PDA

View Full Version : AP experience?

Epona968
01-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Does anyone have experience with any online AP courses? DS is starting his junior year and feels the need to have AP on his transcript, the actual class, not just the results of the AP exam. We're looking specifically for Science and Lit.

ikslo
01-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Rearing a weapon of cultural subversion since 1998.

My DS isn't at this level yet, so I can't help you there. But I must say I LOVE your signature. :)

inmom
01-20-2014, 06:17 PM
My son is currently taking AP Computer Science online here: https://users-mooc.amplify.com/

The course is at the half-way point right now. It's free and sanctioned by the College Board as an "Official" AP course. He's getting around a 90% in the course. We had to arrange for him to take the test locally, though. A private school a couple of towns over will allow him to take it along with their students in May.

A student can just study for the AP tests and take them, but as the transcript writer the parent can't list it as an AP course unless it has been vetted by the College Board as such. In my opinion, it's no biggie if that's true. The good AP score would stand as proof that the student knew the material.

As other options, can he try dual credit or college courses locally? You might also want to look into CLEP. My two have a mix of college courses, AP, and SAT subject tests.

Epona968
01-20-2014, 07:56 PM
As other options, can he try dual credit or college courses locally? You might also want to look into CLEP. My two have a mix of college courses, AP, and SAT subject tests.

Thanks. He did a course at the state university a few summers ago, but our local community college refuses to let him take classes until he passes his 16th birthday. (According to the admissions dept., he isn't mature enough to handle college yet. :rolleyes: ) I'll have to check for more info on the CLEP.