PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for statistics textbook

inmom
01-09-2014, 04:55 PM
I'll be teaching my daughter her last math course next year as she will be a senior. We're looking for recommendations for a statistics textbook. She intends to be a creative writing/journalism major, so we're looking for something along the 'statistics and society' line. Something definitely mathy but not too much so. She will have completed Precalculus at that point.

My son used Triola's Elementary Statistics: Using the graphing calculator TI-83/84 plus, as he intends to be a computer science major and wanted something more rigorous. I'm a licensed former math teacher, so teacher editions and solutions manuals aren't necessary. Any recommendations?

Overhere
01-21-2014, 09:50 AM
I'll be teaching my daughter her last math course next year as she will be a senior. We're looking for recommendations for a statistics textbook. She intends to be a creative writing/journalism major, so we're looking for something along the 'statistics and society' line. Something definitely mathy but not too much so. She will have completed Precalculus at that point.

My son used Triola's Elementary Statistics: Using the graphing calculator TI-83/84 plus, as he intends to be a computer science major and wanted something more rigorous. I'm a licensed former math teacher, so teacher editions and solutions manuals aren't necessary. Any recommendations?

I've used this (http://www.amazon.com/First-Second-Statistics-Daniel-Wright/dp/1412911427) for professional development stuff, and it's great. It's intended for psychology and other similar majors in college, and is clear and well written. It's also really, really funny, particularly the chapters where the author rants against poorly designed charts and other statistical sins.

inmom
01-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Overhere:

Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds like something my daughter would enjoy...or at least not rail against as being too theoretical mathy.