PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll: If you could pick and choose, what would it be?

Topsy
08-11-2010, 03:52 PM
If the public school system were on a "cafeteria plan" for us homeschoolers, which things would you want to be open to homeschool participation?

(you may choose more than one option on this poll)

StartingOver
08-11-2010, 04:51 PM
I have absolutely no desire to be entangled with the public school system in any way. I fear the lines will get blurred, and lead to more regulation of homeschoolers.

hockeymom
08-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree with Jana. I have no interest in the public school system after our experience there for a year and a half. Thankfully I don't think DS or DH have any interest any more either.

Shoe
08-11-2010, 05:52 PM
While I agree with Jana and hockeymom, my kids feel otherwise. Since they spent several years in the public school system and made a lot of friends there, they have a great interest in attending many of the school social events (i.e. middle school dances) and my daughter has expressed some interest in some of the extracurricular activities. In NH, homeschoolers are able to participate in extracurricular activities (and, in fact can even take some individual classes) in the PS, and the schools are not allowed to put any more restrictions on HSers than their regular students.

I don't have any interest in having the kids do much else than those social activities that my children are requesting within the public school system while they are being homeschooled for exactly the reason Jana articulated-that it might lead to more government regulation of home education.

Theresa Holland Ryder
08-11-2010, 07:08 PM
When we lived in Utah, my son took Band from the public school system. Because UT is very liberal with its homeschool policies, this didn't cause us to become overly tangled up with the school system or anything and he did enjoy the experience. Even though there were a lot of homeschoolers, the only thing even vaguely like a band or choir done by the homeschool groups was a signing choir-- they did ASL to pre-recorded music and didn't sing along. If there would have been enough interest to do a homeschool band or regular choir, I would have preferred that. As it stood, participating in public school band was as good as we could get.

It was a learning experience on several levels. The school principal was delighted to have Son in band class the first semester. The second semester, when Son went to Band, he found that the principal had gone and registered him for a full roster of classes instead of just Band. He assumed that after Son experienced the wondrous joy of public school, that he would of course want to be there full time. Son gave him a polite no and nothing more was ever said about it. Then son came home and gave me an earful! He couldn't understand how any sane person would willingly choose to spend all day long in what he referred to as "a mold filled dungeon, run by the inmates".

Riceball_Mommy
08-11-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm not sure if there is anything I'd really want from the public school at this time. We can already get sports from the rec councils, the homeschool group we belong to has plenty of clubs, and I've already found some homeschool proms (just in case we go that far) for the future.

farrarwilliams
08-11-2010, 10:22 PM
There's nothing *I* want from the public schools right now or any time in the near future. BUT, I think we pay for these schools and if other homeschoolers want any of the things listed above, they should have access to them - at least through one school in their district. I agree that dealing with the public schools leads to entanglements that I'm not in support of. But if anyone wants to accept them in exchange for the services, then more power to them.

callie
08-11-2010, 10:58 PM
My son would love to be able to play football. He was able to play in our local Civitan league up until this year, he is too old now. I also think he would like to participate in some of the clubs if given the chance. Unfortunately that is not an option here, so we keep trying to find homeschool groups that have activities for older kids.

Kylie
08-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Since we have never been a part of the public school system (only 6 months of prep) I am with Jana.

schwartzkari
08-11-2010, 11:54 PM
I chose other because my family doesn't want anything to do with the public school system. My daughter has friends, dance class as an extracurricular and there are plenty of homeschooler friendly activities in our area. There's a reason we don't associate with anything that public school has to offer. ;)

QueenBee
08-12-2010, 08:51 AM
I chose the extracurriculars, etc., option. Part of me agrees 100% with above posters about the slippery slope and homeschool regulations. And I don't particularly want to be entangled with the public schools in any way, shape, or form. However - I don't live in an area where there are many activities for homeschoolers. Band or the school symphony would be fantastic. I don't know that my kids would be interested in sports programs, but at least it would be an option. Same with chess club, or photography club, etc. In my area it's hard to find something like that for homeschoolers (except in the largest group here - they do have chorus and other things, but they are highly religious and you must sign a statement of faith, and it's 45 minutes away). The private schools that open their doors to homeschoolers are conservative Christian schools so it's not an option for my family. So it's fair to say that if I had the choice, I would take advantage of the extracurricular programs offered by the public schools.

Topsy
08-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I have absolutely no desire to be entangled with the public school system in any way. I fear the lines will get blurred, and lead to more regulation of homeschoolers.

Totally meant to add that as an option and then forgot, now of course it won't let me go back and change it...arggh. Thanks for piping in, though!!

LJean
08-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I would prefer not to use the public school system, but did choose the extracurriculars. The YMCA only has sport activities and my daughter isn't interested. It would be nice to find a club or group that she would be interested in.

jettyspagetti
08-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Our district extends the sports, music and chorus programs to homeschoolers from 6th grade to 12th grade. I'm not sure if we will take advantage of the opportunity or not but I like that its an option rather than paying for private programs. I think it will really boil down to the individual instructor and their teaching/coaching methods.

artmomz
08-12-2010, 03:20 PM
This poll got me curious, and I went to go have a look at the public school website where my son would go if he wasn't a homeschooler. I wanted to see what kind of programs they did have, but I hardly found any life there at all. The website was shockingly drab and depressing. I've seen several public school websites here and there, and that one was the worst I've ever laid eyes on.

