PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella School

twylyth
07-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi, we are in Tennessee, and we do use a loosely-religious umbrella school, but I would love to find a secular umbrella school. Any thoughts?

MamaB2C
07-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Are umbrella schools required in your state? A quick glance makes it look to me like umbrella schools are called "church schools" in TN as they are here in AL.

What I found here in my state was that some did not require a statement of faith and were hands off, though are called church schools to meet the state requirements.

Did you want one that is both secular and hands on, or just your legal covering that leaves you alone?

In TN I found one that is secular and hands off http://sites.google.com/a/thefarmschool.tv/fs/fsah

We are very excited to be able to offer an alternative for homeschool families that, for whatever reason, are not comfortable registering with their Local Educational Agency (LEA) or with a denominational Church Related School (CRS). We require no statement of faith and are not interested in mandating curriculum or any other decisions. We believe in responsive education matched to the needs, interests and experiences of individual children. And we believe that the adults best able to negotiate curriculum with children are the adults spending time with those children on a daily basis.

twylyth
07-22-2010, 01:36 PM
That is awesome! No, it isn't required, but it makes things much easier for us. I will look at the site when I get a chance. What a great find! Thank you!!!!!!!

smith
01-21-2011, 05:30 AM
hey everyone,,,,,,,,
We have always registered with the county, but I am wondering is it better to register with an Umbrella School?

What are the pros and cons of each way?

QueenBee
01-21-2011, 07:05 PM
hey everyone,,,,,,,,
We have always registered with the county, but I am wondering is it better to register with an Umbrella School?

What are the pros and cons of each way?

We've gone with both the county and an umbrella. For me, the biggest pros of the umbrella are (1) fewer reviews each year (one versus 2 or 3); (2) ability to peer review with a friend in the same umbrella (i.e., convenient); and (3) not having to deal with the insane county review which I found to be tedious and worthless. The cons are (a) you have to pay to join (for us it's $65/year and we don't get much more than the review; some are hundreds but offer much more by way of support and activities); (b) it's a religious umbrella - no statement of faith was required by the umbrella we joined, but "religion" must be taught (though they do accept non-Christian religion - i.e., world religions, mythology, etc.)

I'm sure that each state and each umbrella is very different. Our state does have a secular umbrella group, but we live so far into the middle of nowhere that it didn't make sense to join (we couldn't participate in any of the activities, etc.).

Hope that helps! ... and that others chime in! =D

momof1gr8girl
03-09-2011, 02:50 PM
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to see if anyone can help. I am switching from using an online charter school to straight homeschooling in Ohio starting next year (6th grade). I was interested in possibly using an umbrella school. I found Clonlara which I am more interested in for high school and The Oaks. However, I believe with both (for sure with Clonlara) you have to notify as a homeschooler with the district anyway and jump through all the homeschool hoops. They are just a guiding hand. I would be more interested in an umbrella school that actually served as the school in the state's eyes. Does anyone have any that I'm unaware of for Ohio?

Off topic, should you notify the district as soon as you've made the decision or wait until just before the start of the school year? There's part of me that says do it asap so you have time to "fix" it if something isn't right and the other side of me says why give them time to nit pick.

Jacki S Willard
08-26-2016, 11:05 PM
Satellite Campuses Program - The Farm School (http://thefarmschool.community/satellite-campus/)

ecc2016
08-28-2016, 02:41 PM
I did a little research and discovered that for the most part, homeschool parents are only allowed to create an umbrella school tied to some church. That being said, there are some pretty liberal churches out there (i.e., the Unitarian-Universalists), so maybe that could help.

Something else I found was that there are schools called category V private schools, which can be secular and don't require state approval or accreditation. One of these schools could be helpful, but I didn't really look at them -- they may not be designed for homeschoolers. Below is the link to the only list of these schools I could find, but it's got every other school in Tennessee in there, so you'll have to dig through it.

ecc2016
08-28-2016, 02:41 PM
The link would be helpful: http://www.tennessee.gov/assets/entities/education/attachments/non_pub_schools_2016-17.xls

Whoops, sorry.