PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll: Do you work and homeschool?

Topsy
07-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Can I admit something here?? Just between friends? I am EXHAUSTED!! Summer is supposed to give you a chance to catch up, and get projects done, and play with friends, and drink lemonade, right??

But working 25+ hours a week (of which SHS is just a small part) can make summer feel a little like "just more of the same." Granted, we aren't doing projects and book discussions, and watching as many educational videos, but between housework, scheduled activities, and work, my summer days still blur together a lot.

Today, my family got a well-deserved "play day" with friends, and I appreciated every minute of it. If nothing else, working and homeschooling makes you very aware of the quality of your time.

So what about you?? How many of you are juggling work and homeschool?

schwartzkari
07-28-2010, 08:53 PM
I chose other because I'm a stay-at-home mom and even though I don't work outside the home, I definitely work inside it! LOL :) I did work for 8 years in retail, and after my daughter was born, I quit. I worked for a little while before my son was born, but it didn't feel right, so I quit again and I've been at home ever since. We've been lucky enough that my husband found a good job to support our family of 4 without my financial help. I enjoy staying at home, running our homeschool and taking care of my family. I'm sure once my kiddos become teenagers, I will want to find a part time job again but for now, they are all the work (and more!) that I can handle!

And I gotta say, I admire anyone who works a job AND homeschools!

JinxieFox
07-29-2010, 01:58 AM
At the moment, I work from home as a writer (and, yes, am fortunate enough to get paid). Of course that will continue. With the divorce, I will probably work outside the home, at least part-time. For now, the answer is that I work at home. :)

Shoe
07-29-2010, 02:59 AM
I work full time outside the home in an emergency department, as well as taking the primary responsibility for homeschooling. Over the last year, I've also had the dubious pleasure of taking on the primary responsibility for managing the household and household chores due to my wife's injury. So I certainly know what is exhaustion. My hat is off to any single parents out there-I don't know how you manage it! Sleep is a luxury I can't afford :(

paganmomblog
07-29-2010, 05:57 AM
I chose other because I work both in and out of the home. I am an accountant for the family practice. I have the ability to go into my office at night after dinner, which has been a blessing as it gives me some quiet time all alone. Sometimes though I do stuff here at the house. So I work where convenient lol.

rxte1
07-29-2010, 08:51 AM
I still do part time work on rare occasions, but at the moment I do not work. I took a "temporary" break from the rat race about five years ago, and quickly found one or two things I would rather do with my life, even if we do have to live on the edge of a financial precipice.

If we fall off the edge, I'll go back to work.

Rick

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." -- Bilbo Baggins

StartingOver
07-29-2010, 09:18 AM
I had planned to continue to work in the family business after the little ones were born. But that just didn't work out. Quince was preemie, and a low immune system that required I stay home. Then Emma came along with her allergies. My father has retired and the family business is closed, so I am home for the duration. I don't mind at all though. Who knows maybe someday I will go back to working outside the home.

For now I am busy with kids and grandbabies.

ginnyjf
07-29-2010, 09:57 AM
I've worked since the age of 14 and I've been fortunate to have many varied and interesting jobs (publishing, sign language interpreter, medical transcriptionist). I recently was a medical QA editor working from home but my company lost its contract with that client and I've not worked since. It's been a year and I'm still dealing with the guilt of "not contributing" even though I've taken over almost all household responsibilities. I'm still on the books for emergency and relief assignments, but those have been few and far between. I'm finding I'm very suited to taking care of the house and homeschooling! I don't anticipate a return to work until Zack is much older.

Marmalade
07-29-2010, 11:10 AM
I work full time outside of the home-as far as the homeschooling goes... I do the planning-he does the implementing.

inmom
07-29-2010, 11:29 AM
I work part-time from home tutoring, so my hours are mostly afternoons and evenings. I also do all of the homeschooling and most of the household chores, since my hubby travels so much.

hockeymom
07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
It was always our plan that once we had kids, I'd stay home. We've been very fortunate to live comfortably on one income, and plan to continue as long as possible. I did work as a TA in a kindergarten class for half a year when DS was in ps and it was great fun. Because I was in the same school (the classroom right next door to him) and worked the same hours as school, it worked out great. I even thought I might try to TA permanently, but homeschooling is working out MUCH better!

