PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions on materials to use for History

Marlis
08-13-2013, 11:08 AM
I am planning to work with my eight grader on World History post WWII into present times. What supplemental information, links, ideas etc do you recommend we should use to enrich the experience?

lakersey
08-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Hippocampus has really good video; USHistory.org and Digital History both have free online textbooks and other materials; Annenberg Learner's America's History in the Making and their Biography of America series are both excellent. All of those are pretty US-centric. For more modern World History, check out World History for Us All - they have a complete online curriculum. You might also check BBC Bitesize - they would have more global history.

dbmamaz
08-18-2013, 12:50 PM
yeah, sorry, havent gotten there yet. never covered it in high school, either. actually, we didnt even cover WW2. pretty sure it was never covered in my education

ksb427
08-18-2013, 12:57 PM
And there are post ww2 world history videos (https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/history/euro-hist) on Khan Academy as well. I may have some sites on my History Pinterest board (http://pinterest.com/ksbnc/history/) too.

farrarwilliams
08-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Do you want resources or a curriculum? For a spine, you might look at K12's Human Odyssey textbooks.

For resources, there's so many movies and fiction books you could do for that time frame. Come back and give us more guidance and I may have more ideas.

Marlis
08-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the tips.

BTW, my thirteen year old daughter is into all the same stuff. Gaming, Dr.Who, History. But she is a also a MEGA science nerd.

Marlis
08-24-2013, 12:07 PM
No. I am not looking for a curriculum. But the idea about movies etc is great. Thanks!!!

Marlis
08-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Oh, cool, I didn't think of Checking on Khan Academy, which is odd since we practically live on it. Thanks!

CrazyCatWoman
08-27-2013, 12:11 AM
American Experience, PBS, has a fair number of episodes that would be of interest. While it is technically American History, you still have a lot of events that relate to world history. Also, look into movies and plays...Sound of Music, Evita both come to mind as things we watched last year. Even Indiana Jones can be watched if you want to talk about the background history that frames the movies.

sdvelochick
08-27-2013, 01:37 AM
There is a show on PBS called "Call the Midwife" and I think it would be very helpful for teaching what post WWII London was like. Definitely pre-screen it for your daughter, nothing really graphic, but it is about a midwife so there is birth/death/disease. But overall I think the message is a great one for a teenage girl. I think it is based on a book too, but I haven't read that :-)