PDA

View Full Version : Annual test for 9th grader and future high school testing

ksb427
03-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Okay, so I'm trying to figure out if my 9th grader could take the CAT this year and then start with the "big tests" next year. A local friend starts her kids on the SAT or ACT in the 9th grade as test prep. It seems that will start soon enough in the 10th grade, but perhaps I'm missing something?

9th grade: CAT

10th grade: PSAT in October for SAT practice and PSAT practice for 11th grade; ACT in the spring to comply with NC's annual testing requirement

11th grade: PSAT in October, SAT or ACT in the spring

12th grade: SAT or ACT in the spring

Honestly, by this time, I would have already had this set, but this past year and the end of last year have been rough to say the least. :(

Thank you for your help with this.

inmom
03-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Looks good to me. My kids did NO testing until they took the PSAT and did just fine. If you feel your 9th grader needs some test prep, just buy or get at the library one of the PSAT, SAT, or ACT prep books. Practice at home without all the stressors of an official test.

Just my two cents.

ksb427
03-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Looks good to me. My kids did NO testing until they took the PSAT and did just fine. If you feel your 9th grader needs some test prep, just buy or get at the library one of the PSAT, SAT, or ACT prep books. Practice at home without all the stressors of an official test.

Just my two cents.

What you wrote makes a lot of sense. It just seems like overkill to start in the 9th grade unless you need the test results for a program such as DukeTip, etc. Thanks for your feedback.