Riceball_Mommy
07-29-2010, 03:11 PM
I choose other because I'm only working on getting my career as an artist off the ground. I took this year off from shows and competitions to build up my portfolio, but I do have a commission that I'll be working on soon.
Also I have been slacking the last few weeks I've completely blown my deadline for my last drawing (all personally set deadlines right now) and I really need to finish it soon so I can work on the commission.

Jilly
07-29-2010, 06:13 PM
As a single mom I have to work. I have been able to work from home, and this has been a blessing for all of us. Some days I get tired, but it is worth it!

jab300
07-30-2010, 12:32 PM
When we first started homeschooling 11 years ago I worked outside the home evenings and homeschooled during the day. It sucked! Things are tight, but we are getting by on dh's salary for now and things run so much smoother! Especially since dh travels a lot. I think it's good for people to realize that homeschoolers come in all varieties. ;)

Bellanina
07-31-2010, 12:41 PM
I work at 2 part-time jobs outside the home, sometimes a day shift others an afternoon shift, it really varies. Hubby is a farmer so this is his busy season. He does the majority of the homeschool teachings since I'm gone a lot for work (he can keep the schooling more consistent this way). But during the summer farm season we don't do nearly enough as I'd like, to keep things fresh in the kids' minds.

But we do what works, when it works, and the kids seem to learn ;)

paganmomblog
07-31-2010, 12:53 PM
As a single mom I have to work. I have been able to work from home, and this has been a blessing for all of us. Some days I get tired, but it is worth it!

What is it you do? I am trying to do more WAH because my regular job is in slow time and want more work. I am finding that WAH jobs are quite competitive. I had 4 rejection emails this week :(

Gwenhwyfar
07-31-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't "work" currently...I've done private childcare while homeschooling - well, not WHILE homeschooling, but on weekends/evenings/summer/etc. Actually that was part of the problem at one point - some of the people that I did childcare for wanted me to mind their younger kids WHILE we were homeschooling and that just. did. not. work.

camaro
07-31-2010, 08:57 PM
I work on the farm and also work off the farm occasionally (spring and fall are busiest for that) as well as being the primary homeschooling parent. My wife works two part-time jobs, too. It seems we often pass each other at the front door. Fortunately farming gives me the flexibility to do homeschooling but it also makes for some juggling to keep up with my work. I was out until 2am baling hay last night.

Suki
08-01-2010, 05:43 PM
No one here has mentioned why *I* work: Because I'd go insane if I didn't! I have such awe of you who feel fulfilled and inspired by being homeschoolers, and I bet you're better at it than I am. But if I didn't have my own work, which takes me away from my kids (though just up to my office) and gives me a sense of who *I* am outside of being their mother, I really wouldn't be able to do it. So whenever I think, Boy, I should stop working and spend time with my kids, I always reply to myself, Yes, but if I didn't do this, I'd be a really crabby, unfulfilled, unhappy homeschooling mom.

Busygoddess
08-02-2010, 01:32 AM
I own my own business selling supplemental educational materials. I'd be creating the materials, anyway, since I originally make them for my kids. I don't sell them until after we've used them, because we sometimes make changes or additions as we use them. Then, I add some finishing touches & put them on the site. So, there really isn't a lot of my time that's dedicated specifically to my business - just doing the final touches & working on the site. I decided to sell them because I can't be the only one who has such a hard time finding materials & hoped to help other homeschoolers. I'll never become rich from my business, but the idea that the materials I create could help someone is enough for me to keep it open. I also have a few books that I'm working (slowly) on writing & might get around to finishing the kids books I started writing a few years ago.

MamaB2C
08-02-2010, 08:56 AM
But if I didn't have my own work, which takes me away from my kids (though just up to my office) and gives me a sense of who *I* am outside of being their mother, I really wouldn't be able to do it.
I kind of envy that you find work inspiring and fulfilling. I find it something necessary in order to eat and have shelter LOL. I wish work offered more than that for me, since I spend so much time doing it.

It took us 14 years to become parents, so I had plenty of sense of who I was, and who hubby and I were as a couple, without kids. I would dearly love to be a full time mom and teacher, but that isn't possible for us so I make the best of WAH.

