeps reminding me that anything we do at home is more than he'd be getting at ps, and we're all thankful he's at home. :)

inmom
08-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Wow, I feel like such a homeschooling slug. We're not "officially" starting until after Labor Day, so not sure yet what will be our hits and misses. I applaud those of you already hitting the books!

Sarbare0704
08-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Wow, I feel like such a homeschooling slug. We're not "officially" starting until after Labor Day, so not sure yet what will be our hits and misses. I applaud those of you already hitting the books!

I agree! I am feeling behind! Hopefully once I shake this cold I will be able to finish the school room and get started! Lucy only asks me like 354612 times a day!

StartingOver
08-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Everything this year is a big hit !! One read aloud I am going to move to the end of the year to try again. Family Under The Bridge is just not holding his interest at all. No big deal, I have tons of others hanging around we can use LOL.

Last year with Quince I had a few, but it wasn't to bad.

2honeysmama
08-24-2010, 10:34 PM
We are slugs, too;) We plan to school year round but once summer arrives our schooling becomes even more unschooled than usual... My daughter is currently reading the Harry Potter books (they are at the end of book 4) to her 6 year old brother and they are obsessed. Owen and I have also had fun with the Klutz book "Bang, Splat, Kablooey". He loves making potions and blowing things up in some fashion so it fits the bill without actually using explosives :rolleyes:

Grayce (my 9 yo dd) and I started a mother-daughter journal a few weeks ago and that has been really neat. We write back and forth to one another. It's making me realize how much she is growing up!

Everything else we will segue into after Labor Day...

Chandra
mom to Grayce (9) and Owen (6)

wild_destiny
08-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Chandra, I love your idea about a mother-daughter journal. What fun! And think of all the memories you will have when both of you are older. Think I will borrow your idea and use it with my daughter!

Berta
08-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Today completes our first week back schooling. So far I am very pleased with all of our choices except for the Math U See for my younger daughter. Last year we did the Primer and she did well. It was pretty self explanatory so I didnt bother with the DVD or the manipulative cubes. This year we started with Alpha and its a bust. My daughter is so NOT interested in watching the video and just wants to play with the manipulatives. After the third day I said forget it. I ordered a different math program that I had considered last year.

Topsy
08-27-2010, 11:14 AM
BIG miss for us was the "Editor in Chief" grammar software for high-school. WAY more in-depth than I ever care to go in grammar - - and I was an English & Writing major!!! :p We have now ordered the Chortling Bard from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Chortling-Bard-Caughtya-Grammar-Giggle/dp/0929895258) as a replacement, and hopefully it will be much more up our alley.

Big hit for us was a series of books by Berlitz Publishing which don't seem to be in print anymore, but which I happened to find at a bookstore this summer called "Learn Spanish with Superman, Learn Spanish with Batman, etc." They take a graphic novel approach to teaching foreign language, and with a very visual learner like my younger son, this is fast becoming his favorite subject of the new school year!!

Another hit for us is the Thinkwell Algebra 2 course for my 16 year old. He actually laughs out loud at the lessons, which I would have given anything for when it came to Algebra in school!! ;)

Wilma
08-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Everything this year is a big hit !! One read aloud I am going to move to the end of the year to try again. Family Under The Bridge is just not holding his interest at all. No big deal, I have tons of others hanging around we can use LOL.

Last year with Quince I had a few, but it wasn't to bad.

We read that book in book club. The woman who hosted the meeting set her backyard up as a gypsy camp. So, we loved the meeting, but I can't remember how we felt about the book.

BPier12
08-27-2010, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Topsy;13317] We have now ordered the Chortling Bard from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Chortling-Bard-Caughtya-Grammar-Giggle/dp/0929895258) as a replacement, and hopefully it will be much more up our alley.

This looks great, Topsy! Thanks for mentioning it. We're huge Shakespeare fans around here and I haven't ordered anything for grammar study yet. I think this will fill that void quite nicely! :D

wild_destiny
08-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Too funny, Ann! "We loved the meeting, but I can't remember how we felt about the book."

ksb427
05-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Big hit for us was a series of books by Berlitz Publishing which don't seem to be in print anymore, but which I happened to find at a bookstore this summer called "Learn Spanish with Superman, Learn Spanish with Batman, etc." They take a graphic novel approach to teaching foreign language, and with a very visual learner like my younger son, this is fast becoming his favorite subject of the new school year!!

You wouldn't happen to still have these, would you? ;)