PDA

View Full Version : Colllege dual credits on high school transcript

inmom
10-04-2013, 11:28 AM
I have seen so many different version of how to include college course credits on a high school transcript that my head is starting to swim. For those of you who have had kids take dual credit courses, how many credits do you give each course? For example, typically I assign 1 credit for a full year taught-at-home course. But I've read that some parents give 1 credit for each semester long course for college courses, instead of a half-credit. What have you done??

dbmamaz
10-04-2013, 01:12 PM
I"m not doing record keeping at that level, as my teen is heading to community college (only community college), but when my daughter was dual enrolled with the public school, they required 2 1-semester courses to count as a 1-year high school class.

kohlby
01-04-2014, 04:28 PM
When I taught high school, we had block scheduling. So the kids took 4 classes for double periods each semester. They would get 1 credit for each class. If a college class is a 3-4 credit class that lasts one semester, then I would count it as 1 credit and think of it as block scheduling. Make sure you look up the colleges you're considering too. I was looking up one today and it said if you took a dual enrollment class that they wouldn't let it count for both college and high school - you had to choose. That was a more selective school though. If you find that the college course work doesn't take about double what they normally did when taking a year long course, then I'd count it as half a credit for a semester.

ScienceGeek
01-11-2014, 07:01 PM
You can put on the transcript that 120 hours = 1 credit (a year long course) That seems to be the most common definition of a 'credit' that I have found. My oldest is going to be 9th grade next year so I just made a transcript for this past fall semester and estimated hours for things etc - wasn't as hard as I thought and after that I had a good feel for how much credit to give each class.

Accidental Homeschooler
01-11-2014, 08:14 PM
A friend of mine who teaches high school Spanish says one year of language at the U is worth two in high school. So I will give my dd four years of high school language credit for two years of college foreign language classes.

popsicle1010
01-12-2014, 02:00 AM
Ack! I am not ready to start thinking about this!!!!

head spin head spin head spin