Anyway, maybe it's my suppressed graphic designer side which is not currently in use, but I can't help judging schools who can't digitally engage their students at least somewhat in this day in age.

camaro
08-12-2010, 03:50 PM
I picked sports and field trips. We don't have much against our public school but because of how small it is, there isn't much extra it can offer that we can't offer ourselves. But there is a sport or two the boys might be interested in (actually there's only a couple of sports they do anyway) and the field trips might be fun so they could hang out with their friends. Being in a rural area there isn't a homeschool community to be involved with.

fbfamily111
08-12-2010, 05:49 PM
I would really like the option of all of them. If we could pick and choose what we want to be involved with that would be great. Having just moved to Charlotte area we are still trying to find "socialization" types of things to do, that WON'T break the bank. I would really love to find a foreign language course for less then $100 (taught by someone other then me... can you say no habla espanol?)or soccer ($90 and they only provide the t-shirt!). But as everyone else has mentioned this would only work IF the PS could refrain from putting their nose into my business and I know that'll never happen.

Melyssa
08-12-2010, 06:12 PM
I would choose foreign language or music classes, and social activities whatever they may be. Other than that I'm not too interested in it as a whole.

Elizabeth
08-12-2010, 11:20 PM
We had 4 years of public and a little over a year of special education school (called private but funded by the public schools) and we have homeschooled for a year and a half now. One thing the public school had finally done after being on my son's IEP was offer some social skills groups. I really like this idea as my son really needs a safe forum to expand his social skills. I have just found out about a local secular group and I may be able to sponsor a social skills effort there. We shall see. :cool:
I am very happy I no longer have to fight for the type of education my son needs.

inmom
08-13-2010, 10:08 AM
In a perfect world, I chose the first three: courses, extracurriculars, and sports. HOWEVER, we would only do this on our terms. Which means, of course, that we don't in reality. In Indiana, a student has to be enrolled over half the day at some schools, full day at our local school system. So the choice just isn't a choice for us.

Firefly_Mom
08-13-2010, 02:12 PM
I know of some homeschoolers in the area (none in our particular district) who have done some classes and/or sports through the ps, but they have extra requirements put on them by the district that go way above and beyond the state homeschool requirements. That, alone, is why I would never consider it.

mommykicksbutt
08-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I would choose "none" or "nothing at all" so I didn't vote. Our local school allows homeschoolers to take classes, use their library and teacher materials, participate in school activities like sports and band, and join in on extra-curricular activities like after school clubs and dances. We don't use any of it. I can do a better job with the classes, their library is severly lacking (my home library is better for our needs), I have all the materials (and then some) that I need for my son's education, sonny plays piano and takes lessons that require public performances, sonny is not a team sports person and the individual sports that he does they don't (like karate and fencing), he does 4-H, field trips, paint-ball, dances, and just "hangs" at the youth center in the neighborhood. So why would I want to send him to the school to be bullyed by those hoodlums?

InstinctiveMom
08-16-2010, 03:48 AM
I think it would depend, in large part, on how 'involved' they would want to be. If it was something we could just participate in without being subject to reporting in or anything like that, then it would be great to have some of the extra stuff available that my taxes pay for instead of trying to fit them into the family budget. I don't think that's realistic though :)
~h

kathsoren
08-17-2010, 09:01 AM
I chose the first three...granted the quality and school entanglement thing may not be so great, but it is often the only option. There isn't much in my area in the way of band, theater, organized sports, etc for homeschoolers (ok, maybe there's nothing at all or all strictly religious). So, I'd love to have the OPTION. There are some things that my kids are interested in that I just can't provide from just myself or my local homeschooling community. Though, I would certainly hesitate because I tend not to like the kids at PS, but....sports programs on an individual basis only get so far before they fizzle out and I have kids who could really benefit. Also, there just isn't much in the way of theater, band and art...so....

MissKitty
08-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I have no interest in doing anything that involves the public school. They already are trying to get us to use the virtual programs to acquire more money, and already have done underhanded things to try and force home schooling families to bring their kids to public school.

Gwenhwyfar
08-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Our public system does allow participation in extracurriculars, or in specific classes, if you want to go that route. We'd been looking at that option for dd13 this year, but she's changed her mind about it.

I don't have a problem with anyone doing it - everyone needs to do what is right for their children. :cool:

rxte1
08-20-2010, 07:14 PM
My first thought is: chemistry lab. because we cannot legally set up a home chemistry lab.

In Texas, a permit is required for certain chemical lab equipment and glassware:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/criminal_law_enforcement/narcotics/narcprecursor.htm

All of the better-quality chemistry equipment kits include one or two items which are illegal in Texas. Buying the chemicals and glassware individually is not a good option because of cost (and time).

We will probably stick with "computational chemistry", and focus on the mathematics, until DD is old enough to take a chemistry course at the community college.

Of course, it could be that the whole controlled glassware thing is part of a ploy to drive Texas homeschoolers back into the school system.

StartingOver
08-20-2010, 09:27 PM
My first thought is: chemistry lab. because we cannot legally set up a home chemistry lab.

In Texas, a permit is required for certain chemical lab equipment and glassware:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/criminal_law_enforcement/narcotics/narcprecursor.htm

All of the better-quality chemistry equipment kits include one or two items which are illegal in Texas. Buying the chemicals and glassware individually is not a good option because of cost (and time).

We will probably stick with "computational chemistry", and focus on the mathematics, until DD is old enough to take a chemistry course at the community college.

Of course, it could be that the whole controlled glassware thing is part of a ploy to drive Texas homeschoolers back into the school system.

LOL I would be tempted to get a permit, just because. Mine just went to the community college for science labs. No big deal to me. It was cheaper than putting together a quality lab in my home anyway.

Ed Ditto
08-22-2010, 09:16 AM
The a la carte approach would be nice. For instance, we have an excellent ag program at our local high school. Kids work in a greenhouse, tend small animals, etc. We also have a decent band for a rural county school, and a first-rate girls' softball team.

I'll have to check chem lab law where I live...great point. Whole lotta shake-and-bake being cooked around here, if you get me.