PDA

View Full Version : How to get from TT7 to AoPS with a younger kid and crappy internet

PetVet
08-04-2013, 06:32 PM
My DD9 finished up TT6 over the summer "for fun" and is going to be starting TT7 this month. He's good at math - we supplement with SM CWP and various math contest problem sets and he figures out problems in his head that I need to use my (admittedly rusty) HS math skills to do - and he's been like this since he could talk. I like TT because I suffer from chronic health issues and appreciate a program he can do independently each day while I rest, but I would like him to do AoPS eventually and am wondering what to do in the interim.

To add to my quandry, we have crappy rural internet service and can't do Thinkwell or TabletClass. Is Zacarro (sp?) an independent student program? We did several of the LOF elementary books and I enjoyed them more than he did (altho I did see him rereading them, again "for fun", this summer), but I was thinking of having him do the intermediate series to buy a bit of time before AoPS PreAlg. If you've done the five books, how long did it take you? By age, he's going into grade four this year and I'd like to find something to do for 2-3 years before jumping into the truly challenging stuff.

If you've read this far and have any advice for me, thank you! :)

sdvelochick
08-04-2013, 07:46 PM
I found a really cool Pre-Algebra for 6th grade book on CK12 and I'm planning on using that at our core study for math this year. My ds is also going into "4th grade" and math just comes easy to him. The plan this year is to work through the book at whatever pace he chooses and slowing down/stopping if he comes to a section of difficulty. We are planning to supplement with additional math stuff including Life of Fred. Is there a reason why you don't want to start Pre-Algebra? As far as I can tell it is not really much different than 6/7/8 math. It's just more review for kids that need it. I personally stopped at 5th grade math and went straight to pre-algebra and never had any problems.

farrarwilliams
08-04-2013, 07:59 PM
The Zaccaro algebra book is really more supplemental.

Why not just jump in with the AoPS pre-algebra? If he finishes 7th grade math, even the slightly behind TT, then he really ought to be ready for it. It's written to the student.

dbmamaz
08-04-2013, 09:01 PM
we're doing the Zaccaro book now, after finishing LOF fractions and decimals. after that, we'll probably go on to pre-algebra, though it might be LOF - we have the first one already, and my boy much prefers funny math to serious math.

I dont think there's anything wrong w spending time on 'supplemental' math for a break from curriculum for a mathy kid.

oh, and if you want another diversion, Descartes Cover is a cd-based math 'supplement' aimed at gifted kids middle school age. kinda pricey.

farrarwilliams
08-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't do the Zaccaro book. We loved Primary Challenge Math and I'm excited to use all of his books eventually... More that it wasn't a full course.

DragonFaerie
08-04-2013, 10:49 PM
I don't know how independent it would be, but DS is using Dolciani pre-algebra in conjunction with AoPS for 5th grade this year. He got bored with TT and thus only did about 60 lessons of TT7 before we moved on. However mathy he his, though, I'm doing pre-algebra with him as I want to make absolutely sure he's understanding what he's doing, especially since he's still pretty young for it.

dbmamaz
08-04-2013, 11:15 PM
right, but between tt7 and aops pre-algebra there isnt room for a full curriculum

PetVet
08-05-2013, 12:40 AM
Thanks everyone!

I really need an independent program so that I can get some rest each day and I think I would have to help him with the AoPS curriculum at this age, going from book to videos to Alcumus, etc As well, I've looked through the AoPS PreAlg book and it found it both dry and difficult; I would hate to discourage him at such a young age... I'm going to order the Algebra text and see if we might be better to skip their PreAlg and go straight into Alg, as suggested by several posters on the WTM board. Finally, he does quite enjoy the TT format, so I'm wondering if he has the maturity level to tackle AoPS, especially on his own, just yet.

Have you done the Descartes Cove Cara? I read about it on the WTM board, looked at the website and wondered about it. What about Ko's Journey? Or would he be past that now? He does enjoy games, puzzles, mysteries, etc.

Would it be totally stupid to do the upper TT levels as an introduction, as I know he can do them independently, and then go back to AoPS when I think he is ready for it? Or better to do the games type stuff and LOF? I've also looked into Chalkdust and nearly choked on the price, but can swing it if need be...

dbmamaz
08-05-2013, 10:43 AM
I havent done either Ko or Descarte, tho i did buy a used copy of Descarte which is missing one disk. But my son doesnt want to try it for some reason. He seems to now like doing math on paper at the table with me at least reading the chapter part with him

I dont think there's anything wrong in doing some TT if you need a break. But arent they pretty $$ too?

anyways, my son LOVES Challenge Math and it has explanations with the answers in the back

PetVet
08-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Found a few ppl on WTM who did the following with their younger kids: TT7, then TT PreAlg, then TT Alg 1 & 2 - considered it a good PreAlg course and proceeded onto AoPS Alg afterwards.

Think we will do that. It will buy me some time where he can do math independently, while I 'teach' other subjects. MBtP moves to student directed in 9-11 (he'll be 10yo/G5), so if I help out while he learns to do that next year, he should be pretty indepedent in that for 10-12 and beyond. Then I will have time to help him navigate the AoPS math.

I picked up Zaccaro Challenge Math used on ebay and am going to order Descartes' Cove as well - I'm sure he'll love it and it's 40% off until Aug 15th! Skipping LOF for now :( I loved it, but he didn't and I can't find it used and will be way over budget for math now as it is. Still less than ChalkDust I think tho! ;)

Thanks for all the great ideas! :)

dbmamaz
08-05-2013, 03:56 PM
haha my son begged to do dragonbox for math again today . . . i'll be tempted to buy the next level pretty soon . . .

PetVet
08-05-2013, 04:11 PM
However mathy he his, though, I'm doing pre-algebra with him as I want to make absolutely sure he's understanding what he's doing, especially since he's still pretty young for it.

yes, this here as well. DS is very quick with the mental math and b/c he hates writing i have to hound him to 'show his work' all the time. and that's not going to fly pretty soon!

DragonFaerie
08-05-2013, 04:44 PM
yes, this here as well. DS is very quick with the mental math and b/c he hates writing i have to hound him to 'show his work' all the time. and that's not going to fly pretty soon!

This is what I keep telling DS, too. Sure, he can do most of it in his head now, but that won't last forever! Neatest totally counts, especially in math.

dbmamaz
08-05-2013, 04:45 PM
we got to the point towards the end of LOF decimals that he had to write down more work. and now in Challenge. its something i'm working him pretty hard on. well, except for the days i let him do dragonbox or timezattacks lol