Gwenhwyfar
08-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I kind of envy that you find work inspiring and fulfilling. I find it something necessary in order to eat and have shelter LOL.

Yeah I've never had a job that I really found "inspiring and fulfilling" either. I enjoyed childcare, but I didn't *love* looking after OTHER peoples' kids... and most of the other jobs I've had, I REALLY didn't like 'em. Coffee shop, pizza place, telemarketing, fish plant, cutting down trees, cashier, maintenance at a dept store, blah blah blah BORING. Okay, the tree cutting stint wasn't really "boring" - chainsaws and tractors are quite fun - but I was working with a guy who was a self centered PITA and a bit nutty to boot. (my boyfriend at the time, of course.)

StartingOver
08-02-2010, 02:05 PM
I have the perfect job that is inspiring and fulfilling. I am mom, wife, teacher & grandmother.

All I ever dreamed of as a child was to have children and be a mom. That dream has been expanded a bit now. But there is nothing else on earth I would rather do. I wouldn't change one thing from my past or my present, it has all lead to here. I am completely content and satisfied !

schwartzkari
08-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I have the perfect job that is inspiring and fulfilling. I am mom, wife, teacher & grandmother.

All I ever dreamed of as a child was to have children and be a mom. That dream has been expanded a bit now. But there is nothing else on earth I would rather do. I wouldn't change one thing from my past or my present, it has all lead to here. I am completely content and satisfied !

Me too Jana! I have tried twice to work outside my home and for me, it just doesn't fit. I enjoy spending the days with my children and taking care of them and our household. What makes it even better is knowing my husband appreciates it all and thinks my job is harder than his. HA HA HA :)

StartingOver
08-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Me too Jana! I have tried twice to work outside my home and for me, it just doesn't fit. I enjoy spending the days with my children and taking care of them and our household. What makes it even better is knowing my husband appreciates it all and thinks my job is harder than his. HA HA HA :)

Mine too !!! If I take off for a couple of hours, he can't wait for me to get home. He knows my job is hard, he is only a mechanic 44 hours a week. My job has no end, it is 24-7-365.

leav97
08-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Normally I work 45 hours a week. Now through the end of Nov I'm working ~60 hours a week. I use to handle math and reading at night. DH is now doing them during the day. I handle getting copies made, any thing that needs to be printed, trips to the library, and any school work that happens on the weekend. I'm tired.

DDuckie
08-04-2010, 10:47 AM
I work during the school year at a preschool two mornings a week. My MIL takes the kids while I'm there. Last year she helped them with math and some spelling; this year I'll be sending things with the kids for them to work on.

At least, that's the plan. ;)

hslingmomto4
08-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Normally I work 45 hours a week. Now through the end of Nov I'm working ~60 hours a week. I use to handle math and reading at night. DH is now doing them during the day. I handle getting copies made, any thing that needs to be printed, trips to the library, and any school work that happens on the weekend. I'm tired.

I sound like you or vice versa. We absolutely have to work. My husband owes 91K in student loans and I owe just 20K under his balance while helping our eldest pay for her college. We have four children and 3 of them are currently being home-schooled. My eldest child is a sophomore in college. She is a homeschooling graduate. I had the summer months off and it felt great. Now, I'm returning to work. The next few months are going to be stressful with homeschooling,work and moving. We've done it before but this time, my work is over an hour away. My husband works from home two days a week so he is able to assist them in their schooling needs. I work four days a week. So there is 3 days during the week and the weekend to get our schooling goals in. At first, I felt so guilty because we'd stop going to the group meetups but most kids their age (7th-11th) stop attending the meetups/co-ops. We're members at the YMCA and are able to enroll them into Art classes.
I thought I was the only one. Glad to see that I'm not alone.

InstinctiveMom
08-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't work, but I volunteer a lot. I'm a breastfeeding counselor and I work with/run a women's advocacy org. in my city that hosts things like playgroup and mom's support meetings.

AshleysMum
08-26-2010, 10:46 PM
How to reply to this? Ok, technically I don't "work out side or from home". But I work! I don't have a "job". I am married to a truck driver who is only home on weekends, so I have the whole ball of wax during the week - house, finances, kids, etc. and homeschool. I will say this, if I were to work outside the home again, even FT, I'd still homeschool.