PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming Dyslexia

zette
01-11-2014, 10:41 AM
This book discusses the latest about detection and treatment of dyslexia, and the components that every reading program should have. While the author assumes every child is in public school, and targets her advice toward what schools need to be doing, if you keep the mindset that YOU are the teacher and the curriculum committee, there's a lot of good information here that can inform your reading instruction.

asim595
07-09-2014, 05:01 AM
When it will be come?

CrazyGooseLady
02-14-2016, 11:39 PM
I liked this book. It had a lot more information than the standard web page stuff, and really helped me to define why one of my kids is dyslexic, but the other, who had some similar issues, was not. She had helpful advice as to what types of curriculum, some suggestions of curriculum and things that teachers can do.

The one thing I did NOT like is that she says that ONLY trained professionals can successfully treat dyslexia and parents should NOT try homeschooling children with dyslexia or tutoring them at home. Even though some of the things she mentions can be done by parents at home.

But...based on her recommendations, I did finally find two curricula that worked for my son. The first only went to 3rd grade and he still needed reinforcement, which is why we needed the second, Logic of English which was not mentioned by her but fits the criteria.

A good read for a parent or grandparent who is in denial about a child having dyslexia, as long as they can overlook the part about the parent not doing the schooling.