PDA

View Full Version : Be a Data Detective! (Probably for 6th grade and up)

Searcher_2010
04-18-2014, 11:55 AM
This was a fun 5 min task. Go to this article and look at each graph/chart and figure out how they are trying to misrepresent the data. The last example is especially fun!

How to Lie With Data Visualization|Ravi Parikh (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/raviparikh/lie-with-data-visualization_b_5169715.html)

farrarwilliams
04-18-2014, 02:17 PM
The first image is Cuisenaire Rods! (yes, I'm obsessed with C-rods)

hockeymom
04-18-2014, 03:32 PM
My son loves this kind of stuff. He scrutinizes commercials and advertisements, always on the lookout to catch discrepensies and data manipulations. The Verizon commercials are currently his favorites. :)

farrarwilliams
04-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Oh, those Verizon ads are a study. Like, what idiots can't tell that's the US anyway? And they're great at eliminating all other data, right? Like, look at this one measure of quality (coverage of the nation as a whole) and now make your decision based only on that (ignoring our epically lousy customer service, our prices, our contracts, or whether or not our coverage is actually best in your area).

BakedAk
04-21-2014, 01:10 PM
This is cool. And even with my two, who are in 4th and 2nd grades, showing them how people can misuse charts will make learning about them more interesting. There are always some chart/graph interpretation questions on standardized tests, and they are so stupid my kids wonder why on earth the powers that be keep asking them.

CreateMagik
05-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Great find -- thanks for sharing!